Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Should a Christian shelter take in someone that is drinking?

Author Topic: Should a Christian shelter take in someone that is drinking?
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it was not known that the man was on drugs untill after the toxicology report. If anything the shelter has a responsiblilty to report the man to the police if he is unruly. If not they should honor the fact that it is unsuitable climate for a person to be subjected to.
Again, you know what you are getting your self in to when you start. You don't apply for a job as a receptionist if you don't like to type. You don't run a homless shelter if you don't like people drinking. Many people are homless because of their addictions. Does that mean that they deserve to die? He died and there is no justification that can release those people from their responsibility. Agian I quote the book of matthew in my last post.
It is not a question of what WE think is appropriate. Our Lord Jesus Christ Let us know what is expected of us. And carrying his message includes those who are sick.
[Cross] 17On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." [Cross] Mark 2:17 NIV

--------------------
JAVA, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."

Posts: 147 | From: Columbia South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless you JAVA;

You and I are not in a position to crucify the shelter, as the media has attempted to do.

1) The man was not only intoxicated but there were drugs involved.

2) The shelter fulfilled their responsibility to all of those who they were able to take in by providing a safe environment.

3) The man made the choice to drink and to ingest drugs, and disqualify himself from the shelter. He suffered the consequences of his choices.

4) The shelter prevented the man from posing a threat to the others in the shelter.

5) I am not privy to city statute and policy, but if there were facilities in place to shelter the intoxicated and those under the influence of drugs, then the city and the shelters would not have to gather and seek answers of how to deal with such.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa As chilly rains sweep the state, some homeless shelters around Cedar Rapids are investigating new options to keep drunk or high homeless people dry and warm.
About 65 people attended a meeting yesterday to talk about providing a "wet shelter." That's because the city lacks any shelters that will take people who are intoxicated.

Area shelter and service providers say their effort is prompted by the death of 48-year-old Steven Howard. He was turned away from a Cedar Rapids shelter earlier this month because he'd been drinking. Authorities say Howard died of hypothermia, with alcohol and cocaine intoxication as contributing factors.

About 15 people at the meeting volunteered for a committee that will work on a long-term solution.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Breath all the fire and condemnations you want JAVA, I have dealt with the results of irresponsible alcohol and drug abuse and the destruction caused to themselves and others. I have rendered aid and gotten assistance for those who were homeless and in desperate need.

Hopefully the city of Cedar Rapids will provide solutions to get the publicly intoxicated off the streets, and into care and shelter. It is the sad reality that this happened. The shelter is not to blame for that man's choices and the consequences for his own behavior.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caretaker I am shocked at your response. For 2 1/2 years I have been on this board. You and I frequently tackled the same posts with the same opinion.
Well now..I mean your login name is caretaker yet you would justify the behavior of an entity who, being a provider of shelter on a night that the temp is well below freezing, put a man out on the streets. God forbid that your life ever falls apart and you turn to drugs and/or alcohol. Not only that but these people knew what they were getting into when they applied for 501c3 non profit status to the gonvernment to open a shelter.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."(Matthew 25:20-46 NIV)

There it is in black and white ladies and gentelman. YOU CANNOT GET AROUND IT. The people at that shelter were wrong. And it killed a man.
Does our Lord say to us that the least of these had to be lucid sober non-addicted individuals? NO
!! The "least of these" giving special inclusion to the man that was ejected and died. [mad2] [mad2] [mad2] [mad2] [mad2]

--------------------
JAVA, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."

Posts: 147 | From: Columbia South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, White Eagle. You said:

Several years ago, my friend and I were returning to my home around 10 pm and saw a body lying face down on the ground. We stopped and found a woman who was drunk. She woke up and we offered to drive her to her home. She was drunk and disorderly and out of it. We saw her safely home, ....

Eden here:

At least she had a home to go to....

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Shelter had to turn away this man who was intoxicated, they should have called the police, so that the man at least could have been picked up and taken to a place of safety.

Several years ago, my friend and I were returning to my home around 10 pm and saw a body lying face down on the ground. We stopped and found a woman who was drunk. She woke up and we offered to drive her to her home. She was drunk and disorderly and out of it. We saw her safely home, and my friend went to visit her the next few days.

She started coming to church and was born again.

Had we not stopped she could have died of exposure as it gets very cold at night here.

Her grown son also got saved. She was going through a very bad time in her life.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marcia said:

When one asked, He gave health, sight, faith and peace. His only request was that you share that experience with others

Eden here:

Jesus was God and the Son of God, born miraculously and had miraculous powers. Jesus came from above, but we are still from the first Adam.

Although we are born again, we have not yet received our glorified body.

But Jesus did send the 12 disciples and GAVE them the power to heal the sick:

Luke 9:2
And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.

Luke 10:9
And heal the sick that are therein, and say to them, The kingdom of God is come near to you.

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely you have received, freely give.

In the time of the church, however, the talents of the Holy Spirit seem to have been dealt out in varying ministries:

1 Corinthians 12:28
And God has set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

2 Corinthians 9:8
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work.

Other scriptures pertaining to this subject:

2 Corinthians 3:6
Who also has made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life.

James 2:8
If you fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, You shall love your neighbor as yourself, you do well.

TO GET BACK TO THE CHRISTIAN SHELTER QUESTION:

We have not yet received our glorified bodies, so what we can do, we can do. We are NOT like Jesus yet:

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, but it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.

Also, the Christian shelter undoubtedly has only a certain amount of money available, and only a certain amount of beds available.

Assuming that most every day more people come to the Christian shelter than there was room at the inn, the Christians (or any inn-keepers) had to make some tough choices.

And by not allowing people in who say, had been drinking or are currently drinking, for instance, that reduces the comers to the non-drinkers who may be more easy to manage, as well.

And after the Christian shelter had filled the place for the night, it was a cold night, it happened one night that one such drunkard died outside the shelter.

I see the next question I have therefore is:

Was the shelter full on the night when the drunkard died?

Let's say, for instance, that the Christian shelter/inn was JUST HALF-FULL, but that night he drunkard was excluded because that was the threshold STANDARD to enter the shelter.

The question is: Should the shelter accept drunkards when the inn is only half-full?

Here’s another key. At least the Christian inn-keepers were doing SOMETHING, and hundreds of men and women and children were warmed that night because of what the Christian shelter/inn-keepers were providing.

They may not have gotten everying right decision-wise, but at least they're out there trying to help, and that's tougher to do than Marcia CRITICIZING them for excluding one drunkards.

Which is not to say that we should not look at ourselves to see where we can improve. But it's easy to be an armchair Christians, but not so easy to run a Christian inn on skidrow.

By the way, Darwin also has his shelters and inns going, and drunkards also die outside of Darwin’s shelters and inns. There are only so many funds and beds available; unless a miracle happens that night, those figures are not going to change.

We have not yet received our glorified bodies yet, and we are still "mostly first Adamic”, eventhough the Holy Spirit now is able to counsel us, if we’re listening.

Eventhough we are bornagain first Adams we still can “only do what we can do” we still must "live out" our first Adamic life here on earth.

Short of a Jesus miracle, it is an earth reality that “I have only so much money and I have only so many beds, so who do I let in? I have to make some hard choices.”

Going back now to what Marcia said:

When one asked, He gave health, sight, faith and peace. His only request was that you share that experience with others

Eden here:

Jesus is thankful that the Christian inn-keepers are there helping, and Jesus is thankful that Christians and non-Christians have sent in donations. But Jesus also knows that we have to make these hard decisions.

Be blessed,
Eden

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HE LIVES:
I agree, and I'm not running down the shelter. I'm sure they were doing what they thought was right.

I was only giving my opinion about the question that was asked at the start of this thread.

The question was about taking a drunk guy in, and I believe that the Lord wants us to love drunk guys too.

I don't condemn the shelter, or the people that worked there, I was just saying that drunk guys need the Lord too.

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Amen, I sure agree to that.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HE LIVES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, and I'm not running down the shelter. I'm sure they were doing what they thought was right.

I was only giving my opinion about the question that was asked at the start of this thread.

The question was about taking a drunk guy in, and I believe that the Lord wants us to love drunk guys too.

I don't condemn the shelter, or the people that worked there, I was just saying that drunk guys need the Lord too.

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Posts: 182 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>> We have been talking about a shelter, and that's what shelters do, they take people in.

>> I don't have a sign in front of my house that says shelter on it,

I guess what I am getting at is if one can do a better job then this shelter is doing, then they need to put a sign in front of their house and do what they are saying this shelter should do, and then they can complain.

I understand that it would have been better if they could have taken him in, but there is more involved then just saying yes when other peoples safty is involved. So to me just because they did not take him in, does not mean they didn't want to, nor does it mean they are not Christians, but I think the shelter needs support and not condemnation.

I wish we had more shelters that will help anyone, most people only want to help themselves. I just don't like seeing people that are actually out there running a shelter being talked bad about when others are doing NOTHING, thinking it is OK to point a finger at the ones that are actually doing it.

I know you care and in a perfect world we could help everyone, but this is not a perfect world and we can only do as much as we can do. I just think we need to support those that are trying and not put them down an maybe they will find the strength to continue helping someone, one more day.

Peace.

[Smile]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HE LIVES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
caretaker,

quote:
Maybe those who are so quick to condemn this shelter would prefer to take-over responsibility to provide for the safety and well-being of those most in need?

Maybe it would be better to just forget it and close-up their doors and let "somebody else" worry about it?

Maybe those who are so quick to cast stones at the shelter would be willing to spend each night standing guard on each drunk to see that they don't bother the other residents?

I'm not running down the shelter, I was asked in this post should the man have been taken in and I said I think he should have been taken, but I'm not blaming the shelter for not taking him in, but when you open a shelter you have to expect drunks, and drug addicts to show up, so you need to plan for that when you put the sign up.

Everybody just acts shocked that a drunk man came looking for a place to stay at a shelter. Well, let me share something with you guys, it will happen again tomorrow.

Everyone has to make their own call on these types of things, and all I said is that when you don't know what to do then lean on the side of mercy.

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Posts: 182 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

quote:
Just wondering how many drunk people you have taken into your home?
We have been talking about a shelter, and that's what shelters do, they take people in.

I don't have a sign in front of my house that says shelter on it, so I don't get a lot of people coming asking to stay with me, and nobody has ever pulled up in front of my house to order a hambuger because I don't have a food sign in front of my house either.

When you open a shelter your going to have people come looking for a place to stay.

I served in an alcohol and drug recovery ministry for years and have seen many lives changed through Christ, and yes I have taken people from that ministry into my home.

Aaron,

quote:
So you admit one could do something that *looks* like Godly compassion without the consent of God if they are swayed by their "own opinions".

You don't need consent from God to love your brother/neighbor He has already commanded it.

quote:
Good. That's the point I was trying to make.
Well, I'm glad you got to make your point, but what I was saying was, when you don't know what choice to make go with mercy, like Christ did with you and I.

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless you;

In researching the story it turns out that the 48 year-old not only had alcohol but cocain in his system. He had fallen and hit his head and died of hypethermia.

The area providers are looking into the need for a "wet shelter", where those under the influence can be taken and provided for. The safety of those who work at the shelter and those who use the shelter is of the utmost importance.

http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=5843856&nav=1sW7

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa As chilly rains sweep the state, some homeless shelters around Cedar Rapids are investigating new options to keep drunk or high homeless people dry and warm.
About 65 people attended a meeting yesterday to talk about providing a "wet shelter." That's because the city lacks any shelters that will take people who are intoxicated.

Area shelter and service providers say their effort is prompted by the death of 48-year-old Steven Howard. He was turned away from a Cedar Rapids shelter earlier this month because he'd been drinking. Authorities say Howard died of hypothermia, with alcohol and cocaine intoxication as contributing factors.

About 15 people at the meeting volunteered for a committee that will work on a long-term solution.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe those who are so quick to condemn this shelter would prefer to take-over responsibility to provide for the safety and well-being of those most in need?

Maybe it would be better to just forget it and close-up their doors and let "somebody else" worry about it?

Maybe those who are so quick to cast stones at the shelter would be willing to spend each night standing guard on each drunk to see that they don't bother the other residents?

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

quote:

There's a fine line between discernment from God, and our own opinion of the situation, sometimes the two are confused.

So you admit one could do something that *looks* like Godly compassion without the consent of God if they are swayed by their "own opinions".

Good. That's the point I was trying to make.

Aaron

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
discernment is a wonderful gift, but so is mercy.

There's a fine line between discernment from God, and our own opinion of the situation, sometimes the two are confused.

Mercy will never fail, even when our own judgements do.

I'm just thankful that the Lord didn't shut the door on me when I came calling with a needle in my arm. He took the needle away and replaced it with love, mercy, and forgiveness.

The bible tells me that I'm to try to be like Him, and since He didn't shut the door in our faces, then I think the drunk at the door should be looked at the same way.

Praise be to the Lord!

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Just wondering how many drunk people you have taken into your home?

HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

discernment is a wonderful gift, but so is mercy.

Mercy will never fail, even when our own judgements do.

I'm just thankful that the Lord didn't shut the door on me when I came calling with a needle in my arm. He took the needle away and replaced it with love, mercy, and forgiveness.

The bible tells me that I'm to try to be like Him, and since He didn't shut the door in our faces, then I think the drunk at the door should be looked at the same way.

Praise be to the Lord!

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
I believe that if a man came to a shelter drunk asking for help then he should be taken in. You don't allow drinking in the shelter, but you don't turn away a cry for help. You let him know that you are there to love and help him, but that he will not be allowed to drink there, or be allowed go away from the shelter to drink and return.

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

I suppose one should also *never* oppose another who is speaking the truth of God?

quote:
16 Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. 17 This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, "These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation." 18 And this she did for many days.
But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And he came out that very hour. 19 But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace to the authorities.

The real issue at hand is discernment. Particularly the discerning of spirits. The majority in the church buildings has no use for such gifts today. Instead, they look for legal answers, preferably written, to all their "holy" questions.

Aaron

saved1948
Advanced Member
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved1948     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think if the man had been drinking and asked for help he should have been helped. Jesus would have wanted that.<><

--------------------
John 3:16+6\[/p..................For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,that whoever believed in Him should not perish but have everlasting life

Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

I believe that if a man came to a shelter drunk asking for help then he should be taken in. You don't allow drinking in the shelter, but you don't turn away a cry for help. You let him know that you are there to love and help him, but that he will not be allowed to drink there, or be allowed go away from the shelter to drink and return.

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
Could the Lord have told the shelter-worker "Do not help that man?"

I think so.

Did the Father ever tell Jesus when He was on earth "Don't touch that person."?

Probably.

It is impossible to know the answer to the question "Should a Christian shelter take in someone that is drinking?". It implies that the commands of the Lord, in every circumstance, are known to all believers.

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me..."

Aaron

Very true, good post.

[thumbsup2]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Aaron
unregistered

Could the Lord have told the shelter-worker "Do not help that man?"

I think so.

Did the Father ever tell Jesus when He was on earth "Don't touch that person."?

Probably.

It is impossible to know the answer to the question "Should a Christian shelter take in someone that is drinking?". It implies that the commands of the Lord, in every circumstance, are known to all believers.

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me..."

Aaron

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all I want to say what a wonderful blessing it would be if more people would have real love in their hearts for others at all times and would show true compassion and empathy for others at all times ~ especially for those who are less fortunate.

I'm quite familiar with homeless shelters because I worked in a homeless shelter which was operated by the Salvation Army. I also visited our other shelters. The one in which I worked was a shelter for homeless married couples with children and for homeless married couples. Within our area we have some very blessed wonderful shelters for homeless people and they are as follows: shelters for just women and women with children, there are shelters for just men, for here in our area the majority of our population have very caring loving hearts and they have a great deal of compassion, empathy, and understanding. Our shelters are new, kept up to par, they provide warm rooms with beds, meals, clothing, shoes, warm coats, personal needs, they provide church services and many many people have accepted Jesus Christ into their hearts and lives and have turned their lives around. If a person shows up who has been drinking they are taken to the detox center and when they are sober they are taken back to the shelter. Calling the police and have them put in a cell is NOT the answer! They are treated with respect, they are given job training, they are given help in obtaining work, and they become productive citizens because a whole lot of someones cared enough and had enough love in their hearts to help when they were down and out. Our area is so very blessed having such great shelters to help the homeless people who through no fault of their own became homeless due to disabilities, illnesses, loss of jobs and I know this because I've personally listened to many many of their stories! So before I sign off I want to say the following which could apply to any one to think about and that is "But for the Grace of God go I." Another saying that I wish everyone would think of and also live by it is: "Please do not judge me til you've walked miles in my shoes."

God loves all of His children and He desires that we all love one another!

God's Blessings to you all.

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Yes I understand but it seems that we are way to quick to judge the shelter and we don't know the facts.

If all the people that are cutting down christians on the forum they have would even help someone that was not drunk, it would change the world. Everyone always seems to want someone else to do it.

Lazarus was not drunk. But I would think as a shelter for the homeless, they have helped many. I know they have helped more people them most people do. I just think instead of complaining about what this shelter is doing, why don't the complainers put their money where their mouth is and do it themselves. Instead of wanting someone else to do it for them and still complain.

-

artm
Advanced Member
Member # 6243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke 16:19-21

There was a certain rich man,Which was clothed in purple and fine linen,And fared sumptuously every day.
And a certain beggar named Lazarus which was laid at his gate,Full of sores.
And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table,Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

Here is the story of a man who could have helped and made a difference in the life of another who was indeed in critical condition.

The rich man passed Lazarus daily as he lay at the gate of his palace,yet there was no compassion on the part of the rich man.

you probally know the story. Lazarus went to heaven. He must have had a relationship with the Saviour.

While the rich man went to hell.

I cannot judge this Christian center because I don't have all of the facts,But I wish they could have done something to have helped this man.

May we all have more compassion,Even when it is not convient.

God bless. Pastor Mann

Posts: 50 | From: New York | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

People are starting to post comments on this article now. You can read them at:

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2006/12/14/opinion/letters/doc458076ec8c337484786704.txt#blogcomments

I posted one but don't know if it will be approved.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

I believe it was a Christian shelter, not a rehab center.
BYHISGRACE
First Post
Member # 6253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BYHISGRACE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS ISSUE IS SO CLOSE TO MY HEART. YESTERDAY I CELEBRATED ONE YEAR OF SOBRIETY FROM ALCOHOL. PRAISE OUR LORD! THE FACT IS THAT ONE YEAR AGO YESTERDAY I CHECKED MYSELF INTO REHAB, BLOWING A .30. NOW I AM 5'3/4" AND 100LBS. I AM NOT GLORIFYING THIS IN ANYWAY. I NEEDED HELP DESPERATELY. IF THEY WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN ME IN I WOULD'VE ENDED UP DETOXING AT A HOSPITAL AND THEN, PROBABLY FEELING A WHOLE LOT BETTER, WOULD'VE TALKED MYSELF OUT OF REHAB AND TRIED AGAIN, FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME TO STOP BY MYSELF. ANY GOOD ACCREDITED SHELTER OR REHAB HAS A NO TOLERANCE POLICY. THIS MEANS THEY WILL ADMIT YOU INTOXCATED SO LONG AS YOU ARE NOT A THREAT TO YOURSELF OR OTHERS AND UPON ENTRY YOU SIGN A CONTRACT STATING THAT YOU CANNOT PHYSICALLY BRING DRUGS/ALCOHOL ONTO THE PREMISES EITHER PHYSICALLY OR IN YOUR BLOODSTREAM. NO TOLERANCE. BY THE TIME MOST OF US ADDICTS FALL TO OUR KNEES, DESPERATE FOR HELP, AND ACTUALLY WILLING TO GO GET IT, WE'RE USUALLY, AT BEST, A LITTLE MESSED UP ON SOMETHING. SO IF A CHRISTIAN SHELTER DID NOT IN-TAKE PEOPLE UNDER THE INFLUENCE, THEY WOULD BE TURNING AWAY SOME OF THE MOST NEEDY AND DEPERATE FOLKS, FOLKS THAT MAY ACTUALLY BE WILLING AND RECEPTIVE TO DOING THE WORK IT TAKES TO GET SOBER. MABEY THESE SHELTERS/FACILITIES SHOULD ANTICIPATE THIS HAPPENING SURE AS THE SUN RISES AND BE BETTER EQUIPPED TO HANDLE IT WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN. I GUARANTEE THE SUCESS RATE IN SOMEONE WHO JUST WALKS IN OFF THE STREET AND SAYS THEY NEED HELP IS GREATER THAN THOSE WHO ARE DRUG IN UNWILLING MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS. GOD BLESS THE ADDICT WHO IS STILL SUFFERS. BY HIS GRACE, ALCOHOLIC/ADDICT, 367 DAYS
Posts: 1 | From: CALIFORNIA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know from first hand that the shelters here give certain rules to live by and one of them is being publically disorderly whether if intoxicated or not will not be tolerated. Most people in the shelter are women with children. If the guy came to the shelter with unopened boose ie.. vodka, beer, wine etc.. and refused to get rid of it, then I stand by the manager of the shelter. More people are harmed by people who are mentally unstable or intoxicated on something. Since you brought up the article, how many times before has this person been at this shelter? And how many times before has this person broke the rules? Ministering to further the gospel is not a free ticket, each person whether saved or not has some personal responsiblity to the people around them. At best I would had called the police and have the man arrested and put in the cell overnight.

At the judgement seat of Christ each person of accountable age will be held responsible for their actions.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 17 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seemed to be a tough one for me. Just wondered what others think?

::::::::::::::::::

Shelter is Christian in word, but not in deed
By Marcia Wojcik Wala, Rock Island

Last week the local media reported that a homeless man had been found dead a few hundred yards from a Christian shelter in Cedar Rapids where he had attempted to spend the night. He had been turned away because he had been drinking.

The New Testament is filled with scripture that contradicts all that transpired that evening.

The message Jesus presented to the world was one of love and a profound understanding of the human condition and the importance of that concept. When one asked, He gave health, sight, faith and peace. His only request was that you share that experience with others.

The shelter was presented with an opportunity to share the generosity of the Christian message and refused. How many times had this poor man been refused before? Perhaps he was a veteran. Possibly someone’s father or husband. Certainly, a human being.

When a door is opened, it opens for those outside as well as inside.

Marcia Wojcik Wala

Rock Island

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 9 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement