Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Animals and Man Friends at One Time?

Author Topic: Animals and Man Friends at One Time?
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genesis 9
2 After the great flood, God was speaking to Noah, and said, "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth..."

MentorsRiddle wrote
quote:
You have to admit: it would help to explain how Noah got some of the animals into the Ark if they weren't afraid of man at this time.
If one or more pairs of all the animals in the world "flew by the Spirit" to where Noah had made the ark, it's a miracle anyway.

But I do find it a bit astonishing if the animals and man were made antagonistic to each other by just this one statement of God in Genesis 9:2:

Genesis 9
2 After the great flood, God was speaking to Noah, and said, "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth..."

With God nothing is impossible, but to imagine that in this one command--and instant--all the animals who came off the ark were afraid of man, is also hard to believe.

On the other hand, MentorsRiddle said that it would help if all the animals and man still liked each other when they went on the ark.

And presumably it would "help get them home" if they now suddenly did not like each other as they came out of the ark. LOL

But it's a good Topic, MentorsRiddle, it had never occurred to me before that hunting is not mentioned between Adam and Eve's expulsion from the garden and the flood of Noah. Good observation.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ the picture

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to admit: it would help to explain how Noah got some of the animals into the Ark if they weren't afraid of man at this time.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol Swenson wrote
quote:
Biblically, man was not permitted to eat animals until after Noah’s Flood. Possibly man hunted animals before the Flood for purposes other than food such as clothing ...
Prior to the flood there is no mention of hunting in the book of Genesis, it only says that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground and that Abel brought of the firstling of the flock and the fat thereof:

Genesis 4
3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

4And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering.

So it appears that the descendants of Adam and Eve, once outside the garden of Eden, tilled the ground and kept flocks, and that they did kill some of the flock since Abel also brought the fat thereof which can only be done if the animal has been killed or died naturally.

So apparently Abel did kill a firstling of his flock, which would have made the rest of his flock a bit more nervous unless the killing was done in a remote area sufficiently far away from the flock to hear the "terminal cry" of the animal.

But hunting is not mentioned before the flood, so presumably the main animal population was always left alone and had no particular experience of man pursuing them in a hunt, kind of like the animals in our wildlife reserves where the animals seem to sense that hunting is not allowed in the reserve.

However, I would think that man would have been afraid of lions and panthers and tigers and poisonous snakes, unless God made all the animals and men afraid of each other after the flood.

So Genesis 9:2 said:

Genesis 9

God might also well have said that "the fear and dread of every large animal will be upon you".

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biblically, man was not permitted to eat animals until after Noah’s Flood. Possibly man hunted animals before the Flood for purposes other than food such as clothing, although in Genesis 6:12 all flesh is described as being corrupt. From Genesis 9:2 it appears that man and animals did not fear each other before the Flood. As a result of the Flood, though, that relationship has changed; the “fear and dread” of man fell on the animals. In Genesis 9:3 God also permitted man to eat meat, in addition to his previous diet of plants.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

After the great flood, God was speaking to Noah, and said, "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth..."

The Book of Genesis 9:2

So before this time, were animals not afraid of man?

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement