Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » MinistryWatch.com Issues Donor Alert for Benny Hinn

Author Topic: MinistryWatch.com Issues Donor Alert for Benny Hinn
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andyman:
Televangelists can be extremely obnoxious begging for money ...

No kidding! Anyone that's ever watched one of TBN's "money-a-thons" will back you up on that one. Talk about embarrassing.
Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andyman
Advanced Member
Member # 4781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm....i subscribe to hinns email. do i support his ministry- nope. And most of you know that im against WOF but i get a little letter here and there just because i think its interesting.

Its ironic because i got a new one from him recently. Yes it was talking about giving more money - except that he was stating that he may have to cancel future crusades if he doesnt get more money now.... It sounded genuine but i dont know if his motives although. Besides, hes such a close relative to TBN that if there was a real threat to canceling a few of his future crusades TBN may step in and pay the bill.

I just think its truely a sad commentary how much our Christian leaders have messed up, but that our bretheren can also be complete jerks to them. Sometimes its understandable with others and with Hinn i must draw the red flag. Humiliating and sad, I dont want to be in this type of position but it has to be done.

Just remember - typically and statistically, ministries are actually pretty poor. Just a few times here and there will you meet a pastor or ministry that is really over-abundant financially. Televangelists can be extremely obnoxious begging for money when they are getting bills paid... Just remember that its Biblical to tithe and make discernment of who to give your money to.

Theres the Tiltons and then Feed the Children. You choose.

--------------------
IN 2000, WE AMERICANS spent 94 Billion Dollars lavishly on our home churches. However, the average North American Christian gives only 50 CENTS a week to global missions.

Gospel for Asia - Fire on the Altar

Posts: 60 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Mohawk!!!!!!

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 18 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mohawk:
May Hinn find the true path to Jesus.

Amen [Prayer]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving him vulnerable to these exposing investigations is the Lord's way of knocking on the door of Hinn's soul, in the only way that his clouded soul and mind will understand. Benny Hinn needs to stop claiming God's will as his own, and get down on his knees to ask Christ legitimately into his heart. Even if it is eventually from a jail cell.

Hinn is not an evangelist, but a mass hypnotist, with those "millions led to Christ" at risk. Sorry--it's harsh, but just my opinion. May Hinn find the true path to Jesus.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice post David, you are absolutely right!

Benny Hinn = false prophet, all profit.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
Of the three I have more faith in Rev. Hagee.
betty

I like to listen to Hagee sometimes, but I haven't heard enough on a regular basis to make a good discernment call either way. I don't mind the hellfire and brimstone sometimes. Quite frankly, there probably isn't enough of it these days!

I heard somewhere (maybe here?) that he doesn't believe in preaching to the Jews and that they are already going to heaven. Have you heard anything like that?

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the three I have more faith in Rev. Hagee.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Drew, He's the very one. And still, after being exposed, people still flock to him. AMAAZZING.

I remember when i went to our little A/G church. A friend of mine was asked to be the assistant Pastor. He was told that he needed to "dress" the part and wear better clothes and such. His wife and him borrowed, no joke, $5,000.00 to buy new wardrobes. The pastor said that the people will not listen to you unless you look the part. Like having the best to let them know that God was truly blessing you. You gotta have the Rolex, the yahct, the jets, the motor homes, the 5 million dollar homes and the armani suits cause that draws people into believing man I want what you got. No joke, our pastor firmly believes this way.

The pastor got everyone so caught up in "Name it and Claim it" and have it now mentality that now, more than 4 of that congregation have lost their homes to forclosure, 3 have filed bankruptsy, and so on simply because it was preached to them that God would take care of all their needs and just to live by faith and speak things out that are not as if they were and man all I can say is what a mess. Now I love this pastor dearly, but his favorite preacher is Benny Hinn and he too likes Joel Olsteen. I told him once how I liked to listen to John Hagee, and he said "I dont because he preaches AT you not To you". Im still trying to figure that one out.

This reminds me of that song from Fiddler on the Roof, its called "If I were a rich Man"

Theres a part in the song that says If he was a rabbi in the town, people would question him on certain things and the song says

"And it wont matter if I answer right or wrong, cause when you're rich they think you really Know" Ain't that the truth. Shalom

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GJ:
Each person has a right to their own view point and also has a right to post their view without someone taking them to task for doing so.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And each person has a right to defend their viewpoint when someone is posting taking them to task for it, especially when that viewpoint is substantiated with hard evidence and Biblical truth.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each person has a right to their own view point and also has a right to post their view without someone taking them to task for doing so.

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carmela

Exposing the truth is not running down anyone. I resent you saying so. Just as I would post to protect someone from a bad product on the market, we should also expose those who preach lies and half-truths to the innocents.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Popoff the one with the ear-phone, with his wife reading him the information off the cards and directing him to their seats?

Oh but these are men of God and bring millions and millions to Christ and ONLY preach the Gospel, and it is so wrong to speak out against those who are doing so much for the Lord, and wrong to speak out against their mansions, their yachts, their private jets, their fleet of luxury cars, their diamonds, their armani suits, their luxury suites, because they are ONLY doing the Lord's work, and bringing milions and millions to Christ, and judge not His annointed, or something like that but they do not have us searching the scriptures so I just listen to my televangelist for he ONLY preaches God's truth, for he must be praching God's truth for he brings millions and millions to Christ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey hardcore, don't know about heresy hunters in the scriptures but it does speak of wolves in sheeps clothing, you know, fleecing the flock.

Hardcore, remember Peter Popoff? The man was caught dead to rights and people are still following him and he still has a late night tv show asking for money. So Sad

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by SoftTouch:
I would also add that the people who work in that Ministry that Exposed what Hinn is doing, are the Lords Servants just like we are. They are fellow Born Again Believers... They initially report on what they uncover and other Believers who read their findings share it so that more can know the truth and not be decieved.

"Heresy Hunters" are the Lord's Servants? Surely you jest! Can't be true. The bible doesn't speak of such things, does it?

*tongue planted firmly in cheek* [Wink]

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also add that the people who work in that Ministry that Exposed what Hinn is doing, are the Lords Servants just like we are. They are fellow Born Again Believers... They initially report on what they uncover and other Believers who read their findings share it so that more can know the truth and not be decieved.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by Carmela:
If all of this ends up being proven, it just shows that God does expose the fraud of those that are using His name for their own glory. God doesn't need our help to run people down, He will expose the truth Himself. After all, the light always exposes the darkness.

You're right. God doesn't need our help, but He does use us to accomplish His will.

The light does indeed always expose darkness. Unfortunately, there are many who are quite comfortable in the dark and wish to remain there.

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all of this ends up being proven, it just shows that God does expose the fraud of those that are using His name for their own glory. God doesn't need our help to run people down, He will expose the truth Himself. After all, the light always exposes the darkness.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

I wonder if Benny is going looking once again for a "Holy Ghost" machine gun, as he once desired to do for those who were speaking-out.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IRS Investigates Benny Hinn
Today the Dallas Morning News reports that the IRS is reviewing Benny Hinn's tax exempt status. If Benny Hinn's tax exempt status is revoked, Benny Hinn Ministries could be required to pay significant back-taxes and penalties.

The article provides an overview of why Benny Hinn is being investigated and relies on information provided by the Trinity Foundation. Earlier this year the Trinity Foundation, a Christian ministry in Dallas, challenged Benny Hinn Ministries' tax exempt status by submitting a brief to the IRS. The brief is a comprehensive 22-point response to an IRS query letter that investigators found in the trash outside one of Benny Hinn Ministries offices.

I suspect the Dallas Morning News will be publishing more articles about Benny Hinn Ministries soon because one of the biggest accusations against Benny Hinn Ministries is not covered in this article. The Trinity Foundation brief reports that Benny Hinn Ministries former CFO Gene Polino is accused of taking $27 million in kickbacks.

Update: The Associated Press now has an article about the investigation.

http://www.christianheadlines.com/

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting this David. It's important for folks to be warned.

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Excellent post David. I am reminded of Robert Tilton, whose donors envelopes were sent directly to the bank, and the envelopes with the prayer requests were placed in the trash.

Folks need to turn to the Word and their local pastors who are accountable to a board of Deacons, and perhaps a council of Elders, rather than these celebrity snake-oil salesmen in the house of the Lord.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 14 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Good David!

I never watched his show because, he made me nervous. I could not put a finger on why, until I watched the dateline show about him.
I prefer to pay my tithes at the local Church. This is where I get fed, at my local Church.
Betty

--------------------

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ministry "watchdog," Wall Watchers, has issued a Donor Alert for Benny Hinn Ministries after NBC informed the public of the ministry's use of donor funds for extravagant personal gains.

Ministry "watchdog," Wall Watchers, has issued a Donor Alert for Benny Hinn Ministries/World Outreach Church (BHM), after the national television program, NBC Dateline, informed the public that the ministry's use of donor funds included extravagant personal gains and other reasons.

Wall Watchers’ CEO Rusty Leonard explained that Dateline's report of facts and allegations coupled with previous concerns about Benny Hinn's "self-taught" and "self-serving" Prosperity Theology, which promotes a feel good philosophy – has caused Wall Watchers to recommend that donors redirect gifts to a "biblically-based" ministry.

On Sunday night, March 6, 2005, Dateline NBC, which covers investigative reports and personal stories, devoted one hour to a documentary on the millions sent to Benny Hinn Ministries.

The program revealed that besides Hinn's salary being upwards of one million each year, Hinn also owns a $10 million dollar mansion, a private jet with $1.5 million in maintenance costs each year, and two Mercedes valued at $80,000 each. Layovers between Crusades at locations such as Hawaii and Milan cost from $900 to almost $3,000 for one night. Receipts showed that Hinn received $25,000 in petty cash for a Crusade that was 30 minutes from his home.

According to the statement released by Wall Watchers, "BHM has far more money than it needs to carry out its ministry."

In addition, Hinn manipulates people by promising healing to those with chronic illnesses and claiming that donations are "seeds" that will bear monetary riches at a later time.

"There was never one record that would suit the criteria for documented miracle healing," former Hinn employee, Nathan Daniel told Dateline.

After the NBC investigative report, the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability issued a statement on its website informing the several thousands of visitors wanting to learn more about financial transparency, that Benny Hinn Ministries is not amongst the 1,150 accredited organizations that meet its criteria for membership.

According to Wall Watcher's Leonard, critics oppose the fact that “Hinn and his family enjoy a lavish lifestyle with funds intended for charitable purposes, preaches a fraudulent, self-serving version of the Bible, manipulates individuals at 'healing crusades' for personal gain, and the ministry is nontransparent and lacks independent board oversight."

MinistryWatch.com recommends that donors "prayerfully consider withholding contributions to Benny Hinn" and invites all Christians to join in praying for Benny Hinn and his family to "humbly submit themselves to a process of personal repentance and restoration.”

http://www.christianpost.com/article/ministries/1252/section/ministrywatchcom.issues.donor.alert.for.benny.hinn/1.htm

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement