Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Why are we being treated so differently than all the other people?

Author Topic: Why are we being treated so differently than all the other people?
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same is true throught the bible. I'm studying Jeremiah right now and he keeps telling people repent and turn back to God and He will forgive you and accept you back. Yet the people don't listen. I have also noticed that when Jeremiah speaks to the people, he says we instead of them. Jeremiah put himself in the same place as them, he didn't look down upon them even though he knew the Lord and they refused to know the Lord.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
People see Jesus in us and that frightens them.
They are nervous that they may have to make a personal commitment. Conviction probably enters their lives, which makes them very uncomfortable, and they may try to fight against.

If someone worships the sun, or the moon or the earth, or some graven image, those 'idols' ask nothing of them. They can bask in their own false sense of peace, if indeed they can manage to find it.

Very true. Just saw the below in the news:

The Christian Takeover Of America

The Chattanoogan - Chattanooga,TN,USA

... Take the Christian religion, which is the one that I grew up in, how can you reason with people who believe that God has a burning hell prepared for sinners ...

::::::::::::::::

Yes people don't want to have to answer to God so they create their own God to do what they want Him to. Has been happening since the beginning.

Like the 10 Commandments..... they want to do away with them because they know they will have to answer to God for breaking them. The only way for them to be justified on Judgement day is to have Jesus pay their sin dept. But they don't want to hear about.

All I have to say, is just keep telling them. Some will listen!

Plow on, plow on,
David

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing that I love about this story is that Jacob truly loved Rachel. Joseph and Benjamin were their son's so Jacob loved them very much. There were his favorite son's.

The same is true with us. We are God's favorite son's. Choosen and set apart above others.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely, Carmela, His Family is being blessed. For not only were the 11 sons family, but the LORD God had also sent Joseph up ahead of them, "to save them alive" in the land of Goshen and through the suffering of the blameless Joseph of being falsely accused of rape and cast into the dungeon, and brought out, to save lives, by two dreams of Pharaoh.

It's a great story. And it is family, and not just family, but a heavenly Family. For even then, there were 70 persons of Jacob-Israel, the LORD God's peculiar people already then, blessed, pursued by God, and favored by God.

But that Joseph taught them a good lesson, didn't he? My God, I cannot imagine the feelings and thoughts that those 11 brothers also experienced at the hands of Joseph ("it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living LORD").

He got them good; but in the end they were forgiven because a Greater Good or Greater God was at work, even "it was not therefore you who sold me into Misr Egypt, but God send me ahead of you, to save you alive".

As for Benjamin and Joseph, they were full brothers by Jacob-Rachel; Joseph was one year older than his brother Benjamin.

So when Joseph was 17 years old on his way to Dothan, Benjamin was 16 years old.

And when Joseph became vice-Pharaoh of Misr Egypt at age 30, Benjamin was 29 years old.

And when the 11 sons of Jacob-Israel stood before vice-Pharaoh Joseph, Joseph was 39 years old and his full brother Benjamin was 38 years old.

Benjamin was 38 years old when this happened in vice-Pharaoh Joseph's house in Misr Egypt.

Great story. God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

When I look at the story that you quoted BA I see something different. What I saw was that in this context what set them apart was that they are family so they are treated highly. They are treated better than everyone else because Joseph loves his brothers and he has forgiven them for the sin they had done against him.

The same is true with our heavenly Father. He sets us at the head of the table and He serves us His best portions because we are HIS family. He has forgiven us for the transgressions that we have done against Him because of His love for us as His family members.

Benjamin got the largest portions though because He is Joseph's real brother. If I remember right, they both have the same parents and the other boys did not. We are heirs to all that Jesus has been given because we are his brother's and sisters with the same bloodline that He has.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post peh. I would like to describe peculiar as 'different' or 'set apart.' There are scriptures that actually use the words 'pecular people.' Probably the word pecular was used in the Bible because believers are hard to figure out.Many don't understand Christians because there is a veil over their eyes.

Deut.14:2
For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth

Deuteronomy 26:18
And the LORD hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that thou shouldest keep all his commandments

KJV version of Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1 Peter 2:9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, BornAgain,

Such a good deep question surely deserves a good deep answer. I can't guarantee the latter, but the question intrigued me enough to give it a shot:

Scripture calls us a "peculiar people", and though the word there doesn't mean what "peculiar" means in present day English, it is meaningful.

For instance in Ezk 19:5 it says, "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:"

According to Strong's Concordance, the word "peculiar" there is implied by the word "treasure", meaning "valued property, peculiar treasure".

The Hebrew evidently carries the connotation of "particular" rather than "odd" as it is translated as "peculiar treasure" 3 times, "peculiar" twice, "special", "jewel", and "particular treasure" once each, according to the Hebrew Lexicon.

In Titus 2:14 it is said to mean "that which is one's own, belonging to one's possessions,
a people selected by God from the other nations for His own possession".

And in 1 Peter 2:9 it is defined as "a preserving, a preservation,
possession, one's own property, an obtaining".

Per Paul's teaching, the Gentiles were saved to, in part, make the Jews jealous (Rom 11:11 "I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.")

If our being made a peculiar treasure to God and being blessed in obedience, being filled with the Holy Spirit, and manifesting His life in and through our good works, would provoke the Jews, how much more those who have none of the promises, many of whom hate God Himself?

Though they may be unconscious of why they hate us, the spirit that drives the latter mentioned certainly knows and recognizes the Christ in us.

But specifically speaking of the brothers of Joseph, and the Egyptians not being willing to eat with them, there is Bible background which says that the Egyptians looked down as unclean on shepherds, which the brothers were, and apparently this status was recognizable to the Egyptians, either because all Hebrews kept sheep or by some other means. (Gen 46:34)

Funny, too, that those who worshipped so many animals, including their own made-up versions, should stall at sheep worship. Calling unclean what God has named clean has never been a good idea.

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People see Jesus in us and that frightens them.
They are nervous that they may have to make a personal commitment. Conviction probably enters their lives, which makes them very uncomfortable, and they may try to fight against.

If someone worships the sun, or the moon or the earth, or some graven image, those 'idols' ask nothing of them. They can bask in their own false sense of peace, if indeed they can manage to find it.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are we treated so differently than all the other people?

Genesis 43
27 And he asked them about their welfare, by saying, "Is your father still well, the old man of whom you had spoken? Is he still alive?"
Ply Twi start f warrior

28 Then the {11 sons} answered him, "Your servant our father is still in good health and he is still alive." And they bowed themselves down again a second time, and they made obeisance.

29 And Joseph looked up and saw his brother Benjamin, his own mother's son, and he said to them, "Is this your younger brother of whom you had spoken to me?" And then he {vice-Pharaoh Joseph} said to him, "God {Elohim} be gracious to you, my son."

30 But then {vice-Pharaoh} Joseph had to hurry, because his bowels longed for his brother. And Joseph sought a place to weep; and he entered back into his chamber and there he wept.

31 And after he {Joseph} had washed his face, he went out again, and this time he {was able to} refrain himself and he said, "Set on bread."

32 And they {his Misr Egyptian servants} set {food} on for him {Joseph} by himself and for them {the 11 sons} by themselves and also for the Misr Egyptians, who also ate with them, by themselves. For the Misr Egyptians were not allowed to eat with Hebrews; for to do so was an abomination to Misr Egyptians.

33 And the {11} brothers now sat in front of {Joseph}, and they were seated by age starting from the firstborn {Reuben}, who owned the birthright, to the youngest {Benjamin}; and the {11 sons} marvelled about that among themselves.

34 And {vice-Pharaoh Joseph} also took messes {of food} from before him {before Joseph} and he sent it to them. But Benjamin's mess {of food} was always five times larger than theirs. And they drank and were merry with him there.

They must have wondered, "Why are we being treated so differently than all the other people who have come to buy grain?"

God bless, [Big Grin] BORN AGAIN [Cross]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement