Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Laban said to himself, "THIS is my lucky day!"

Author Topic: Laban said to himself, "THIS is my lucky day!"
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laban had said to himself, “THIS is my lucky day”.

For Jacob had come to Laban because Jacob wanted to leave Haran and Laban said to Jacob:

Genesis 30
29 Stipulate your salary to me and I will give it to you. Then Jacob said, You know how I have served you and what has become of your troop with me.

30 Because the little that you had before me has grown greatly, and the Eternal has blessed you during my steps. Now, when shall I work for my own household?

31a Then Laban said, What shall I give you? And Jacob answered, YOU SHALL NOT GIVE ME ANYTHING.

Laban is thinking, What, I don’t have to give you ANYTHING??? This is your lucky day, Laban …

Genesis 30
31b [Then Jacob continued] If you will consent to what I’m going to tell you, I will again pasture your troop and watch them.

32 And today I will go through your troop and among the sheep I will put apart all the lambs that spotted and striped and all black lambs, and among the goats [I will also put apart] all which are striped and spotted. And of these shall be my salary.

33 My righteousness shall answer for me tomorrow when you come to see my salary. All which are not spotted and striped among the goats and are not black among the lambs, those shall be considered as stolen by me.

34 Then Laban said, “Very well! Let it be according to your word”.

35 That same day, he {Laban} set apart the spotted and striped bucks, all the spotted and striped goats, and all those in which there was some white, and all that were black among the sheep. And he gave them into the hands of his sons.

36 And then he {Laban} set a space of three days road journey between himself and Jacob; and Jacob pastured the rest of Laban’s troop.

So Jacob only has the white and other light-coated sheep and goats of Laban with him, and Jacob’s salary is ONLY going to be IF any spotted and striped sheep and goats that come from this all-white troop of Laban.

Now, even back then, Laban would have understood that all-white sheep and all-white goats mostly only produced MORE all-white sheep and all-white goats. LABAN COULD NOT BELIEVE HIS GOOD LUCK and he could not believe that Jacob had asked for such a RIDICULOUS SALARY!!!

But Laban had NOT COUNTED on the LORD God of Abaham and Isaac and Jacob.

Genesis 30
37 Jacob took green branches of the poplar and of the almond tree and of the platane tree, and he peeled white bands in them, so that the inner white of the branches showed.

38 Then he placed the branches which he had peeled in the eating and drinking troughs, under the eyes of the sheep who camt to drink, so that they would come into heat when they came to drink.

39 And the sheep came into heat next to the branches and they made spotted and striped little ones.

40 Then Jacob separated the lambs and he put together those who were striped and spotted and black in Laban’s troop {of heretofore all-white sheep, that is}. And he set those sheep apart, and did not join them with Laban’s {all-white} troop.

41 And every time that the vigorous sheep came into heat, Jacob placed the branches in the troughs, under the eyes of the sheep, so that they entered into heat close to the branches.

42 But when the sheep were weak and feable, he did not place the branches there, so that the weak sheep remained for Laban {because they had all-white little ones}, and the vigorous sheep were for Jacob.

43 And so this man became richer and richer and he had small cattle in abundance and male and female servants and camels and donkeys.

For Jacob had seen in a dream that all the bucks that went onto the females were spotted and striped:

Genesis 31
10 At the time when the sheep entered into heat, I saw in a dream that the bucks which went onto the females were spotted and striped.

And so all Jacob did was to place the banded branches whenever the vigorous sheep and goats came to the troughs and to NOT place the branches when the weak sheep and goats came to the troughs, and THE LORD WOULD DO THE REST.

Laban had not been able to believe his good luck when Jacob had said to him that Jacob’s salary “would be all the spotted and striped sheep and goats from only among the all-white goats”, and to make it even crazier, that Jacob would take “all the spotted and striped sheep and goats of Laban” and send them three-days’ journey away, so that Jacob would “only get the spotted and striped if any were born among the all-white sheep and goats”.

That Jacob was CRAZY, for Jacob had said,

Genesis 30
32 Today I will go through your troop and among the sheep I will put apart all the lambs that spotted and striped and all black lambs, and among the goats [I will also put apart] all which are striped and spotted. And of these shall be my salary.

34 Then Laban said, “Very well!!! Let it be according to your word!!!”

35 And that same day, he {Laban} set apart the spotted and striped bucks, all the spotted and striped goats, and all those in which there was some white, and all that were black among the sheep. And he gave them into the hands of his sons.

But Laban had not counted on God. This was NOT Laban's lucky day.

Geneis
43 For {Jacob} became richer and richer and had small cattle in abundance and he had many male and female servants and camels and donkeys.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement