Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Well here you go. Praying 'In Jesus Name' To Be Outlawed?

Author Topic: Well here you go. Praying 'In Jesus Name' To Be Outlawed?
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeremiah 4:22 For my people [is] foolish, they have not known me; they [are] sottish children, and they have none understanding: they [are] wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.raidersnewsupdate.com/lead-story2.htm

'Sectarian comments' dispute may go to U.S. Supreme Court

by Andy Butcher

The name of Jesus is set to replace the Ten Commandments as the new focal point for church-state clashes at city halls.

While public displays of God's laws on civic property have been the center of constitutional disputes for the last couple of years, attention seems set to switch to local authorities' pre-meeting public prayers.

The debate has been sparked in California, where city councils have been trying to figure out how to ensure the name of Jesus is not invoked, following a state appeals court ruling that lets stand a ban on sectarian comments.

Several cities are set to back the city of Burbank, should it decide to go to the U.S. Supreme Court over a ruling that has barred prayers in the name of Jesus, on the grounds that it violated the constitutionally required separation of church and state.

Burbank mayor David Laurell told "The Orange County Register" the lawsuit "has already had statewide impact and could have nationwide impact ." He added: "I'm all for invocations that are all-inclusive, but I don't want me or anybody else to tell people that it has to be that way."

In Fullerton, the city attorney has advised that invocations can be opened to "Our Heavenly Father," but should end only with "amen" and no mention of Jesus, the newspaper said.

John Mastrogiovanni, president of the Monrovia Ministerial Association and pastor of Jesus is Lord Christian Center, told "The Pasadena Star-News" the issue did not just affect Christians. "In the name of not being offensive to others it's also saying now you can't be who you are. That's like saying if you're black, don't be black anymore because that offends me."

In Temple City, mayor Kenneth Gillanders said that religious leaders invited to open meetings with prayer could continue to do so how they wanted. "Frankly, we're a little reluctant to have somebody force their views on us," he told the "Star-News." "It's strange to pick out [invocations] when we have 'Under God' stamped on our coins. It's part of the litigious society we're in."

Some evangelical churches have withdrawn from giving invocations because of the ban on using Jesus' name, "The San Gabriel Valley News" reported. Among them is Ron Sukut, who pastors Cornerstone Community Church in San Clemente.

He told the "Register": "This is indicative of how confused we are, spiritually speaking, about what God is. I think we have a constitutional right to choose which God we're praying to. Taking that right away is what's unconstitutional."

The issue has also surfaced in the Maryland state Senate, after three pre-meeting prayers were given in Jesus' name last week, "The Baltimore Sun" reported. "There are numerous faiths represented in the General Assembly, and in recognition of that...the prayers that are said...should be as neutral in terms of their reference to a particular god as they can be," said Sen. Sharon M. Grosfeld, D-Montgomery County, who is Jewish.

Meanwhile, Colorado's State Board of Education has ended its pre-meeting public prayers, after a request from Jewish member Evie Hudak. "It's just not the kind of situation I felt comfortable with," she said, "The Denver Post" reported.

Strang Communications

All Copyrights© are acknowledged. Material reproduced for
educational and research purposes only.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement