Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Samaritan's Purse bans Christmas themed children's gifts

Author Topic: Samaritan's Purse bans Christmas themed children's gifts
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi wparr

I would take anything written by the Daily Mail with a HUGE pinch of salt. They are one of the most biased and reactionary papers published in the UK. A friend of a friend is a journalist there and she regularly is given a headline and told to find the story to fit.

As for the boxes, that seems to be the most sensible way to go. By banning any religious items in the box, they can ensure that the tracts given out (as you can see at the bottom of this page http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/occ/yes-nos.asp) are correct and in the language appropriate. You wouldn't want someone like A. Ben Shama (the Gnostic currently posting on this site) putting in tracts would you?

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
And "religious" nature IS Spiritual nature also - to these people they are one and the same.

Oh come on. If you are a born-again Christian you know that there is a huge differenct. Christianity is not a religion.

quote:
And the news story directly quotes people from Samaritan's Purse UK office.
Looking at the article in the Daily Mail.

But Barbara Hill, who works at the worldwide charity's UK headquarters in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, said: "Anything we find in the boxes which has a religious nature will be removed.

"If a box was opened by a Muslim child in a Muslim country they may be offended so we try to avoid religious images."

The charity has also banned war-related items such as Action Man-type figures,
as well as chocolate and cake."

I totally agree with that.

A further quote -Ideally, a child would receive a present with a Madonna and Child card, [Eek!] but if that is not possible, it is more important than the aid gets through than the Christian message."

A further quote -

"Although no Christian literature is included in the boxes, the charity does separately distribute Christmas stories from the Bible and encourages Bible study in areas where it gives toys out."

I can clearly see their point.

--------------------
The Pharisees tell us what not to do. Jesus tells us what to do.
Romans 10:15 As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Make Available" is NOT the same as giving out.

The American side puts tracks in EVERY box.

WHY the difference between the 2 areas??

And "religious" nature IS Spiritual nature also - to these people they are one and the same.

And the news story directly quotes people from Samaritan's Purse UK office.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Good NewsforAll:

Don't forget -"we make a booklet with Bible stories available to children in their own language."

The UK branch DOESN'T according to their spokes person.
This is also on the UK site.-"we make a booklet with Bible stories available to children in their own language."

I can see where they are coming from with the following statement, and I can also understand where the media, with the wrong motives, can run with it and sensationalize the meaning.

" Anything of a political, racial or religious nature " We're not talking North America here. They are not referring to relaying a spiritual message. They are talking about a political, religious and racial nature.

They have to use vigilent sensitivity, or the whole programme, along with the gift boxes, could end up in a huge bonfire. Please show me on UK's own site where this embellished accusation from the Daily News could possibly be true.

http://gifts.samaritanspurse.uk.com/Generic/AboutTheGifts.asp

http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/occ/index.asp

http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/occ/benefit_for_churches_home.asp

http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/

--------------------
Romans 10:15 As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Good NewsforAll:

Don't forget -"we make a booklet with Bible stories available to children in their own language."

The UK branch DOESN'T according to their spokes person.
Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

quote:
Do not include items from any of the following categories:
no Anything of a political, racial or religious nature

I can see if someone, has ulterior motives, they could interpret all kinds of pervasive meanings into that.

That is a very politically-based statement, which of course is a protection. People could be trying to send a anti-war propaganda, or whatever. Notice how the words 'religious nature'. The Billy Graham association consider that they have a relationship with Jesus, not calling themselves a religion.

--------------------

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

From Samaritan's Purse UK website on what to and NOT to pack: http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/occ/yes-nos.asp

quote:
Do not include items from any of the following categories:

no No chocolate due to customs regulations in some receiving countries

no Other edible items (e.g. crisps, biscuits, tinned food or cake)

no War related items (e.g. toy guns and soldiers, knives)

no Clothing (other than listed above)

no Glass containers, mirrors or fragile items

no Liquids of any type (e.g. blow bubbles, shampoos, bubble bath, toiletry sets or aerosols)

no Marbles or sharp objects

no Anything of a political, racial or religious nature

no Medicines

no Novels

Even though it is the UK office doing this pc trash, Franklin is STILL the CEO and leader, and they are STILL under his leadership and control.
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would prefer to get my information directly from the Samaritan's Purse website -

Welcome to Operation Christmas Child 2006

What is Operation Christmas Child?
Since 1990, Operation Christmas Child has brought the joy of Christmas to more than 47 million boys and girls. Last year Samaritan’s Purse in the UK sent out over 1.18 million gifts to children across Eastern Europe and Africa. This annual project enables caring individuals, families, schools, churches, businesses, and other organisations to fill ordinary shoe boxes with small toys, school supplies, sweets, and other gifts for hurting children around the world.
Operation Christmas Child sends a message of hope to children in desperate situations around the world through gift-filled shoe boxes.
The gifts are given regardless of nationality, political background or religious beliefs to children requiring nothing of them, their families or communities in return. Wherever it is culturally appropriate and in partnership with our local partners, we make a booklet with Bible stories available to children in their own language.
With the help of thousands of volunteers, Samaritan’s Purse collects and processes these gift filled shoe boxes in its warehouses across the UK . Then, working with national churches and charities, Samaritan’s Purse delivers the gifts to children in hospitals, orphanages, refugee camps, homeless shelters, and impoverished neighbourhoods.

My church collected close to 500 gift boxes for needy children in foreign countries, and not a word was said about what we shouldn't put in them.

I'm sure we would have to be warned, so that someone wouldn't have to go through 500 boxes. [cool_shades]

--------------------

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

quote:
Operation Christmas Child, run by the charity Samaritan's Purse, sends festive packages to deprived youngsters in countries ravaged by war and famine.

Donors are asked to pack shoeboxes with a cuddly toy, a toothbrush and toothpaste, soap and flannel, notepads, colouring books and crayons - but nothing to do with Christmas.

Stories from the Bible, images of Jesus and any other Christian literature are expressely forbidden - in case Muslims are offended.

-------------------------------------------------

Barbara Hill, who works at the worldwide charity's UK headquarters in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, said: "Anything we find in the boxes which has a religious nature will be removed.

-----------------------------------------------

A spokesman for Samaritan's Purse, which was introduced to Britain by evangelist Billy Graham and is run internationally by his son Franklin, said: "Christianity motivates many of our supporters to help children in need. We are a Christian charity and that's about helping people.

"But it's our policy not to put religious, political or military items in boxes which go to areas of different cultures.

"All shoeboxes are checked in the UK warehouses in case someone has ignored the instruction and put such an item into a shoebox and, if found, any such item is removed."

:cry: :cry: :cry:

full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=415551&in_page_id=1770

They are added to my list of groups NOT to give to.

Matthew 10:32-33
"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.
"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement