Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Bible and the Holy Spirit

Author Topic: The Bible and the Holy Spirit
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we first become Christians, we start to read the Bible because we do not know anything about God.

And in the Bible we read about God's working in history, but in the Bible God also tells us what He wants us to do.

And one thing that I read in the Bible that He wants me to do after I am saved is to have faith that God will guide my every step:

Jeremiah 10:23
O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man who walk to direct his steps.

Proverbs 16:9
A man's heart devises his way: but the LORD directs his steps.

John 16
7 I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I do not go away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.

John 14:17
Even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it sees Him not, neither knows Him: but you know Him for He dwells with you, and shall be in you.

So from the Bible or written Word of God I learn that after salvation, God gives me the Holy Spirit inside of me.

But the Holy Spirit is put inside of me, not just for me to read the Bible with, but also for me to communicate with the risen Jesus who is alive in heaven and who is the head of the church:

Colossians 1:18
And He is the head of the body, the church ...

In a human body, the head is the instrument which directs everything in the body. The body only does what the mind says it should do next.

And so it is also with Jesus as the head of the body of the church. Once we are saved, God wants us to take a second step of faith and let the risen Jesus in heaven to begin to run our Christian life for us.

And THIS is the main reason why we who are saved are GIVEN the Holy Spirit inside of us, because the Holy Spirit knows the mind of God and the Holy Spirit can convey what Jesus in heaven is saying to my spirit:

Romans 8
27 And He who searches the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

1 Corinthians 2:16
For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.

But we only have the mind of Christ if we let Jesus, the head of the body of the church, guide our ever step through the Holy Spirit:

Romans 8:16
The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.

And so we learn in the Bible that God wants us to stop leaning on our own understanding:

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding.

Hebrews 4:10
For he who is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Matthew 4:4
But He said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

The words that proceed out of the mouth of God are not just the words from the Bible but also the words which God speaks from heaven to the Holy Spirit which is inside of us in order to guide our steps from moment to moment.

It is important for Christians to realize that there is more to the Christian life than only reading the Word of God; the Christian must by faith trust that God meant if when God said that He would guide our every step until we die:

Psalm 32:8
I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go: I will guide you with My eye.

Psalm 48:14
For this God is our God forever and ever: and He will be our guide even unto death.

So yes, first by faith are we saved, and we must read the Word of God to find out about all the wonderful works of God from the past, and to find out what God has for us in the present.

But if we stop there, we are missing something important. We must also by faith believe God that God meant what He said when God said that He would:

Psalm 32:8
I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go: I will guide you with My eye.

And that is the MAIN reason why we were given the Holy Spirit because God uses the Holy Spirit inside of us to talk to us directly from heaven as the head of the body of the church.

So every morning we should say to God, God thank You for saving me, and by faith I believe You when You said that You would now guide my steps and teach me Your ways by the Holy Spirit, in Jesus's Name, Amen.

But if we continue to lean on our own understanding, then we are not listening to what God the Father and God the Son, the head of the body of the church, is saying to the Holy Spirit inside of us, so then we are basically still running our own lives.

That's why the only way that we will stop devising our own ways is when we have faith or trust that God will really step in and start to guide our steps, as God promised to do in His Word once we were saved, hallelujah.

And that is when the abundant life starts.

Matthew 4:4
But He said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement