Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Barabbas v Jesus

Author Topic: Barabbas v Jesus
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Hi, Bloodbought, I was interested in this statemenet of yours
quote:
Jesus did not die for the sin of Barabbas.
I thought that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world?

1 John 2:2
And He is the propitiation for our sins; and not for our sins only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

So Jesus did die for the sins of Barabbas, didn't Jesus?

love, Eden

Hi Friend, Jesus death gave every human the opportunity to accept his sacrafice, not only by their words but by their actions. Those who walk in opposition of the will of God arent accepting the sacrafice, now maybe they are just lied to, or they dont care to take the time to learn the will of God and apply it to their everyday life. Jesus lived to do the will of God, and it is a protection for all to do the same, There are many things in this world God hates and is coming to destroy. And yet too many stray left or right off the narrow path, either by ignorance or lies. Its worth every effort on our parts for this 70-95 years of life persay to do our utmost, our whole heart, mind, soul. 24/7 The prize is eternal life. We all need to put those on a scale and see if living for now is worth risking eternal life.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden said,

quote:

And He is the propitiation for our sins; and not for our sins only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

It depends on how you view the extent of the atonement. When it says He is the propitiation for the sins of the whole world. Is that everyone without exception, or is it Christ’s whole kingdom world of believers?

Are the sins of every single person in the whole world imputed to Christ? If so, why do some go to hell?

Jesus said,
As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep . John 10:15

Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand , but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Seems like He only laid down His life for the whole world of believers, which He calls sheep.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MentorsRiddle:
I miss spelled his name Barabbas

I'm horrible at spelling
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whare did that spell chack go?

LOL
[Big Grin]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MentorsRiddle:

I'm horrible at spelling [Smile]

Whare did that spell chack go?
Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MentorsRiddle wrote
quote:
We have a choice to make in this life -- it's too bad that some people choose the wrong path to follow.
Well might we say with the Bible that most people choose the wrong path to follow:

Matthew 7:13
Enter in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many there be who go in thereat.

Not "some people choose the wrong path" but "many people choose the wrong path", Amen?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Bloodbought, I was interested in this statemenet of yours
quote:
Jesus did not die for the sin of Barabbas.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jesus son of the father", as a false savior

GOOD TOPIC BLOODBOUGHT

According to early Greek texts, Barabbas' full name was Jesus Barabbas . Later texts shorten his name to just Barabbas.

Abba has been found as a personal name in a First Century burial at Giv'at ja-Mivtar, and Abba also appears as a personal name frequently in the Gemara section of the Talmud, dating from AD 200-400. These findings support "Barabbas" being used to indicate the son of a person named Abba.

Abba means "father" in Aramaic, and appears both translated and untranslated in the Gospels. A translation of Bar-Abbas would be son of the father.

Jesus often referred to God as "father", and Jesus' use of the Aramaic word Abba survives untranslated in Mark 14:36 (in most English translations).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barabbas

What else do we know about Barabbas? He was a political animal who believed in self-redemption, not in redemption through a messiah. The Bible calls him an insurrectionist, using a Greek word that means one who rises up against the existing authority and institutions--a seditionist, in other words. Barabbas had no interest in trusting in the coming Messiah. He wanted to become the savior of the Jewish people and attempted to liberate them from the yoke of Rome through political means.

Jesus Barabbas was saved by Jesus, at least physically. And only Barabbas can say, "Jesus physically died in my place." Barabbas understood something of substitutionary atonement, at least in a physical sense. But one day Jesus Christ is coming and Pilate will judged by him. Jesus Christ is the Judge of all the earth, and he said he is coming again, as we read in Matthew 26:64: "'Yes, it is as you say,' Jesus replied. 'But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.'"

So Pilate will be judged by Jesus. The Sanhedrin will be judged by him. The crowd will be judged by him. Jesus Barabbas will be judged by him. Every sinner who looks to false saviors and self-redemption will be judged by him. Why? Every sinner who fails to confess Jesus Christ is already condemned, the Bible says.

http://www.gracevalley.org/sermon_trans/Jesus_or_Barabbas.html

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm horrible at spelling [Smile]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

quote:
The crowd had their own idea of salvation...
Now, much like then, many people have their own idea of slavation -- but that doesn't mean that they will receive it.

The only way that a person can be saved is by beleiving that Jesus Christ is the one true Son of God, and that he died for our sins so that we would be forgiven.

Barabus and Jesus Christ were two opposing representations of two different ways of life, just like you said in your post above.

We, as a people and as individuals, can choose life, who is Jesus, or we can choose death, which is represented by Barabus.

We have a choice to make in this life -- it's too bad that some people choose the wrong path to follow.

Thanks for posting.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Some view Barabbas, as a type of the sinner being released by the death of Jesus Christ. When we read the text carefully, we find that this is not an accurate analogy. The truth is that, Barabbas, a notable prisoner, was the choice of the crowd, not the choice of Jesus. Jesus had no contact with Barabbas nor had Barabbas any contact with Jesus. They are two opposing agents. Barabbas is a representative of sin and the kingdom of this world, and this kingdom is entered through human efforts. Jesus is a representative of cleansing and the kingdom of God, which we enter in meekness through faith.

The crowd chose sin, and therefore Jesus had to die because of sin. Jesus did not die for the sin of Barabbas. Though the world set him free, Jesus did not. There is no record that Barabbas did either repent or believe, and yet he was released from his cell, not by Jesus but by the crowd. The crowd chose the most notorious sinner, and the representative of sin was brought out into the open, and sin and the depravity and wickedness of the human heart was exposed for what it is. When the crowd began to call for the release of Barabbas and the crucifixion of Jesus, not even one dared to open their mouth in favour of Jesus because of fear.

Why did the majority vote for Barabbas? The god of this world was more attractive to them than what Jesus stood for. They wanted power, and they wanted it now. Many are still choosing what Barabbas represents. False prophets are persuading Multitudes to vote for power now, riches now, fame now and deceive them through easy-believism.

The crowd had their own idea of salvation, and wanted to save Barabbas because they probably believed that his release would save them from being ruled by Jesus who they did not want as their king, but that salvation was a worldly salvation that would only last for a season. Jesus is the representative of cleansing, and He exposed the penalty for sin on the middle cross. Jesus physical death was depicting Barabbas’s spiritual death because of sin. Every person who ever lived has chosen the one called Barabbas the representative of sin and the kingdom of this world.

When Jesus was on the cross He said these first amazing words. “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” By the grace and mercy of God, the elect will choose the one called Christ the representative of cleansing and the kingdom of God.

Jesus said, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. John 18:36.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement