Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Way to Go Georgia! Georgia to Teach Bible

Author Topic: Way to Go Georgia! Georgia to Teach Bible
SrvnHim
Advanced Member
Member # 5439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SrvnHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WKUHilltopper:
At first brush, this sounds great. But I don't think it's a good idea if the "teacher" has no clue about sound doctrine.

I agree. However this shows us that the door is opening - all we need to do is get a Christian in there who knows God's Word. [Bible]

(One down, forty-nine to go!) [clap2]

Posts: 66 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first brush, this sounds great. But I don't think it's a good idea if the "teacher" has no clue about sound doctrine. I'm sure one "lecture" will be on the "contradictions in the Bible". There are none, but if you've got a person who hasn't a clue, then it would appear to be so.
Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know; I do not think that I would care to have the Bible taught in public school by a secular humanist.

This may sound good on the surface, but there are some things to consider.

Will the teacher be a believer who is able to understand the Bible? The word is foolishness to the unbeliever.

Will Christian parents further withdraw from personal responsibility to teach their children at home the oracles of God feeling that this is being done in school? Already too many parents abducated their parental responsibilities to the public schools in many areas where the subject matter is a matter that should be learned in the home.

Will teaching the ten commandments for example to children that are not Christian and live in homes that are not Christian, set up a situation where people come to believe that they can be good enough if they dont steal, kill etc???

Will it set up people for failure because without Christ the commandments cannot be kept?

The Bible has one purpose throughout and that is to reveal God the Father through the Son Jesus Christ... all the Bible testifies of Christ. This being the case, where is the Biblical example of establishing "Bible Class" to be taught by the great orators of Greece or Rome to heathen children? The Bible is a sacred book; it is not a common History Text or a Science Book to handled as such.

Jesus gave an order in which the world should be taught: And who should teach....

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,

baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:

To me this is more of man's attempt to do things man's way.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacey
Community Member
Member # 5743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this article on christanitytoday.com!

Georgia to Teach Bible
Democrats and Republicans disagreed about what to use as a textbook.

Georgia recently became the first state to call for elective public high-school courses about the Bible. The new bill, passed overwhelmingly in late March and signed by Gov. Sonny Perdue in April, allows for the state school board to develop a curriculum by February 2007.

State Sen. Doug Stoner, a Democrat, said, "Students need to know the Bible to understand Western civilization and Western literature."

Democrats had proposed using The Bible and Its Influence as the course's textbook. But Republicans—who control both houses of the Georgia legislature—required that the Bible itself be used. Local school districts, teachers, and even students will decide what version of the Bible to use as a textbook.

The Georgia tussle reflects wrestling by evangelicals nationwide over the reliability of The Bible and Its Influence. Released last September by the Bible Literacy Project, The Bible and Its Influence is designed to meet constitutional standards for public school use as an elective in high-school English or social studies programs. The National Association of Evangelicals and leaders such as Charles Colson, Joseph Stowell, and Os Guinness support the text.

The Bible and Its Influence "is not meant to be a substitute for the teachings of the church," Colson said, "but rather a means of furthering the foundational knowledge of students."

But in a letter to an Alabama legislator, whose state is considering similar proposals, John Hagee of Cornerstone Church in San Antonio said the text is a "masterful work of deception, distortion, and outright falsehoods." D. James Kennedy of Coral Ridge Ministries has also criticized the book.

When the Republican leader in Georgia's Senate prepared his party's version of the bill, which passed, he consulted with Elizabeth Ridenour, president of the National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools. Ridenour said the Bible should be used as the main textbook, so that it is taught from a position of neutrality.

Randy Brinson, head of Alabama-based Redeem the Vote, recommended The Bible and Its Influence to legislators in Alabama and Georgia. Tennessee and Missouri are also considering teaching the Bible in public schools. Brinson welcomes the new Georgia law, but laments that some are "looking for wedges in an area where common ground should be easy to find."

In 1963, the Supreme Court prohibited public-school teachers from telling students what to believe about the Bible. However, the court allowed for academic study of the Bible. The new Georgia law requires that courses be taught "in an objective and non-devotional manner with no attempt made to indoctrinate students." But the use of the Bible itself as a textbook takes the law to untested ground.

--------------------
God Bless,
Stacey Silva

WalkingTestimony.com - Great Christian apparel, shirts, hats, gifts and more! Fun, hip, and cool! Share your faith through your clothing.

Posts: 11 | From: Spring Hill TN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement