Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Churches recruit Harry Potter

Author Topic: Churches recruit Harry Potter
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I can understand you better I see your point. That's a good suggestion for why they're picking on poor Harry and not the others. I think it's more because Harry Potter is new and hot. LOTR and Star Wars are hot, too, but are considered classics, so they know they won't get very far by criticizing them.

I just absolutely could not understand your first post, MAC.

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHY THEY DON'T DO THE SAME WITH, STAR WARS, LORD OF THE RINGS AND OTHERS.

VERY SIMPLE (THAT IS WHAT THEY LIKE) THEY DON'T SEE AS MUCH EVIL ON
THIS BECAUSE IT IS OF THERE TASTE.

HARRY POTTER HAVE TOO MUCH (HOCUS-) THAT IS EVIL?

THEIR JUDGMENTS IS ACCORDING IN HOW MUCH EVIL IS IN THERE!

WHAT THINKS YE WATERDOG!

DO YOU SEE DIFFERENT.

BRINGING OUT THE BEAUTY STEADFASTLY

Thank You
Love in Christ [Cross]
MAC

Job 33:18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.

Job 33:28 He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.

PS 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

[Lighthouse]
Ezekiel 33:7 So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MIGUEL ANGEL CHAPARRO:
ProphecyEye different levels of convictions in the believers live.

All turn to their desires tours what is and what is not?

HUH??!!

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ProphecyEye different levels of convictions in the believers live.

All turn to their desires tours what is and what is not?

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProphecyEye
Advanced Member
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProphecyEye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does everyone

1. Equate magic to the occult
2. Not criticize Lord of the Rings which has had just as big if not a bigger impact on society
3. Not criticize Star Wars for the same reasons

Just wondering

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ntercesser
Advanced Member
Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ntercesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
something i just found out.

the new Harry Potter movie, not sure if it is Part 2 or 3 and "not bad enought for a PG-13 rating but should have a PG-9 on it. t will scare kids under 9" author of Harry Potter books.

Sounds like good Christian material to me. [fie]

Posts: 66 | From: in Texas,wanting the UK, praying for Home | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ntercesser
Advanced Member
Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ntercesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
definately a ditto and an AMEN!
Posts: 66 | From: in Texas,wanting the UK, praying for Home | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mouse
Community Member
Member # 514

Icon 9 posted      Profile for mouse         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Bang Head]

Why do churches support something that glamorizes the occult? Rowling has made an intensive study over many years of occult practices, and unashamedly so. The church has no business supporting this series! No wonder people think we are a bunch of hypocrites!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
web page

By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent
(Filed: 09/10/2002)

Harry Potter, demonised by evangelicals for glamorising the occult, is to be used by Church leaders to spread the Christian message.

J K Rowling's creation, who is more usually associated with wizardry than worship, features in a new mission guide endorsed by the main Christian Churches.

The booklet, launched yesterday by the Bishop of Rochester, the Rt Rev Michael Nazir-Ali, argues that the Harry Potter books can help illuminate themes such as the battle between good and evil.

The children's books "ask people to look again at the selfish material world and the presence within it of Christian values - truth, love and, supremely, self-giving and sacrifice", it said.

The booklet, which accompanies Presence and Prophesy, a weighty book on mission, has been published by the ecumenical body Churches Together in England and Ireland weeks before the release of the film Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

J K Rowling's books, which have sold more than 90 million copies worldwide, have been attacked by Christians in Britain and America as a dangerous influence on children.

Canterbury cathedral turned down the chance of being a location for the first film in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, because of fears that the film's pagan imagery might upset worshippers.

The new booklet said that Harry Potter was first seen as "one of the powerless and the voiceless".

"In our sort of world, the selfish, materially-driven world we live in, Harry is entirely unprivileged," it said. "Like so many in our society, he is at the bottom of the heap, ignored, enslaved.

"But Harry has a destiny that is known by others in another world. He is called to be among them."

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement