Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Senate Bars Minister from Offering Prayer

Author Topic: Senate Bars Minister from Offering Prayer
leeprice
Advanced Member
Member # 1377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leeprice         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need all the prayers we can get, especially with the shape our country is in. Who ARE these "politically correct" jokers wanting to pray to, anyways?? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
Matthew 7

Posts: 55 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess if you don't want a Christian prayer, you shouldn't ask a Christian minister...duh. But I'm sure the Democratic Senator did a fine job in his place. [Roll Eyes] [uhoh]

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article is about a minister who was barred from saying the name of "Jesus" in prayer, so he declined give the opening prayer in the Maryland Senate.

For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.--Matt. 18:20

And you will be hated by all for My name's sake.--Luke 21:17

And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.--John 14:13

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth.--Phil. 2:10

Senate bars minister from offering Christian prayer

--------------------------------------------------
By Stephanie Desmon
Sun Staff
Originally published April 3, 2003

A Frederick County minister was barred from giving the opening prayer in the Maryland Senate yesterday after he refused to do so without invoking the name of Jesus - and violating the body's guidelines for public prayer.

The move revived a debate over the invocations that begin each legislative day and whether the prayers should include references to Christianity or other specific religious deities.

After several prayers early in the session included Jesus Christ, Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller called on lawmakers and clergy to ensure that all prayers remain ecumenical in nature and respectful of all faiths.

Yesterday, the Rev. David N. Hughes Sr., from the Trinity Evangelical and Reform Church in Adamstown, was kept from giving a prayer when his written prayer indicated he intended to close with the words "in Jesus' name - Amen."

Several senators, including Sen. Ida G. Ruben of Montgomery County, spoke with Hughes and asked him to give a more inclusive prayer. But he refused. "I said, 'This is part of my faith,'" Hughes said. "I have to pray in Jesus' name in order for him to hear the prayer, according to the Bible."

Sen. Patrick J. Hogan, a Montgomery Democrat, gave yesterday's prayer in place of Hughes.

Ruben, who is Jewish, says the issue is of separation of church and state and also one of simply following the rules.

Clergy who plan to speak are sent a packet of information, including a piece that implores them not to specify one particular deity. She says she has accepted the existence of the prayer because of Miller's reminders that the opening prayer is a longstanding Senate tradition.

"But if it continues to be nonecumenical," she said, "we shouldn't have it."

Hughes was a guest of Sen. Alex X. Mooney, who called the minister's dismissal censorship.

"They've never stood up and said you can't say Jesus Christ," said the Frederick County Republican. "I don't think anybody's been turned away before."

Maryland news

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement