Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Let us Remember

Author Topic: Let us Remember
Cameron
Advanced Member
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Gary.

--------------------
Why do we care what people think of us when we know what God thinks of us?

Posts: 332 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Cameron, don't let me forget this is an international board.

God bless our wonderful brave allies in Australia and New Zealand, our dear friends in Great Britain and Canada, and so many other countries I cannot name by myself here.

Let us never forget what they did. Tell your children and grandchildren.

God be with you, Cameron, when you are called to defend our freedom!

In Christ,
Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cameron
Advanced Member
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also come from a kind of military family. My Granddad and his brother were both infantrymen in the Second World War. They fought out the Siege of Tobruk, where the 9th Australian Division and the 18th Brigade, 7th Division (to which they belonged) held off Erwin Rommel's Afrika Korps for 8 months, outnumbered 10-1. Then they were sent to the Pacific and saw action at Milne Bay, where, with the help of the US 43rd Engineering Regiment, the Japanese suffered their first defeat of the war. After that they fought though several campaigns, including the Battle of Buna, where their brigade, the 18th, suffered 98% casualties. My great-uncle was one of the wounded. My Granddad was invalided out of the Army in 1945, weeks before their final campaign which were a sideshow that cost many Australian lives for no real gain, simply because Douglas MacAthur wanted all the glory for the US.

My Dad also joined the Army, orignially in the Artillery, but then transferred to the Intelligence Corps. He served in Vietnam in 1969-70.

Well, that's my family military history. Now I just have to wait until I get in, hopefully soon!

--------------------
Why do we care what people think of us when we know what God thinks of us?

Posts: 332 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kindgo, thanks for the response.

I was just sitting here thinking about how Jesus tells us "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

That's what our military people do. They love our country so much (That's us!) that they put their lives on the line to protect us. So I believe the vets are deserving of all the honor we can give them.

My dad was in the army in WWII; he fought on Leyte in the Phillipines, and later on Okinawa. He was awarded the purple heart and the bronze star for his part in the war. My older brother spent 20 years in the Air Force, starting in 1965. As far as I know he didn't see action in Vietnam, though I suspect he spent some time in Thailand, as well as a covert operation against communism in this hemisphere. A younger brother of mine also spent 20 years in the Air Force starting around 1976 or so. He supposedly was instrumental in the use of our computer-guided weapons in the Gulf War.

I am proud of all three of them. I honestly believe the people of the USA owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to such men as these.

In Christ,
Gary

--------------------

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother Gary thanks for this post [thumbsup2]

I am the daughter of a WWII veteran, and my dear husband was a Vietnam veteran, both of my dear daughters are veterans, they did not see war,
they did help train the Saudies doing the Gulf War. [Confused]

We should all remember to thank a vet, everyday [Cool]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today is June 6.

59 years ago today, June 6, 1944, allied forces invaded Normandy in France. It was known as D-Day, and marks the turning point in WWII, ultimately leading to the allied victory.

The veterans of WWII are passing away. We may never see their likes again. Let us remember them in our prayers.

I am a proud son of a WWII Vet.

Gary

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement