Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » How To Live For God's Glory

Author Topic: How To Live For God's Glory
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again Carol,
Today, while at work I had thought about your intitial question..........If we are submitted to God and being led by the Holy Spirit, why then do we feel that we are not doing enough?

Think about this for a moment.........for anybody, that is, when they envision an outcome to be a certain way and it does not pan out how they have anticipated, they have the "natural" tendency to think to themselves........."maybe I could have done more".

Add the Holy Spirit into the equation and you dont have much of a difference. Any one of us can become disappointed or dismayed in our walk with the Lord because the outcome/or present day circumstance does not match up with what we had envisioned to be Gods plan? I can see where we could then easily be swayed into feeling that perhaps we did not do enough or listen close enough to Gods voice.

Case in point: I have a sister-in-law who's husband committed adultery. She was willing to forgive him and to start all over again. Her vision of a restored relationship was crushed when he chose to remain in his adulterous relationship. She was left "feeling like she did not do enough", even though she had done as much as she could have done. It was the circumstances that were beyond her control that brought the house down. She did what she believed God had desired, but the outcome was not what she had hoped for and envisioned.

All in all, I think that anyone of us can have the feeling that we did not do enough, especially if we do not see an outcome that we had envisioned would be part of Gods plan for our life.

The reason why I had such a difficulty with this question is because I thought that "feeling like we do not do enough" would not likely be the thoughts of a Christian who feels confident that he/she is being led by the Holy Spirit. After much thought and consideration on this matter, I do not believe that it is impossible, in fact I believe that it happens to most of us at some time in our lives as Christians who believe God can do great things.

I understand that my response here is off-kilter because the wording has changed from " feeling like not doing enough" to " feeling like not doing enough for Him". If I had been considering the latter, then I am sure that my response would not have been the same. It appears that I am missing the whole point by not understanding the intended meaning of the phrase "not doing enough"......sorry.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Perhaps saying we feel we should be doing more for Him is simply another way of saying we want to feel closer to Him. Like Moses, we want to see God, in a manner of speaking.
Carol, this is a very wonderful thought.

I have never actually looked at it from that perspective before.

It would seem that we want to feel closer to him and perhaps we beleive if we can do better then we will.

That is a very interesting thought.

God-Bless!

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am only comparing two ideas, and wondering how do they relate to each other.

For the most part, God worked in and through Moses, and Moses simply submitted. But there was a time when Moses acted on his own and made a request of God - he asked to see God. (Ex. 33:18-23)

For the most part, Peter focused on Christ and tried to do things to please Him. But on the day of Pentecost, Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit made a powerful speech through Peter.

So, it seems to me that sometimes we are filled with the Holy Spirit and submit to Him, and He does all the work to fulfill a purpose of God. At other times we focus on Christ and try ourselves to do what pleases Him.

Perhaps saying we feel we should be doing more for Him is simply another way of saying we want to feel closer to Him. Like Moses, we want to see God, in a manner of speaking.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol,
Are you asking these questions because that it the way that you feel, or do you believe that "feeling like WE do not do enough" applies to everyone?

The quote above(of mine) that you cited was not meant to be an answer all, but only an attempt to take a shot at why someone may feel that way? I was having a difficult time(in my mind)reconciling the ideas that someone could be confident that they are being led by the Holy Spirit in thier life, but yet at the same time have the feeling that they are not doing enough.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One other perspective that I would like to come from on this topic...........
If someone is pre-occupied with the thoughts of not doing enough, perhaps they could be putting their trust in a works-based salvation.

This is not a question of salvation, or of feeling that we aren't good enough, (we aren't). I am comparing two ideas, and wondering how do they relate to each other.

In the 'A Surrendered Will' topic, Wiersbe wrote:

quote:
Paul outlined three works that are involved in a complete Christian life (Eph. 2:8-10). First, there is the work God does for us, which is salvation. Jesus Christ completed this work on the cross. If we trust Him, He will save us. Second, there is the work God does in us: “For we are His workmanship.” This work is known as sanctification: God builds our character and we become more like Jesus Christ, “conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom. 8:29). The third work is what God does through us—service . We are “created in Christ Jesus unto good works.”
In this 'How To Live For God's Glory' topic, MacArthur wrote:

quote:
How does a person glorify God? No question is more practical or more significant. The supreme purpose in life for any man or woman—for anyone who has ever been born into this world—is to glorify God. That is what living is all about. Glorifying God is the end result of the Christian life. Spiritual maturity is simply concentrating and focusing on the person of God until we are caught up in His majesty and His glory.

I would like to suggest some practical ways for the Christian to glorify God:

I say a big YES to both of these. Yet there is a difference. Wiersbe says God works in us and through us when we submit. (Like Moses). MacArthur says we focus on God, and we do these acts of obedience. (Like Peter walking on water).

I believe that both of these are true.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't feel good enough because we aren't good enough, and would never be good enough.

*I wouldn’t trust the best fifteen minutes I ever lived to get me into heaven. -Adrian Rogers

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Carol,
Your question: If we are submitted to and guided by the Holy Spirit, why do we feel that we dont do enough?

If we believe that Jesus is worthy of all glory and honor , we may be lead to feel that Jesus is worthy of more worship and devotion than we have been giving Him ......is there a such thing as loving Jesus too much? I dont think so.

I would like to come at this from another angle. Having witnessed the work of God in my life and in the lives of people around me, my fear is not that I am not doing enough for Him, but more rather that I am afraid that I could miss a "cue" given by the Holy Spirit as to where I need to be headed or what I need to be doing next? Once I am certain of that "prompting", then I am confident that if I choose to obey it, that it will ultimately lead to God's will(desire;which I put my trust in)being fullfilled in me.

One other perspective that I would like to come from on this topic...........
If someone is pre-occupied with the thoughts of not doing enough, perhaps they could be putting their trust in a works-based salvation.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Amen.

The Christ was one with God from the beginning, and during His earthly ministry He was perfectly in tune with the Father's will.

But we were born with a sin nature, and adopted into the family of God. It's like a child adopted by a family that takes him to live in a foreign country. The child has a new family, and he needs to learn a new language, new customs and new rules.

So we are learning to live for the glory of God. His Spirit lives within us to teach us and help us, and we have His written Word to learn from. And we are expected to actually learn, and to do what we learn; we are expected to obey.

If we do learn and obey, but we reach a point where we feel we aren't doing enough, I wonder if that means we are ready to learn something new?

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying the answer is obvious or easy.

All I can do is say what I feel.

It's even possible that this is the result of the sin nature still dwelling within our flesh.

No one knows but God.

Despite how we feel, however, Jesus Christ is still our Lord who forgave us of our sins and short-commings.

So regardless of how I feel, I know the truth: That Jesus is almighty and loves me even though I am not, nor ever will be, worthy of his love.

Amen?

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

And that takes us back to the first question...

"If we are submitted to and guided by the Holy Spirit, then why do we feel we don't do enough?"

You see, it's not such an easy and obvious answer.

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Well, we can't better ourselves through the flesh that is correct.

But the spirit, who dwells within us, guides us.

If the spirit guides us to better ourselves then we can, because it is the spirit working through us.

Atleast that's how I beleive it to be.

All things are possible by God.

Nothing is possible through myself alone.

But, God acting through me allows me to do all things.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

That's actually part of the question. We can't better ourselves - that would be acting in the flesh. Eventually it would lead to legalism and self-righteousness.
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Now, after thinking on it, maybe it's one of the ways God drives us to perfection.

When we constantly beleive we can do better maybe it helps us better ourselves and keep us in check.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Perhaps the answer is as simple as we don't do enough.

Perhaps God beleives we can do more?

My pride wants to make excuses and say, "No that is not the case."

But I think my heart knows better.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

I feel that way too. That's why I'm wondering about the difference between obedience and submission. If we are submitted to and guided by the Holy Spirit, then why do we feel we don't do enough?
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Amen, Carol!

We are truly meant to glorify God, but it is sad at how little we actually do glorify him.

I can’t help but think that I am a poor example of a Christian.

For the most part, I don’t feel that I glorify God enough.

I don’t feel I show a good enough example to others around me, etc.

I know we are all sinners, and have fallen short of the Glory of God.

That is why I am so thankful that I have Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior.

Alone, we can not do anything good – for no good deed comes of the flesh.

Your post has convicted me today, I need to live better, behave better, pray better, be more fruitful and etc.

Thank you for your post, Carol.

I think it serves as a good reminder to all of us to mind our P’s and Q’s and remember that we are ambassadors and representatives for the Lord.

So we should act on our best behavior at all times, and keep mindful of the Spirit who dwells within us.

God-Bless,

Matt

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How To Live For God's Glory

“Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.”
The Westminster Shorter Catechism

How does a person glorify God? No question is more practical or more significant. The supreme purpose in life for any man or woman—for anyone who has ever been born into this world—is to glorify God. That is what living is all about. Glorifying God is the end result of the Christian life. Spiritual maturity is simply concentrating and focusing on the person of God until we are caught up in His majesty and His glory.

I would like to suggest some practical ways for the Christian to glorify God:

Confess Your Sins. Confession of sin glorifies God because if you excuse your sin, you absolve yourself of responsibility and blame God for letting you get into a mess. Adam illustrates this. When God confronted him, what was his excuse? “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate” (Genesis 3:12). He was practically saying, “You did it, God. If You hadn’t given me this woman, none of this would ever have happened.”

To do that is to blame God and thus to assign guilt to Him. But God is never at fault when we sin. Implying that He is somehow responsible maligns His holiness. So those who try to sneak out from under the absolute responsibility for their own sin commit a grievous sin against the glory of God.

First John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” The Greek word for “confess” is homologeo, meaning “to say the same thing.” To confess means to agree with God that sin is all our fault and to repent. That act glorifies God. We don’t have to beg God for forgiveness. He is faithful and just to forgive as soon as we agree with Him.

Bear Fruit. In John 15:8 Jesus told the disciples, “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit.” Why? Because then the world can see the results of a Spirit-filled life. That is what we are here for—to put God on display to the world.

Colossians 1:10 says, “Walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work.” Good works are fruit. When we live a life of good works, the world will see and glorify our Father in heaven.

Give Praise to God. Psalm 50:23 says, “He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving honors Me.” Praise honors God. One way to praise God is to give Him credit for everything. In 2 Samuel 12:26-31, when Joab won the victory against Rabbah and got possession of the enemy’s crown, he sent for David so he could present the crown to him. This is a good illustration of how the Christian should act toward the Master. You win a victory in your life, but you don’t wear the crown. You give it to the Lord, who has won the victory for you.

Be Content. We may be discontented about ourselves and about our circumstances. But who made us? God. And He promises to supply all our needs. When we are content, we acknowledge God’s sovereignty in our lives, and that gives Him glory. If we are discontented, it’s the same as questioning God’s wisdom. That doesn’t glorify Him.

Paul testified, “I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am” (Philippians 4:11). Paul was confident that God would use all things—poverty as well as abundance, comfort as well as pain—for Paul’s good and God’s glory (Romans 8:28). He didn’t say, “I’ll give God glory in spite of my pain.” He said, “I will give God glory because of it.”

A Christian who is discontented for any reason—job, spouse, finances—is a terrible testimony about the goodness of our God. What kind of God do we have? Is He really sovereign? Can He really be trusted? Glorifying God means that we praise Him with absolute contentment, knowing that our lot is God’s plan for us now.

Pray According to God’s Will. Jesus said, “Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son” (John 14:13). Jesus’ name signifies all that He is and all that He would want. Praying in His name means praying in accordance with His character and His will. And God delights to reveal His glory in answered prayer. That is why He commands us to pray—so He can show us His greatness and we can give Him the praise He’s worthy to receive.

Proclaim God’s Word. Paul wrote, “Brethren, pray for us that the word of the Lord will spread rapidly and be glorified, just as it did also with you” (2 Thessalonians 3:1). How was the Word glorified through those believers? Because they heard it and believed. They trusted Christ and were born again—and God got the glory.

Presenting the Word clearly and accurately always gives Him glory. Every time a Sunday school teacher teaches a class of kids, every time a Bible study leader opens the Word in someone’s living room, every time a father sits down with his family and starts talking about the Word of God, God is glorified. We honor Him by making His Word known and understood.

Lead Others to Christ. God also gets glory when people are redeemed. He is glorified when Satan’s prison is broken open and men and women are turned loose from the power of the evil one. People are saved from their sins in order to give God glory. So the more people who get converted, the more thanksgiving is going on, and the more there are in the choir singing, “Hallelujah!” (2 Corinthians 4:15).

How to Enjoy God

When we live to glorify God, He responds by giving us overwhelming joy. “Well,” you say, “I have a tough life. I just don’t have any joy.” May I suggest an answer? Start glorifying God.

Joy does not necessarily always make sorrow, discouragement, pain, and failure go away, but Christians can experience supernatural joy even in the midst of those things. In fact sin is ultimately the only thing that can steal Christians’ joy. When our joy begins to fade, it is a sure sign of encroaching sin or unbelief. What can we do in times like that? Get down on our knees and confess the sin in our lives. We need to pray with David, “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation” (Psalm 51:12). Then we yield to the Holy Spirit, and joy returns.

Jesus desires that His joy remain in us (John 15:11). His joy that we know in part now is what we will know perfectly in heaven. Perhaps the greatest promise in all the Bible is 1 Thessalonians 4:17: “We shall always be with the Lord.” Now that’s joy!

(John MacArthur)
http://www.crossway.org/product/663575727255

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement