Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » A Religious Freedom Christmas Wish

Author Topic: A Religious Freedom Christmas Wish
Hannahgirl
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I bet they let them have the freedom to have a SANTA (SATAN)....talk about him and read about him.

SAD, SAD, SAD state our society is in.

[mad2]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry Falwell
Sunday, Dec. 8, 2002
This Christmas, I am wishing for a special gift to the students of faith in our nation's schools. I wish them freedom.

You may think that they have the same freedom that other students enjoy, but you'd be very wrong. In fact, many Christian students across our nation have faced persecution on a variety of levels this year.

This past week, Christian students at a Reno, Nev., high school saw their religious views officially – and unconstitutionally – censured by school officials. For several years, a Christian student club has passed out candy canes with the message "Jesus Loves You" affixed. But this year, after the principal consulted with district officials, the decision was made to deny the students permission to distribute the candy.

This judgment was made because of the "specific content message" that was attached to the candy and the potential "offense" that could be taken because of it.

This has become an almost typical reaction to the activity of Christian students in many public schools nationwide. The "you might offend somebody" excuse is becoming quite popular.

In the Reno case, Brad Dacus, president of the Citrus Heights, Calif.-based Pacific Justice Institute, said, "We have pledged to represent these high school students, and will not tolerate such blatant suppression of student religious speech."

Mr. Dacus is part of a growing group of religious freedom warriors who defend students and others against blatantly discriminatory rulings and policies.

Mr. Dacus' group has written to the school, explaining that under the First Amendment, religious speech is as protected as any other speech. (The ACLU would have you believe otherwise.) In fact, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the desire to mitigate uneasiness (in this case protecting potentially offended individuals) does not constitute adequate justification for a school or district to engage in viewpoint discrimination or censorship.

Let's hope the Reno officials quickly learn this.

Earlier this year, students at Florida's Seminole High School faced discrimination of their own. After school officials learned that a school choir was scheduled to appear at Sept. 11 memorial event, they were denied permission to sing.

The sole reason? The event was to be held at a local church. In fact, school officials announced that they were permanently banning the choir from singing at any event conducted at a church.

Thankfully, there is a happy conclusion to this story. After Mathew Staver of the Orlando-based Liberty Counsel interceded for the choir, the principal announced this week that the school board has had a change of mind. He issued new guidelines that will allow the award-winning Seminole High School Gospel Choir to sing at religious events. Upon hearing the news, members of the predominately black choir erupted in cheers.

There are dozens of similar cases. A few examples: Parents of slain students at Columbine High School have been prevented from mounting tiles bearing religious messages; in Albany, N.Y., students and family members have been prevented from utilizing commemorative bricks bearing religious messages; after a four-year court battle, Seattle-area Bible club students have finally won their right to meet at school just like all the other clubs; a Massachusetts student was halted in mid-report from reading a passage on the birth of Jesus simply because the book she utilized was "religious."

There are many other instances.

Warning Flag

On Thursday's episode of "E.R.", a character breathed the words, "Thank you, Jesus," when learning that her son had survived an automobile accident. The words were meant as a warning flag as to this character's menacing and intolerant demeanor.

I fear that many school officials in this nation take a similar approach as the "E.R." producers. When they hear that students want to pray, meet together, mention their Savior in a report, or share some literature, they see it as a warning flag. Oftentimes, the students face persecution.

And we are the ones portrayed as intolerant!

That is why I am praying this year for freedom for these Christian students. Many are literally under attack because of their sincerely held beliefs. I pray that our schools will extend the "tolerance" they claim to uphold for others.

Our Founding Fathers believed that national support of religion was urgently needed. As President George Washington stated in his farewell address, "reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle." Pennsylvanian Benjamin Rush, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, agreed, saying in specific terms, "Where there is no religion, there will be no morals."

May the spirit of our Founders return to our public schools so that our Christian students freely live out their faith.

Broadcast Update

You may have watched me earlier this week on MSNBC's "Donahue" broadcast. I was the only guest in the studio with host Phil Donahue and I was able to specifically discuss the Gospel with Phil and his studio and television audiences.

Well, I just received a call today asking that I return Monday, Dec. 9, for an encore visit to New York in MSNBC's Rockefeller Plaza studios. I encourage you to pray that this broadcast with Donahue will have an impact on many lives – including his. Please tune in for the broadcast Monday at 8:00 p.m. (ET) on MSNBC. It should be another classic!

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement