Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » The Passion / the Mel Gibson film

Author Topic: The Passion / the Mel Gibson film
TwinsGranny
Advanced Member
Member # 2137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinsGranny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember seeing the move 'Man without a Face'? Know who the story was written about? Who has a lot of 'miracles' happen in his life that did give him back a face? It was Mel Gibson. I agree, there are films I might not like all of the language in, but I would never presume to say if another person was a Christian or not. I believe Mel Gibson IS a Christian and if we are talking about sins, don't we all fall short of the glory of God? But for HIs love and grace, none of us could 'earn' our way to heaven. I pray and ask forgivness everyday for my sins.

I haven't seen the movie, nor do I have very much information on it...but I wouldn't beging to classify someone as 'not being a Christian' when only God can be the judge of that , not us.

Posts: 218 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nobleweb
Advanced Member
Member # 2156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nobleweb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I agree with you to a point. But in order to discern that which is of God, we are repeatedly warned to carefully examine the fruit of all things.

Again I will say that I am not judging the man - I am merely examining the fruit. The fruit of Mel Gibson includes a knowing promotion of things contrary to Christ's teachings.

But I am not saying Mr. Gibson is not a Christian. I merely question the wisdom of following his perception of anything concerning religion and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nobleweb,

quote:
Originally posted by nobleweb:
I don't know whether or not Mel Gibson is a true Christian or not. Only God can see into his heart and know that. But I know this about Mel Gibson...... In almost all of his movies, he uses the name of God in blasphemous ways and quite frequently promotes sinful behavior.

This may be true, but I for one am very glad my behavior before I was saved at the age of 23 was not caught on film. Mel Gibson can be forgiven as much as anyone else. And I pray He has had a change in his life. What he did before he was saved is washed by the blood of the lamb, just like yours and mine. Jesus died for our past, present and future sins! Praise you Lord Jesus Christ and thank you for that great PASSION you have for us.

Forgiven for Life

Watch the Forgive for Life Video - Click Here

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nobleweb
Advanced Member
Member # 2156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nobleweb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see this is an older discussion, but I'm new here and this is a new topic for me. [Smile]

Quite frankly, I'm not excited about this film at all. For starters, I have a problem with the foreign language aspect, as I don't believe Christ's story can accurately be depicted if His Word is left out. And if His Word is spoken to an audience in a language they don't understand, Christ's Word has been effectively left out - regardless of how "telling" the action is.

And as for whether or not Mel Gibson is a Christian...... It's my belief that we use the word "Christian" in WAY too broad a sense. For not all who call themselves Christian are true followers of Christ Jesus.

I don't know whether or not Mel Gibson is a true Christian or not. Only God can see into his heart and know that. But I know this about Mel Gibson...... In almost all of his movies, he uses the name of God in blasphemous ways and quite frequently promotes sinful behavior.

Is this really the type of person we should respect as a truthful source of anything concerning our Lord Jesus Christ?

Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aingeal
Member # 1953

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Aingeal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one am excited to see this film. Mel Gibson had done alot of research biblically and talked with biblical scollars and church leaders, etc to make sure it was as accurate as possible to the gospels. And yes, he IS a christian.

--------------------
Let go and let God.

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theironhorse
Advanced Member
Member # 1800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theironhorse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Passion Revisited / David Limbaugh

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33832

Posts: 27 | From: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theironhorse
Advanced Member
Member # 1800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theironhorse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Mel Gibson is a Christian.

And I think this will become "the film about Jesus."

Like Gibson has said, my prayer is that this film will a tool for evangelism.

We will see...we will see.

Posts: 27 | From: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I did..he is catholic christian!

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theironhorse
Advanced Member
Member # 1800

"How biblical it could be from a man that is not a child of God! Is he a child of God?"

Mac,
Have you read any of the links that have been posted on this film?

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read the script? I haven’t but have you?
How biblical it could be from a man that is not a child of God! Is he a child of God?

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theironhorse
Advanced Member
Member # 1800

Washington D.C. Screening
theironhorse
Advanced Member
Member # 1800

Gibson takes film to church
theironhorse
Advanced Member
Member # 1800

I believe this film will hit the world next year like a storm.

I have always dreamed that one day a film about Christ would really try to portray the events in a realistic and accurate way.

I think Mel Gibson has accomplished this.

The Passion

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement