Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » IRS Crackdown on Church

Author Topic: IRS Crackdown on Church
corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for corriee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will vote for that, where do we sign up?
Posts: 53 | From: Close to the heart of Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianGrass1234
Advanced Member
Member # 5845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianGrass1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just get rid of the IRS all together. Do you want the government having influence over what is said in your church?
Posts: 203 | From: Weed, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Lou
Advanced Member
Member # 6713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honey, I would never say you were wrong. We are different people and of course we have different views. Our Pastor's wife at our last Church, taught at the Christian Church and she was able many times to pray with children who accepted Jesus as their Savior in School. I see Christian School as an arm of the Church. I do not see it as social at all, but that does not make me better then you.
I talk to parents all the time, who's kids go to public school and it is frightening what public schools are teaching children now days. I believe Churches should be taxed-exempt because they are a non profit organization. Anything Churches make go back into the Church to help provide for people and their needs.

Posts: 35 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for corriee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Christian schools are expensive,I paid for my grandchild go to one for three years. It was the best money I ever spent. I am thankful for these schools. I think it is good that churches have these social programs to help with unwed moms and babies. They are just that, social programs, not church. God Bless you (and me) I am probably wrong in my thinking. just pray for me.
In Christ

Posts: 53 | From: Close to the heart of Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Lou
Advanced Member
Member # 6713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't believe they should be taxed. I know at the Church with the upbeat program, not only did they provide free day care for unwed moms, who agree not to have an abortion, but they provided schooling for education. Many of us want our children in Christian Schools, and even with tuition, Christian schools barely break even, if at all.
betty

Posts: 35 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Hi Betty, I am fine with that. I just think that it should be taxed. It isn't and I am not active in seeing it be taxed. I have just thought about it and I decided that anything beyond the sanctuary and some Sunday School rooms are not 'church'. I understand that they can be used for God and I think that is great. But I still don't see it as a part of 'church'..it is something this church wants to do to serve God and that isn't a problem, but they should be paying taxes on it in my opinion.
Betty Lou
Advanced Member
Member # 6713

I don't see Churches that have gyms and such as doing anything wrong. I don't have a problem with Church using such things to reach the youth. I would vote against taxing any Church. I go to a Church that is quite small, less then 75 people, but I have gone to a Church for 4 years that had a gym. It was used for the glory of God. We had UpBeat Basketball and we had testimonies of many families who never had been to Church before they came to see their kids play at the Church. The Associate Pastor preached the plan of salvation in between games.
The Pastors of that Church always taught the truth of the Gospel.
If we were to open the door to tax Churches even a crack, the government would soon be telling Pastors what they can or cannot Preach.
I only stopped going to that Church because we move 2 hours away.
betty

corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but I think some of the big churches should be taxed on everything but the sanctuary and some Sunday School rooms.
Churches that have book stores, cafe's and gym's and what ever else, should pay taxes in my opinion.
I know I am old fashioned but I don't think these block big things should be tax free.
Just my 2 cents worth...I probably would not vote for taxing churches, but I still don't think it is right that they take advantage.

WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder how these hypocrites would treat Martin Luther King, Jr when he invoked Scriptures? They'd hide under a rock like the vermin they are...
Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These days, it appears there's a fine line between making a moral and a political statement.

That's what more and more pastors are finding out as IRS probes enter their churches' doors with threats of removing their tax-exempt status.

Last year, the IRS reported that 37 out of 40 churches were investigated for political activity after the 2004 election. They were issued warnings or penalized with excise taxes for violating the law, yet none lost their tax exemptions.

Read on, click here...

I sure hope the Church don't start selling out the the goverment. If they do, then you can consider them just a country club and not really devoted to serving our King Jesus Christ.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement