Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Appearance

Author Topic: Appearance
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's our job to walk through a crowd and determine who's good and who's bad. But the people we meet can certainly appear to be other than they are.

Isaiah 53:3 (NKJV)

He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.

John 11:35 (NKJV)

Jesus wept.

Eden,

Even Jesus was unhappy at times. One of the things that makes me sad is when a person pretends to be a friend but really just wants to hurt you. He gives the appearance of being a friend, but he's actually an enemy. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

-

We are to love God above all, and love others as ourselves. Not just pretend, but really care. Even our enemies.

Matthew 7:12 (NLT)

Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Carol Swenson, I wanted to comment on Test No. 3,
quote:
(3) Is their life-style consistent with biblical morality (Matthew 12:33-37)?
Matthew 13
33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

34 O generation of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart brings forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.

36 But I say to you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

37 For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned

Isaiah 33:15
He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly; he who despises the gain of oppressions, who keeps his hands from holding bribes, who stops his ears from hearing of blood, and who shuts his eyes from seeing evil.

Jeremiah 6
10 To whom shall I speak and give warning, that they may hear? Behold, their ear is uncircumcised and they cannot listen: behold, the word of the LORD is to them a reproach; they have no delight in it.

Jeremiah 9
24 But let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, says the LORD.

So to repea Test No. 3:
quote:
Making the tree right means turning from doing wickedness to doing that which iis right and pleasing to the LORD.

But Carol Swenson, is there any man or woman, except Jesus, who can have a lifestyle of morality which fulfills the whole law? No.

There are numerous Christians who go see the world's movies and still read the world's books, so they are not very sanctified, but they can still be saved:

1 Corinthians 3
11 For other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14 And if any man's work abide which he has built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15 But if any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

When I walk among crowds, it is impossible to determine who is a Christian in the crowd, and who is not. For beingt a Christian is not a matter of appearance, but a matter of believing that Jesus died for me. That may not make me look that much different, although ideally it should make me look happier. But when the storms of life come, I can still be unhappy; how about you?

love, eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
APPEARANCE (Exterior, Image, Impression)

How can we avoid judging only by appearance?

BIBLE READING: 1 Samuel 16:1-13

KEY BIBLE VERSE: The Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7, NIV)

Remember that God looks beyond appearance. Saul was tall and handsome; he was an impressive looking man. Samuel may have been trying to find someone who looked like Saul to be Israel’s next king, but God warned him against judging by appearance alone. When people judge by outward appearance, they may overlook individuals who lack the particular physical qualities society currently admires. But appearance doesn’t reveal what people are really like or their true value.

Fortunately, God judges by faith and character, not appearances. And because only God can see on the inside, only he can accurately judge people. Most people spend hours each week maintaining their outward appearance; they should do even more to develop their inner character. While everyone can see your face, only you and God know what your heart really looks like. Which is the more attractive part of you?

BIBLE READING: Matthew 9:9-12

KEY BIBLE VERSE: On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.” (Matthew 9:12, NIV)

Try to see the world from God’s point of view. The Pharisees constantly tried to trap Jesus, and they thought his association with these “lowlifes” was the perfect opportunity. They were more concerned with their own appearance of holiness than with helping people, with criticism than encouragement, with outward respectability than practical help. But God is concerned for all people, including the sinful and hurting ones. The Christian life is not a popularity contest! Following Jesus’ example, we should share the gospel with the poor, immoral, lonely, and outcast, not just the rich, moral, popular, and powerful.

BIBLE READING: Matthew 15:1-20

KEY BIBLE VERSE: These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. (Matthew 15:8, NIV)

Try to see ourselves from God’s point of view. We work hard to keep our outward appearance attractive, but what is in our hearts is even more important. The way we are deep down (where others can’t see) matters much to God. What are you like inside? When people become Christians, God makes them different on the inside. He will continue the change process inside them if they only ask. God wants us to have healthy thoughts and motives, not just healthy food and good exercise.

BIBLE READING: 2 Corinthians 11:1-15

KEY BIBLE VERSE: For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:13, NIV)

Beware of appearances. Satan and his servants can deceive us by appearing attractive, good, and moral. Many unsuspecting people follow smooth-talking, Bible-quoting leaders into cults that alienate them from their families and practice immorality and deceit. Don’t be fooled by external appearances. Our impressions alone are not an accurate indicator of who is or isn’t a true follower of Christ ; so it helps to ask these questions:

(1) Do their teachings confirm Scripture (Acts 17:11)?

(2) Do the teachers affirm and proclaim that Jesus Christ is God who came into the world as a man to save people from their sins (1 John 4:1-3)?

(The Handbook of Bible Application)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement