Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Homless become targets in Alabama..

Author Topic: Homless become targets in Alabama..
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bplonline.org/ask/comments.htm
sorry the last on wasn't working. You can click on this link to make comments.

--------------------
JAVA, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."

Posts: 147 | From: Columbia South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 18 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.bplonline.org/ask/comments.htm.
This is the Birmingham Public Library comment site. [mad2]
I have done more research as to the reasons why they do not allow clothing; 1. smuggling of dvd's out of the door between clothing supposedly will not set off the sensor. I took one dvd case and rolled it up in a SLEEPING BAG and it still set off the alarm. 2. DVD discs are kept on file behind the desk, by bringing them the case the librarian checks your card and puts the DVD in the case.
These are lies which the library justify thier discrimination by.
Please, if you find it in your heart to email these people and let them know that people in Christ are on the side of the homeless, it could provide a huge means of support. [youpi]

[dance]

--------------------
JAVA, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."

Posts: 147 | From: Columbia South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is what I've written:

"I would like to express my concern about hos the homelss will be treated. I hope its not true, but if you arrest peole for falling asleep, that is very cruel. Also, who's to say that person is homelss/ How many times have you fallen asleep somewhere too? Its bad enough a person doesn't hae shelter, but to not let them sleep.

And, to increase bus fares and not allow clotehs in backpacks is cruel too.

Please, I urge you to put yourself in their shoes and see how hard they have it. They need more love and less of this. You may see it as a good policy, but I don't. And, surely the Lord does not either. Remeber how Jesus gave the fruit to the man who needed it while speakign, when he received it

You may be homeless one day too, you never know. these policies could hurt you too. Please rethink these policies and instead help the poor and homless in your area more.

Thank you and God bless"

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 4 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MySavingGrace,
The first question that police officers ask is if the person is homless therefore preventing a situation like you posted in your last thread. I had a situation sometime ago where my identity was confused with another person and the first thing they asked was "are you homless?"
"Why yes I am" I replied "I am in a trevelling ministry". Right at that moment everything changed to "yeah right where's the dope" searching my person without consent. I mean I have a long beard and hair and look like a hippie
but....well there you have it.
The Library in Birmingham while trying to cover it with a band-aid of various PR moves knows that thier policy is directly targeting homless people, who else is giong to carry clothing around in thier bags?
Please, If any of you would like to get involved this is the place to voice concerns...http://www.bplonline.org/ask/comments.htm. Pressure from believers is like no other.
God bless you all.

[dance]

--------------------

MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If sleeping causes arrest then, say you fall asleep at the library or a bench in a park (not even being homeless0 could you thenbe arrested?

I see this arresting thing as a way to make more moeny from our tax dollars towards prisons.

how cruel and inhmane. I'd like these people who do these policies to trade places with the homeless for even a ocuple days. I mean, do they want them without sleep too?

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God Bless Sis;

Your giving is such a blessing to those who will receive, and I know it is a blessing for you.

God bless you Brother JAVA;

Your thread is so beneficial to remind us of our Lord's admonition that as we do unto the least of these we do unto Him.

I have sent donations in the past to the Christian Appalacian Project:

http://www.christianity.com/cap

The old adage goes something like,"Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day, teach him to fish and you feed him for life".

Our ministries should bring the Gospel, food, clothing, shelter, to the table, but also assistence in the developement of life skills, education, etc. which can help folks get a leg-up on life. There is nothing like getting together and insulating/re-roofing/repasiring an elderly folks home to bless the hearts of all.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 10 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree betty I am not torching you. If you feel you are doing what you can that is all that matters.

[dance]

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand what you are saying about scams that people will be punished by God. But, my husband and I are on a fixed income. We have to be careful stewards of our money. By giving someone a hot meal, I feel that it is a good way of insuring that I am using my money wisely.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 15 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are alot of homless here in bama also. I said it before that it is not for us decide wether we are being scammed of not. They will know who you are by your fruit and God will punish those who are lying. The book of Acts tells us this.
Let us not forget:

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Thank you all for your posts [hug]

[dance]

--------------------

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
JAVA
In Houston, we had so many people who were begging for money who were not really homeless but scam artist. When you offer food and they accept you know they need food, but when they say no thank you, then you know the truth is they are not hungry.

We have the same going on here; probably in most big cities. I can even tell you where they'll be standing - which exits. It is sad, because those who are scamming ruin it for those who are really in need. I never see anyone giving to those who stand by the road with signs.
Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an old adage which goes something,"There but for the grace of God go I".

Providing a meal is a marvelous blessing Sis, and what an excellent barometer.

For me this type of ministry is sure a way to go.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JAVA

Although, I have been blessed, never to be homeless, I have worked with homeless at the ministry we volunteered with for 5 years. I felt compassion and love for them. My husband often took homeless to their place (in the woods, behind stores, etc) so he could carry bags of food for them in our car.
We are on a fixed income and I have problems giving money to people begging on the street, but we have many times bought hot food for someone who was homeless and handed to them. In Houston, we had so many people who were begging for money who were not really homeless but scam artist. When you offer food and they accept you know they need food, but when they say no thank you, then you know the truth is they are not hungry.
Anyway, I wanted you to know that I care about those who are homeless.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homless are being targeted in Alabama by the local and state govs. by;
1. Instituting a 25 cent fare on the normally free downtown datr shuttle that many homless use to get from shelter to work or to meal servers.
2. Not allowing clothing in backpacks in the PULBLIC LIBRARY!!!
3. Sleeping in public areas at any time will cause immediate arrest. Not enough beds in shelters.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 10 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement