Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Bible Versions

Author Topic: Bible Versions
chaoschristian
Advanced Member
Member # 5273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaoschristian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upon re-reading this thread I realized that while many different translations of the Bible were discussed, actual versions of the Bible were not.

So, for example, what of the versions used by the Roman Catholic church, the Orthodox church, the Armenians, and the Ethiopians? Is there particular version for Coptic Christians? Any one here have any experience with any of those versions of the Bible?

--------------------
Why are you reading my bio when you should be paying attention to the post?

Posts: 109 | From: Snack Food Capital of the World (Hanover, PA for those of you who don't know) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaoschristian
Advanced Member
Member # 5273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaoschristian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hardcore wrote:

quote:
You like the NIV (nearly inerrant version) and The Message ( is that really a bible?), but avoid the KJV?

Hmmm.

Hmmm right back at you. Care to elaborate on what you mean by that?

The KJV does not have a special dispensation from God as being the only correct translation. Nor does its antiquated language convey any further or special meaning to the core of the Gospel.

I'll refer to it when it is necessary, but mostly I let it gather dust.

The Message is the Bible written in a very modern vernacular. I like it when I want to get a more conversatational feel for a particular passage. I don't rely on it as a sole source. I do like it because the version I have does not have all those distracting passage numbers. Numbering passages in the Bible has been one of the most ruinous practices in all of Christianity - and that is not hyperbole on my part.

I'm currently expanding my library of Bibles to include more translations and more versions, just so that I have them at hand for reference. While I do believe some translations are more technically correct than others, I do not believe that any one translation is the best.

--------------------

Posts: 109 | From: Snack Food Capital of the World (Hanover, PA for those of you who don't know) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chaoschristian:
I prefer the New Interpreter's Study Bible:NRSV. But I also keep the NIV, the CEV and The Message handy in order to make comparisons.

And while I like my NISB: NRSV I do not believe any one translation is the absolute best. I just generally stay within more modern translations. I avoid the KJV, the NKJV and anything that was translated and published more than 50-60 years ago.

You like the NIV (nearly inerrant version) and The Message ( is that really a bible?), but avoid the KJV?

Hmmm.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dws129
Community Member
Member # 1128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dws129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use several. For personal reading I usually use NIV. When I teach I use KJV because most of the congregation uses this and I think it is less confusing if everyone's reads the same. I also have NKJV, NRSV as well as some others.
Posts: 11 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the NIV and NKJV mainly. The NIV is very easy to read, but you must realize that it has quite a few major alterations in it.

Eg compare the following verses from NIV/KJV
1 John 4:3 - removes "flesh" (confessing Christ came in the flesh)
Phil 2:6 - removes Jesus being the Form of God and EQUAL
Acts 8:37 - removes a confession that Jesus is the Son of God, and a promise IF we Believe - OMITTED !
1 John 5:13 - removes believing on the name of Jesus
John 6:47 - removes who we believe on, Jesus Christ
Rev 22:14 - simply different - removes requirement to do God's Commandments
Gal 5:12 - why not just read the NIV version because you'd then know GOD WOULD NEVER ALLOW THIS VIOLENCE AND CURSE !
Mark 9:29 - removes requirement to fast
Matt 6:13 - removes For Thine is the Kingdom etc...
Luke 11:2 Rev 16:7 and Heb 10:34 - all remove heaven, and in Hebrews, it's in reference to the NATURE of our reward!
1 John 5:7-8 - removes the Trinity Scripture !
Luke 4:4 - this one is ironic, because we are told we live by EVERY WORD OF GOD, but NIV omits !
Rom 8:1 - removes ignoring flesh and walking in the Spirit.
Matt 18:11 - promise and purpose of Jesus - OMITTED
Mark 15:28 - removes Old Testament prophecy fulfillment in Christ
Luke 17:36 - watch this one - removes Scripture of the Rapture !
Luke 4:8 - "Get thee behind me Satan" OMITTED
1 Timothy 3:16 - wording changed, removes calling Jesus God
Col 1:14 - removes the Blood of Redemption nature of Christ
1 Peter 1:22 - removes relying on the Spirit !
Rev 21:24 - when Heaven comes to earth, those SAVED will walk by the light of Jesus - NIV removes the need to be saved !

I will put the full article on the next post, and them some other articles I have found on the subject – it makes for very interesting reading.

I also have a computer program that includes the original Hebrew and greek versions with hyperlinks that give the strongs interpretations of the characters. This helps a great deal when you want to focus in on a particular verse and can assertain the original meaning.

Basically I love the poetic language used in the KJV or NKJV, but if I am in a mood for volume reading, I will use the NIV.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaoschristian
Advanced Member
Member # 5273

I prefer the New Interpreter's Study Bible:NRSV. But I also keep the NIV, the CEV and The Message handy in order to make comparisons.

And while I like my NISB: NRSV I do not believe any one translation is the absolute best. I just generally stay within more modern translations. I avoid the KJV, the NKJV and anything that was translated and published more than 50-60 years ago.

--------------------

edenwill
Community Member
Member # 5238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edenwill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question about the likely (or not) ease of use for my purchase of a concordance today.
Today I made a shopping trip to the Christian bookstore for music and I looked for a concordance as my large print KJV has a poor one.
Of course I wanted the Strong's Concordance but the small one had such small print. So I chose one with large print that was compact.
Later, as I tore off the stickers I began to realize that I made a mistake as I had bought "Holman Pocket Bible Concordance".
Of course the book is a companion for the Holman Christian Standard Bible which is based on 'critical' texts. The KJV is based on the Textus Receptus.
Should I give this fine book away or use it to find key passages in my KJV?
I would never use the Holman for my Bible. I use the KJV, Bretton's Septuagint, and Berry's literal N.T. But I like the size and format of this Holman concordance! Would you keep it?
William Donald
Los Angeles, California Republic

--------------------
"We must choose between the Garden-City of God and the wilderness-ruins of man; between Jerusalem the Garden and Babylon the Machine." -Kevin Craig

Posts: 10 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One reason I like the KJV is because of its beautiful Tudor language perfected in the 1600s, but also there are more cross-reference works coded to the KJV which for me makes the KJV the most valuable, works like Strong's Concordance, for instance. Plus I remember the most key words from the KJV so that it is easier to find verses in online Bibles.

But I also read French and Spanish Bibles, which were created entirely independent of the English Bible, and therefore the French and Spanish Bibles at times can provide nuances that the English may not provide, or vice-versa.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godbehere
Advanced Member
Member # 4187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Godbehere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bramas,
I think it's a big issue with a lot of people and churches. I use the King James study bible for most of my reading and study. Sometimes I use the NIV, especially when studying some of the OT books, just because I don't have to spend so much time converting "old English" to "my English". I always have the KJV handy when using the NIV, though.

I find that having the study bible (I use Ryrie) clarifies things quickly and keeps me moving along without getting stuck on non-doctrinal details.

I deliberately avoid all other translations, simply because I don't know enough about them to trust them and there are so many. I did run across one, The Message I believe its called, which I think is awful.

Carl

--------------------
---------
Carl

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face:now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Posts: 50 | From: FL | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bramas
Member # 4544

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bramas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a big issue around my area, small towns, alot of churches and even more different VERSIONS of the bible are floating around, ( to many to count )

so my question to everyone is a simple one

Do you prefer a certain version, if so why ?
and are there certain versions you wont even pick up and if so why?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement