Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Why Church Attendance

Author Topic: Why Church Attendance
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MentorsRiddle wrote
quote:
That's a beautiful picture & I think it would be very wonderful for the Christians...

However, it has been my experience that people do not like Christians, and if it is not the traffic problems, then it will be something else they complain about.

My dad says that many people did not like the Hare Krishnas either because by society's standards, they were "way out there".

But many people feel the same way about Christians as being "fools who believe that Jesus rose from the dead and that Jesus is coming back", HA!

But always among the goats are sheep who WILL respond to the love and singing of the Christians even while the goats hate us. The fact that Christians are hardly ever seen as a large group outside of the church building, probably is the cause why a number of sheep never get saved.

MentorsRiddle continued
quote:
Have you ever noticed that Christians just want to be left alone, but for some reason everyone tries to infiltrate our religion and knock it -- trying to make the Holy Bible into hate speech?
Actually Christians do a lot of good works in the community, probably more so than any other group, so it cannot be said that "Christians want to be left alone".

But sure, if Christ be true and if the devil be true, and if all the other religions are actually devil worship, then of course it is understandable that Christianity would be the religion that "all others attack" because the devil is behind all of them, and the Devil, or Lucifer, wants to prevent the Prince of Ezekiel 40-48 from taking His Rightful Seat. Hence the attacks on Christianity alone.

MentorsRiddle continued
quote:
People will hate us and scorn us no matter if we "dance in the streets" or stay inside our churches.
Sure, but there are people out there who would be saved by our dancing and singing with joy before the LORD.

So it still amazes me that we the church don't do that; my home town has a "tourist redevelopment section" in which hundreds of people circulate to look at each other, but practically all the street musicians are singing worldly songs, and there is not a choir in sight; ever.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden,

That's a beautiful picture & I think it would be very wonderful for the Christians...

However, it has been my experience that people do not like Christians, and if it is not the traffic problems, then it will be something else they complain about.

Have you ever noticed that Christians just want to be left alone, but for some reason everyone tries to infiltrate our religion and knock it -- trying to make the Holy Bible into hate speech?

People will hate us and scorn us no matter if we "dance in the streets" or stay inside our churches.

But, I do like what you said about praising the Lord in the streets -- it certainly is a wonderful and beautiful idea.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I would like to see more of though is to ssee the congregation come out of the church after they are finished being in the church and walk to the parks and in the streets of their respective cities so that the people may see them.

My dad tells me about when the Hare Krishnas danced along singing and playing instruments in the streets of his town, and many people admired that and got to see it and it drew many people to them.

So why is the church not doing that? The people of the city barely notice that all the church members are meeting in all these church: the members arrive gradually and separately and leave gradually and separately, and if anything, they are berated by the people of the city for causing "traffic jams" and "parking problems".

I'd love to see more members come out of the church in large groups and walk singing and dancing like David to the parks and through the streets, to show forth the glory of the LORD:

Psalm 79:13
So we Your people and sheep of Your pasture will give You thanks forever: we will show forth You praise to all generations.

Psalm 106:2
Who can utter the mighty acts of the LORD? Who can show forth all His praise?

Psalm 9:14
That I may show forth all Your praise in the gates of the daughter of Zion: I will rejoice in Your salvation.

And they went along singing Hallelujah.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks! [hug]

YOU TOO!

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they are gifts [Smile]

I just know that when I learn new things concerning spiritual matters I feel more uplifted and alive. [Smile]

Thanks for all the posts Carol, you are doing a great job [Smile]

God Bless

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't learn much during a church service either. Actually, the really good preachers on radio and TV are better than most local pastors. But, I don't go to church for me - I go for Him.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think a craving for God's Word and spiritual growth are GIFTS from HIM. [clap2]

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Howdy!

I never really thought of it that way before.

I do enjoy the praise and worship of church -- and I certainly don't mind tithing at all. It's mainly just the preaching, I just don't feel like I ever learn anything new.

Well, that's not entireley true.

I do learn something new from time to time, but those times are few and far between.

I do like your description though.

The praise and worship is a fun part of church, which I enjoy alot.

[Big Grin]

This is a little off topic, but I want to ask a question to see what you all think.

I have found that I constantly crave new spiritual knowledge.

When I go for so long with out studying some new aspect of the Bible and spirituality, I feel less alive inside.

Does anyone else feel that way?

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Hi friend!

I think that a large group is for praise, singing, and worship. We have the opportunity to offer a tithe. Group prayer. And we may have opportunities to serve.

Small groups are for Bible study and discussion.

That's how I see it anyway. [Smile]

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

I think attending Church is a good thing, in some respects.

I have had a big problem with alot of churches, and I know its the typical excuse, but here are my reasons.

For some reason, I don't know why, I feel that alot of churches today are acting like a business and not a religious house of God.

I feel more close to God when I am on a one on one basis, a three group, or four group, maybe a little more.

In smaller groups you can actually have a discussion on God, and express how each other feels -- really get your questions out there to be answered.

Something that would be harder to do in a larger body.

Also, preaching...

I feel that some churches are growing stagnant -- as in they are constantly preaching the same type of sermon, with no emotion.

Just going through the motions.

I feel that on smaller groups there is more passion and interest.

Even posting here to me is church, as the Bible says: "where ever two or more are gathered in my name, I shall be in the midst of them."

I think what we do here is church, and close groups.

I have just always felt closer to God in a small group than a large body.

Maybe thats what God intends for me in this life.. who knows.

Your thoughts?

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why Should Christians Attend Church?

For believers, there is no substitute for attending church. Besides something that pleases God, it is necessary for a believer’s spiritual well-being. For shut-ins or invalids who aren’t able to go to church, the ministries on radio or TV might be the only kind of fellowship or spiritual nourishment that they get. God certainly understands the circumstances of these people, and recognizes the sincerity of their hearts. However, it is a different matter for those who could attend church but are too lazy, or put other things such as entertainment and amusements before God, or who harbor bitterness or indifference toward other believers.

It is important to attend church for the following reasons:

(1) It is an Expression of our Love for God

Going to church is a visible, tangible expression of our love and worship toward God. It is where we can gather with other believers to publicly bear witness of our faith and trust in God, something that is required of all Christians (Matt. 10:32-33) -- and it is where we can bring Him offerings of praise, thanks, and honor, which are pleasing to Him. The psalmist wrote, “I will declare Your name to My brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will praise You” (Psa. 22:22). People are often motivated toward church attendance for how it will bless themselves, however we should remember that the primary purpose of the corporate gathering is to bring “service” to the Lord as a blessing to Him (Psa. 134:2). Indeed, the Lord is deserving of our time and energy to honor Him with our service of devotion. “You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created” (Rev. 4:11).

(2) It builds up our Spiritual Strength

Receiving the preaching and teaching of the Word of God increases our faith and builds us up spiritually. Every believer knows what it is to face spiritual conflicts to their faith, and must realize the importance of being fed spiritually so that they can overcome the challenges. Paul states that Christians face a wrestling match with the Devil and his evil spiritual forces, and warns that the church must put on spiritual armor for protection, as it will take everything at our disposal to stand (Eph. 6:10-18). How important that we take every opportunity available to receive ministry and strength from God’s Word. “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Rom. 10:17).

(3) It brings a special visitation of the Lord’s Presence

There is the promise of a special visitation of the Lord’s presence whenever two or more gather specifically in the name of Jesus. By implication, this means whenever “Jesus” is the object of gathered prayer, worship, praise, preaching, etc. Even though Jesus resides within the heart of every believer, he honors a gathering in his name by coming in the “midst,” with his power, awareness, and anointing. In such a gathering, Christ is able to do things in hearts that he may not at any other time. The scripture says that God inhabits the praise of His people (Psa. 22:3), and in such an atmosphere the Holy Spirit will often manifest spiritual gifts that minister to the body of Christ. “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them” (Matt. 18:20).

(4) It provides fellowship with other Christians

Gathering together also has compounded importance to the relationship of the Christian brethren. The Bible makes it clear that a right relationship with God requires a “vertical” and “horizontal” alignment — that is, we must have a vertical fellowship with God and a horizontal fellowship with other believers. It is not possible to love God and refuse to love the brethren. If you have a problem loving other Christians, you have a problem in your relationship with God. Scripture warns us that unforgiveness toward others will void God’s forgiveness of our own sins (Matt. 6:15). John wrote, “He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him” (1 John 2:9-10).

One of the most important reasons that we go to church is to practice love toward the brethren in the form of fellowship. The Bible clearly shows that if we have a right relationship with God, we have fellowship with others believers. “But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7). Keeping ourselves in love and harmony with other believers keeps us humble before God so that Christ’s blood can continue to cleanse us from our sins.

(5) It is an act of obedience to God

Not to be forgotten, going to church is also a matter of obeying God’s Word. The writer of the Hebrew epistle tells us not to forsake assembling together, implying that continued absence can lead to willful sin. “And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,” (Heb. 10:24-26). Once again, we are reminded that a great part of the purpose of the gathering is for the consideration of our brethren, coming together to help motivate and encourage one another. This is a responsibility charged to every believer. To reject church attendance, is a rejection of one of the sacred duties of the believer. “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin” (James 4:17).

(6) It provides accountability to spiritual leadership

More strong evidence that proves that we’re to be a part of a church fellowship, is that we’re told to submit to the authority of spiritual leaders (within the boundaries of God’s Word). “Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you” (Heb. 13:17). God designed this system of accountability for the progress and protection of His flock. Obviously, this really isn’t possible unless we are a part of an organized fellowship which has identified elders, pastors, or leaders. It is easy to see that one cannot genuinely be under submission to a TV pastor who has never met you. Nor is it possible to be under submission by visiting a different church each week. The Bible tells us to know them that are over us in the Lord (1 Thes. 5:12). Submission necessitates a commitment and relationship to a local body of believers and to their spiritual leaders.

(7) It combines our spiritual strength in prayer

The Bible indicates that agreement in prayer with other believers has special favor with God. “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven” (Matt. 18:19). There is multiplied strength in the combined faith of God’s people, and it is clear that greater spiritual gains can be realized through corporate prayer and worship. This agrees with how God has historically blessed the union of His people in battle against their enemies. “Five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight; your enemies shall fall by the sword before you” (Lev. 26:8).

(8) It honors the Lord’s Day

The fourth commandment of the law that God gave Moses was to set aside the seventh day of the week, Saturday, as a holy day to the Lord. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy” (Ex. 20:8). This was, and will always remain, the official Sabbath. However, after Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week, Sunday, the early Christians began meeting together on this day as well as with the Jewish community in the synagogues on the Sabbath. History indicates that due to the enmity of the orthodox Jews toward the Christian Jews in their midst, the Jewish Christians were eventually ostracized. And although they were no longer bound to a rigid code of laws (Gal. 3:10-11, Col. 2:16), it is believed that they came to view Sunday as a combined observance of the Sabbath and the resurrection day of Jesus (Acts 20:7, 1 Cor. 16:2). This day of Christian worship came to be called the Lord’s Day (Rev. 1:10), a day to fellowship in celebration of the resurrection, to worship, pray and study the Word together.

Today, the Christian Jew or gentile, is free from the bondage of the old law. The indwelling of God’s spirit has brought a new way for Christians to fulfill the desires of God through His love (Gal. 5:18, Rom. 13:8-10). However, the new covenant does not invalidate the relevance of the ten commandments as they pertained to God’s wishes for His people. As much as it remains God’s desire for man not to kill, steal or commit adultery, God is still very much pleased for believers to honor Him on a day reserved for Him, out of their love for Him and His people.

http://www.victorious.org/whygo.htm

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Does the Bible Say About Church Attendance?

The Bible tells us to meet together as believers and to encourage one another.

Hebrews 10:25
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (NIV)

The reason I encourage Christians to find a good church is because the Bible instructs us to be in relationship with other believers. If we are part of Christ's body, we will recognize our need to fit into the body of believers. The church is the place where we come together to encourage one another as members of Christ's body. Together we fulfill an important purpose on the Earth.

As members of the body of Christ, we belong to each other.

Romans 12:5
... so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. (NIV)

It is actually for our own good that God wants us in fellowship with other believers. We need each other to grow up in the faith, to learn to serve, to love one another, and to practice forgiveness. Though we are individuals, we still belong to one another.

What's at Stake?

When you give up on attending church, what's at stake? Well, to put it in a nutshell: the unity of the body, your own spiritual growth, protection and blessing are all at risk when you're disconnected from the body of Christ.

Christ's body is made of many parts, yet it is still one unified entity.

1 Corinthians 12:12
The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. (NIV)

1 Corinthians 12:14-23
Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. (NIV)

1 Corinthians 12:27
Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. (NIV)

Unity in the body of Christ does not mean total conformity and uniformity. Although maintaining unity in the body is very important, it is also vital to value the unique qualities that make each of us an individual "part" of the body. Both aspects, unity and individuality, deserve emphasis and appreciation. This makes for a healthy church body, when we remember that Christ is our common denominator. He makes us one.

Spiritual Growth

We develop the character of Christ through bearing with one another in the body of Christ.

Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. (NIV)

How else will we grow spiritually unless we interact with other believers? We learn humility, gentleness and patience, developing the character of Christ as we relate within the body of Christ.

In the body of Christ we exercise our spiritual gifts to serve and minister to one another.

1 Peter 4:10
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. (NIV)

1 Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (NIV)

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. (NIV)

We will discover a satisfying sense of fulfillment when we begin to carry out our purpose in the body of Christ. We are the ones who miss out on all the blessings of God and the gifts of our "family members," if we choose not to be a part of Christ's body.

Protection & Blessing

Our leaders in the body of Christ offer spiritual protection.

1 Peter 5:1-4
To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder ... Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. (NIV)

Hebrews 13:17
Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you. (NIV)

God has placed us into the body of Christ for our own protection and blessing. Just like every earthly family, it's not always fun. We don't always have warm and fuzzy feelings in the body. There are difficult and unlovely moments as we grow together as a family, but there are also blessings that we will never experience unless we become relational and connected in the body of Christ.

Need One More Reason to Go to Church?

Jesus went to church as a regular practice. Luke 4:16 says, "He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom." (NIV)

It was his custom—his regular practice—to go to church. The Message Bible puts it like this, "As he always did on the Sabbath, he went to the meeting place." If Jesus made it a priority to meet together with other believers, shouldn't we, as his followers, do so also?

Resolution

So, if you are disillusioned with church, perhaps the problem is not "church in general," but rather the type of churches you have experienced thus far. Have you done an exhaustive search to find a good church? Perhaps you have never attended a healthy, balanced Christian church? They really do exist. I would encourage you not to give up, but continue to search for a Christ-centered, biblically-balanced church. But as you search, remember also, churches are imperfect. They are full of flawed people. However, we can't let other people's mistakes keep us from a genuine relationship with God and all of the blessings he has planned for us as we relate within his body.

http://christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/i/churchattendanc.htm

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement