Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Osteen interview with Larry King (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Osteen interview with Larry King
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bygrace:
Hisgrace,
You are the very one who is sensitive, yet you find it ok to be flippent.

Sensitive? - Yes, sensitive to the grieving of the Holy Spirit. I don't think God is too pleased with the constant barage of caustic remarks ripping apart his anointed ones.

Once again, I must leave the Board for awhile to cool off my heals.

I'll just leave you with this scripture regarding the killing of God's anointed one Saul, even though Saul was far from being perfect-

2 Samuel 1:14-16 "Were you not afraid to kill the LORD's anointed one?" David asked. Then David said to one of his men, "Kill him!" So the man thrust his sword into the Amalekite and killed him. "You die self-condemned," David said, "for you yourself confessed that you killed the LORD's anointed one."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
quote:
You are supposed to be wallowing in a pit of despair and unhappiness.
HisGrace: Is this what teaching repentance amounts to to you? The promtion of a life in the pit of despair and unhappiness?
I wasn't referring to repentance with that remark HFHS. I was bantering with my good friend Gramajo, because we agree on many spiritual matters. Yes, my remark was brought on partly because of the following -
"Gramajo,Jesus preached repentance! Not just "feel Good"."
I was jokingly telling GJ that, according to remarks like that, she is supposed to feel guilty about being a happy and fulfilled Christian.

I also did it because I am becoming increasingly frustrated when many posters fail to see that many of these evangelists show a very deep love and compassion for their viewers and they each have their own unique anointing as to how they present the gospel. Joel Osteen is quite young and he has a new and fresh approach to the gospel.

Because he is showing a more sensitive side to the gospel, he is accused of being wishy-washy. He has been admonished for making such remarks as "But I don't have it in my heart to condemn people. I'm there to encourage them. I see myself more as a coach, as a motivator to help them experience the life God has for us."

What is this need to say that preachers should constantly bop people over the head with judgment and condemnation? Condemnation is of the devil. We should love and guide people with a tenderness and leave conviction up to the Holy Spirit.
When we plant seed, all is necceary to water that seed is a gentle rain - not a mighty hurricane

JO is accused of not preaching repentance in his sermons. I have watched him and there is an undertone of leading people to Christ. At the end of every sermon he gives an invitation for people to be forgiven of their sins and come to Christ.

bygrace
unregistered

The book of Romans must be missing from his bible.

I agree. I do not understand why when presented with the interview evidence...there is no response to the specifics. I do not think that those who agree with the teachings of Osteen have even read the interview.
If they had...and still agree...I question their doctrinal views.

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well ...

Sadly, those that have shown themselves to be deceived in the past, continue to do so.

We will not be given a solid defense by anyone for Osteen's teaching because there is none; from a solid scriptural stance that is.

I too have seen him many times and have never heard a solid presentation of the gospel. I have heard him say things like "ask Jesus into your heart" and that's it. While there is some truth in that statement, it is not the whole truth. Without repentance and forgiveness of sin there is no real salvation. Osteen does not use the word sin. He said it himself (see below). How do you preach salvation without talking about sin?

quote:
KING: How about issues that the church has feelings about? Abortion? Same-sex marriages?

OSTEEN: Yeah. You know what, Larry? I don't go there. I just ...

KING: You have thoughts, though.

OSTEEN: I have thoughts. I just, you know, I don't think that a same-sex marriage is the way God intended it to be. I don't think abortion is the best. I think there are other, you know, a better way to live your life. But I'm not going to condemn those people. I tell them all the time our church is open for everybody.

KING: You don't call them sinners?

OSTEEN: I don't.

KING: Is that a word you don't use?

OSTEEN: I don't use it. I never thought about it. But I probably don't. But most people already know what they're doing wrong. When I get them to church I want to tell them that you can change. There can be a difference in your life. So I don't go down the road of condemning.

Abortion and same-sex marriage - He doesn't "go there"? "I don't think abortion is the best"?

Sinner - He doesn't use that word? He doesn't want to condemn?

The book of Romans must be missing from his bible.

quote:
Dr. Ergun Caner at the Southern Baptist Convention during his message telling them to stick to God's Word in defending their faith and not go the way of other denominations in compromising. "And I will tell you one more thing: it's a fun ride---because I'm going to beg you; quit whining, quit complaining, quit running; take a stand, take the hit, take the heat; stand up--He died for you."
Can you not see the difference between the two men and their messages? Which do you think Jesus is in agreement with?

Come on folks. Seriously. Wake. Up.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bygrace
unregistered

Hisgrace,

As you stated in another post...this is starting to get personal.
You are the very one who is sensitive, yet you find it ok to be flippent.
I am tired of the attacks on softouch as well. If you don't get into the "end times' there is nothing wrong with that. Just please stop condeming others for being the trumpet about certain issues.
And about the "feel good" comment...I did in no way say that Jesus said to be in the pit of dispair. You have missed my point at your failed attempt at humor.
Humor at someone else's expense is not humor.
I do appreciate your posts, and the kindness you have shown to many others. I do however sense very strongly an argumentitive spirit when it comes to softtouch's posts that is not present in your other posts.

bygrace

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeschoolers,

You have a computer and you can get a link to listen to Joel Osteen on the internet. One needs to listen to his true gospel messages more than just once or twice before making any decisions as to whether they like him for what he preaches or if they dislike him. Again it is best for you to listen to him yourself.

As far as His Grace's posting to me she was only joking and I knew that. She didn't mean for it to be taken seriously and I certainly didn't take it seriously. His Grace has an excellent sense of humor which is a very good thing to have and fortunately I've been blessed with a great sense of humor also.

Now this is all I'm going to post in this particular thread.

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GrandmaJo: thank you for the advice. I do not listen much to Tv preachers for one, we do not have TV where I live and 2, I prefer reading the Bible. I was curious about your thoughts on this interview your having heard him, this is why I asked. I could watch him 5k times and not know your thoughts on this interview having heard hin. I am sorry that you did not feel inclined to share them. But that is ok. I appreciate your response.

I am not sure the purpose of your comment about HisGrace, I certainly do not recall anyone questioning her faith or salvation or sweetness. I certainly agree with you that Hisgrace often displays a very compassionate warm compassionate empathetic heart for some others.

I would like to know if this is how she views the teachers of repentance however and I do hope she will answer.

I am glad you found that comment humorous. Laughter does good like a medicine and is a good thing.

I wonder if bygrace found it equally humorous, or if you had been the one who used "feel Good" in your post, I wonder if then you would have found it humorous.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hardcore

That is the book. My sister said it was great and insisted that I read it.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
90 % of the life a child of God will be under testing by God Himself to purify the mind and the sinful body! When we read Rev 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. Here we can see that John tells us (companion in tribulation) not peace and joy but companion in tribulation.

2Ti 3:11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.

1Pe 5:9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

1Th 3:3 so that no one should be drawn aside by these afflictions. For you yourselves know that we are appointed to them.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeschoolers,

Since you say that you've never heard of Joel Osteen and you've never heard him preach the true gospel of Jesus Christ my best suggestion to you is to please listen to him yourself, not just once or twice but many times, and then you can judge for yourself. Joel Osteen is on TBN at least three or four times a week.

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

His Grace was only joking and it wasn't meant for anyone at all to take it seriously whatsoever. I certainly didn't take it seriously.

His Grace is a very devout born again believer in Jesus Christ and absolutely follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Anyone who has ever read the postings of His Grace knows that. Also His Grace has a very warm compassionate empathetic heart for others.

--------------------
Gramajo320

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GrandmaJo: I am curious, I have never heard this man preach, I have never heard of this man, but you say that you have heard him preach the true Gospel. What do you think about his comments in this interview? Do you see them as consistent with the word of God?

Do you see that this is a perfectly acceptable attitude for a preacher of the Gospel....like for example the comment on the people of India who are largely 80% Hindu?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

quote:
You are supposed to be wallowing in a pit of despair and unhappiness.
HisGrace: Is this what teaching repentance amounts to to you? The promtion of a life in the pit of despair and unhappiness?
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

His Grace,

I love your sense of humor! I really do enjoy listening to Joel Osteen and he most assuredly is very much a born again believer in Jesus Christ and that is what I've heard him preach many times over - the true gospel of Jesus Christ. For that matter so does Billy Graham.

God bless you!

--------------------
Gramajo320

HisGrace
unregistered

Shame on you Gramajo for thinking that you are supposed to 'feel good' . You are supposed to be wallowing in a pit of despair and unhappiness. Isn't that what the Bible teaches??  -
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

I've heard Joel Osteen preach the true gospel of Jesus Christ many times.

--------------------
Gramajo320

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bygrace:
Gramajo,
He would NOT condone these teachings!
Jesus preached repentance! Not just "feel Good".

AMEN bygrace!!!

He would not condone this teaching in any way shape or form. It completely contradicts His Word.

I think Jesus would say:

Thank you for being obedient.

Thank you for being Berean.

Thank you for standing for Truth.

Thank you for warning others.

Thank you for loving Me and My Word more than men.

Thank you for not being concerned about what others will say.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
I am reading a book by Joel Osteen that my sister asked me to read. One thing that has me confused, is he discusses that if we want something we should picture it in our mind and God will give it to us. Is this in line with the Bible? Believe me, I would love to picture a farm in the country being mine. But, I wonder if that is what the Bible says we should do. He says his wife did that and they got the big house she wanted. I am open to other's opoinions on this.
betty

Hi Texas Grandma,

You are right to be concerned and obviously your discernment radar is still working!

My mom (not a believer) gave me his latest book, "Your Best Life Now - 7 Steps to Living At Your Full Potential". Is that the one you have? I think I remember the story about his wife and the house.

I knew it would be problematic because I've seen enough of him on tv to know what he teaches, or doesn't teach as the case may be.

It is truly heartbreaking to think of how many people follow this man blindly and have no idea what the scriptures really say. He says they have 30,000 in their church every weekend.

30,000 !!!!

30,000 people who will not learn about sin, repentance or anything else that doesn't "feel" good.

30,000 people who won't hear a solid scriptural sermon on salvation.

And yet professing believers will still defend him. Go figure.

bygrace
unregistered

Gramajo,
He would NOT condone these teachings!
Jesus preached repentance! Not just "feel Good".

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

First Billy Graham and now Joel Osteen. WWJD or say right now.

--------------------
Gramajo320

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.lakewood.cc/site/PageServer

Joel Osteen's dad started LakeWood Church. We visited there a couple of time, but hubby said the Church was too big for him.

My sister thinks his books are great. But, I had my doubts and I am glad to see that I am not alone on this. I don't see anything wrong with telling God our desires but visualizing them in our head to see the results, sounds New Age to me.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

TexasGrandma: Creative visualization does work, but it not Biblical, it is occult-ish people have been practicing creative visualization and mind mapping for centuries, but today we see this being preached in Christian cirlces and you cand find this in books on Christian bookshelves and it is part of the apostasy!!!

I am not telling you it does not work; it does work, but so do a lot of other things having to do with majick and the occult. Divination is much related to creative visualization and the Bible is clear against that. No where in the Bible does it tell us that vizualization is the way to ask God for anything.

Think about this: why did God scatter the people at Bable?

6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

The mind of man is a powerful thing, but it is not God's desire that we operate with the mind of man, but with the mind of Christ.

This is why we are told not to be conformed to the world, but transformed that we may prove (demonstrate) the PERFECT will of God.

This is gonna sound really Southern Baptist... but BURN THE BOOK!!!!

Learn not the ways of the heathen. If I could show you some of the books that I have owned that taught creative visualization you would run the other way. I burned the books!

Instead, pray that God would bring to you exactly the place that he wants you to be and that he let you accept nothing less. Then when that place comes no matter how different or like your vision, you can rest in faith knowing that there is no better place for you to be no matter what comes.

Who is this olsteen charachter anyway? This interview is disgusting.

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Retribution

Hell is a place of divine retribution, not a place of rehabilitation. When God chastises a Christian, He does it for the Christian’s sanctification (moral improvement) and benefit (Heb. 11:6-7). But punishment in hell is pure retribution against breakers of God’s law. Christians are “in Christ” and adopted into God’s own family (Gal. 4:5, Eph. 1:5). The retribution that the Christian deserves for his sins was placed upon Jesus Christ on the cross (cf. Rom. 5:8-10). Jesus Christ received the full penalty, retribution and wrath against sin in His own body for those who believe in Him. Christians stay out of hell and go to heaven solely because of what Jesus Christ has done for them. “A man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.... Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us” (Gal. 2:16, 3:13). If you do not believe in Jesus Christ, then the cup of God’s wrath is poured out on you eternally in hell, rather than upon Jesus Christ on the cross.

If you die without believing in Christ, then your fate will be eternally sealed, because belief in Christ and the gospel must occur on earth before you die (Lk. 16:19-31; Jude 7, 13; 2 Pet. 2:4, 9). When you die apart from Christ, your guilt remains forever. “Suffering that is penal can never come to an end, because guilt is the reason for its infliction, and guilt once incurred never ceases to be. The lapse of time does not convert guilt into innocence.... The reason for retribution today is a reason forever.... But when, as the Supreme Judge, He [Jesus Christ] punishes rebellious and guilty subjects of His government, He causes an endless suffering. In this case, ‘their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched’ (Mk. 9:48).... Damnation means absolute and everlasting damnation. All suffering in the next life, therefore, of which the sufficient and justifying reason is guilt, must continue as long as the reason continues; and the reason is everlasting. It if be righteous today, in God’s retributive justice, to smite the transgressor because he violated the law yesterday, it is righteous to do the same thing tomorrow, and the next day, and so on ad infinitum; because the state of the case ad infinitum remains unaltered. The guilt incurred yesterday is a standing and endless fact. What, therefore guilt legitimatizes this instant, it legitimatizes every instant, and forever.”

William G. T. Shedd, The Doctrine of Endless Punishment (New York, 1885)

--------------------

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I give to him is that the man can speak very good in front of the croud of hundreds! he sure
does have a sweet talk!

The massage should be sweet but bitter in our stomach! Why! because it bring outs the sin in us that there is a God and a real hell!

--------------------

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how many of these $$$$$ he got by that inter-view! Wow the gospel with no hell but feel good and be all the flesh you can be!

--------------------

bygrace
unregistered

Texas,
That is the very type of thinking that I started to see with his messages.
We need more discernment, not more feel-good, evrything's cool...propaganda.
Repentance should be preached...Everyone wants to be coddled, I should know, I was one!
You know, Jesus was direct...He preached repentance. (not just Love)! I think the movement of talk only about the "love" of God is going to result in more people in Hell.
I read one commentary, that urged the pastors to not use the word "sinner" anymore!

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I am reading a book by Joel Osteen that my sister asked me to read. One thing that has me confused, is he discusses that if we want something we should picture it in our mind and God will give it to us. Is this in line with the Bible? Believe me, I would love to picture a farm in the country being mine. But, I wonder if that is what the Bible says we should do. He says his wife did that and they got the big house she wanted. I am open to other's opoinions on this.
betty

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

Osteen now?? I give up  -
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hardcore, I watched that interview. Made me sick. Compromise, Compromise, Compromise. Be sure not to offend anyone with the Truth of the Gospel and that Jesus is the only way to heaven and eternal life with Him and that there is a hell and many people will be going there.

Wishy, Washy, Spineless Preachers who only want to preach what the people want to hear. You know, the old addage of Your okay, I'm okay and everyone in the world is okay! Balonga!

Joel Olsteen could reach MANY people with the gospel and yet he refuses to preach it like the word says. And why I wonder. So people will love him? So he wont offend anyone? So the money will keep rolling in? Who knows. Could be any or all those reasons.I think his only motto is "Find the Champion in You". Just some more of that New Age retorict.

Let me tell you something, just because someone "Believes" in God doesnt make them born-again. The Jews are proof of that. One must believe and accept Jesus as He is the only Truth. Joel Olsteen wont tell you that, by his own admission he wont tell you that. He'll tell you thats what he believes, but he wont tell you that YOU MUST believe it too or your headed for an eternal hell. That is what Joel wont tell you.

He preaches a watered down gospel at best. Mixes it with a little psyco-babble and wall lah, He is a preacher of the truth! Yea right!

But in Joels defense, He does stand in good company for there are many preachers doing the same thing. His father was one who preached it like it should be preached. What happened to Joel I wonder? Its another sign of the times I would guess. Shalom

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Even Preachers want to ride the fence these days.
[crying]

--------------------

bygrace
unregistered

Thanks for posting this Hardcore...I at one time did listen to this preacher.
He has more of a "motivational" type message rather than the "repentance" message.
I am sure that this is ok for an established christian, but not so much for the unsaved.
bygrace

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0506/20/lkl.01.html

Here are some excerpts from Joel Osteen's interview with Larry King which aired on June 20, 2005:

quote:
KING: There's a lot of books about improving yourself.

OSTEEN: Yeah. I don't know. I think coming from the Christian base, and I think the fact that I don't know, it's a book of encouragement and inspiration. And to me it seems like there's so much pulling us down in our society today. There's so much negative. Most of my book is about how you can live a good life today in spite of all that. So I think that had a big part of it.

KING: But it doesn't quote a lot of biblical passages until the back of the book, right?

OSTEEN: It doesn't do a whole lot of it. My message, I wanted to reach the mainstream. We've reached the church audience. So I just try to, what I do is just try to teach practical principles. I may not bring the scripture in until the end of my sermon and i might feel bad about that. Here's the thought. I talked yesterday about living to give. That's what a life should be about. I brought in at the end about some of the scriptures that talk about that. But same principal in the book.

Shouldn't his message to the mainstream be a clear presentation of the gospel, complete with scripture not relegated to the back of the book?

quote:
KING: Because we've had ministers on who said, your record don't count. You either believe in Christ or you don't. If you believe in Christ, you are, you are going to heaven. And if you don't no matter what you've done in your life, you ain't.

OSTEEN: Yeah, I don't know. There's probably a balance between. I believe you have to know Christ. But I think that if you know Christ, if you're a believer in God, you're going to have some good works. I think it's a cop-out to say I'm a Christian but I don't ever do anything ...

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

Do I even need to comment on this ridiculous wishy washiness?

Here's some more:

quote:
KING: How about issues that the church has feelings about? Abortion? Same-sex marriages?

OSTEEN: Yeah. You know what, Larry? I don't go there. I just ...

KING: You have thoughts, though.

OSTEEN: I have thoughts. I just, you know, I don't think that a same-sex marriage is the way God intended it to be. I don't think abortion is the best. I think there are other, you know, a better way to live your life. But I'm not going to condemn those people. I tell them all the time our church is open for everybody.

KING: You don't call them sinners?

OSTEEN: I don't.

KING: Is that a word you don't use?

OSTEEN: I don't use it. I never thought about it. But I probably don't. But most people already know what they're doing wrong. When I get them to church I want to tell them that you can change. There can be a difference in your life. So I don't go down the road of condemning.

And still more:

quote:
CALLER: Hello, Larry. You're the best, and thank you, Joe -- Joel -- for your positive messages and your book. I'm wondering, though, why you side-stepped Larry's earlier question about how we get to heaven? The bible clearly tells us that Jesus is the way, the truth and the light and the only way to the father is through him. That's not really a message of condemnation but of truth.

OSTEEN: Yes, I would agree with her. I believe that...

KING: So then a Jew is not going to heaven?

OSTEEN: No. Here's my thing, Larry, is I can't judge somebody's heart. You know? Only god can look at somebody's heart, and so -- I don't know. To me, it's not my business to say, you know, this one is or this one isn't. I just say, here's what the bible teaches and I'm going to put my faith in Christ. And I just I think it's wrong when you go around saying, you're saying you're not going, you're not going, you're not going, because it's not exactly my way. I'm just...

KING: But you believe your way.

OSTEEN: I believe my way. I believe my way with all my heart.

KING: But for someone who doesn't share it is wrong, isn't he?

OSTEEN: Well, yes. Well, I don't know if I look at it like that. I would present my way, but I'm just going to let god be the judge of that. I don't know. I don't know.

KING: So you make no judgment on anyone?

OSTEEN: No. But I...

KING: What about atheists?

OSTEEN: You know what, I'm going to let someone -- I'm going to let god be the judge of who goes to heaven and hell. I just -- again, I present the truth, and I say it every week. You know, I believe it's a relationship with Jesus. But you know what? I'm not going to go around telling everybody else if they don't want to believe that that's going to be their choice. God's got to look at your own heart. God's got to look at your heart, and only god knows that.

Hmmm. Isn't it incredibly interesting to see the contrast between Joel Osteen and Dr. Ergun Caner? Here's what Caner had to say at the Southern Baptist Convention (Texas Grandma posted this earlier) :

quote:
"We must cling to the cross; we must preach the old-school way; we must stand unapologetically; we must be the people of God -- and if every other denomination on the planet gives up, may it never be said of Southern Baptists that we backed away from the infallible, inerrant Word of God," Caner said, pushing forward as the "Amens" and applause continued.

"And I will tell you one more thing: It's a fun ride -- because I'm going to beg you: quit whining, quit complaining, quit running; take a stand, take the hit, take the heat; stand up -- He died for you!"

Here's what Osteen had to say about the Southern Baptists:

quote:
KING: But you're not fire and brimstone, right? You're not pound the decks and hell and dam nation?

OSTEEN: No. That's not me. It's never been me. I've always been an encourager at heart. And when I took over from my father he came from the Southern Baptist background and back 40, 50 years ago there was a lot more of that. But, you know, I just -- I don't believe in that. I don't believe -- maybe it was for a time. But I don't have it in my heart to condemn people. I'm there to encourage them. I see myself more as a coach, as a motivator to help them experience the life God has for us.

Sounds to me like he should have stuck with the Baptists, eh?

A question for those who will be quick to defend Osteen and condemn my post:

If a loved one in your family was dying and unsaved, which preacher would you want by their bedside? Osteen or Caner?

Note to skeptics - I doubt you'll find this interview on Osteen's website, and yet, it did indeed happen.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement