Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » WILL YOUR CHURCH BE CLOSED FOR CHRISTMAS?

Author Topic: WILL YOUR CHURCH BE CLOSED FOR CHRISTMAS?
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
WILL YOUR CHURCH BE CLOSED FOR CHRISTMAS?

NO!!!

-

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dws129
Community Member
Member # 1128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dws129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it does seem sort of ironic that a church that says Christmas is a celebration of Christ's birth would not have services on Sunday because it is Christmas. Just shows we are human too.

We actually have several Christmas services during the month. We have Christ's birthday party on the 14th. It's a small service of scripture reading, singing and gifts from the congregation are given for whatever charitable thing we have decided on, be it a monetary gift to some ministry, adopting a needy family, etc. and we have birthday cake.

We have a youth Christmas play one evening and a church cantata one Sunday.

And yes we are having Sunday School and worship service Christmas morning, but we are not having Sunday evening service. We ususally do the same on Easter; we have a sunrise service, a breakfast, regular Sunday School and worship service but no evening service.

Posts: 11 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 21 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaron your right I did not write this article but found it an interesting subject.

God bless,
David

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
Most won't see Christ on Dec 25 morn,

They'll be tooooooo busy trying to see what they got

Indeed. [Frown]

Aaron

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am blessed that my Church, Swedish Baptist, has a celeberation on Christmas morning at 7 a.m. every year, no matter what day Christmas falls on. Unfortunatly, I will not be able to attend this year, because I will be visiting my daughter in Texas for a month. We leave this Saturday. But our Baptist Church in Texas will have Church Christmas Day.
My husband makes a point of reading from the Gospels to the grandkids the story of Jesus' birth on Christmas Day.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaughterAnn
Advanced Member
Member # 2055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaughterAnn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting article. And an issue that I dont think has been addressed at my church yet.

We're a home church, very small (less than 50 on our biggest day), and many of us don't celebrate christmas. I would hope that we would still meet that Sunday morning. Whether we talk of His birth, death or our walk with Him, it would be appropriate to meet.

After all, if our purpose is to give glory to God, what better way than to spend that time in His Word?

--------------------
DaughterAnn †

"Isaiah 6:
5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

Posts: 60 | From: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you did not write this, David. So when I say "this article is a sack poop" I am not addressing you directly.

From the git-go the title of the article revealed the author's lack of Biblical understanding. "Will your church be closed for Christmas?" [Roll Eyes] "Church" is people. I could no sooner "close people" then I could "connect with a building".

We should be bothered more by our continued belief that God inhabits bricks and mortar.

Here's something to think about: Where you are, there God is. Will your family be able to receive nourishment from the fruit of the Spirit that grows in you?
Will your family see Christ in you on December 25th?

Aaron

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 20 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WILL YOUR CHURCH BE CLOSED FOR CHRISTMAS?

Christmas is going to fall on Sunday this year. That hasn't happened since 1994 and won't happen again until 2011. In years past, this might not have been much of an issue; but considering today's chummy Church of charm and chatter and the celebrated catapulting of all inconvenience, discomfort and offense from among the brethren; I would say the following question is in order:

Will your church be closed for Christmas?

The blind irony of it all is just magnificent; like the Chief Priests and Scribes not wanting to kill Jesus on the Passover. (Mark 14: 1-2)

It was brought to my attention recently by someone whose daughter was so disappointed by her church's decision to not hold worship services on Sunday, December 25th that she wrote her pastor in protest. After telling the young lady how much he loved her, this courageous Man of God actually chastised her for questioning the consensus; citing, among other things, the difficulty of rounding up day care workers on Christmas and the importance of being with family; adding pathetically that we really don't know what day Jesus was born on anyway.

I'm sure the Wise Men from the East and their enormous entourage could have come up with a lot better excuses than these for not following that Star through the night to worship the Christ Child; not to mention Noah, Abraham, Moses and David and all the logistical problems they had to endure in their worship and service to the Almighty; and the Apostles as they struggled through the remainder of their persecuted lives taking the Gospel to a strange and hostile world.

No, it seems this year many of us are going to honor that Blessed One who was born to be nailed to a Cross for our sakes and sins by taking our ease, trading our toys, watching our TVs and munching out en masse before happy nappy time.

"How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man." - Proverbs 6:9-11

Read the entire article - Click Here

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement