Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Born Again Christian

Author Topic: Born Again Christian
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TB125 [thumbsup2]

We do have a seal though.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget that the term "Christian" was the early name given to those who believed in Jesus and were trying to proclaim that he had risen from the dead and was the Lord. But this label or any such label really doesn't certify that anyone is saved or even "born again". The only certification of that status must come from the Holy Spirit, and he doesn't do that with labels. Jesus knows his "flock". The "bridegroom" knows his "bride". He doesn't need any labels to mark those who are his!

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...is really not a Christian, eventhough he is "born into a Christian family".

Amen, this is the point...not really a Christian, but I get where you are coming from Eden, thanks for makng that clear...most call these nominal Christians but as you imply the chances are good most of them are not saved...this is why it is so imperative we share with them

Brother Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I appreciate the general gist of the Topic, I do tend to distinguish between a "bornagain" Christian and a "not-bornagain" Christian.

A "not-bornagain" Christian is someone who was probably "born in a Christian family but has never personally gone through the experience of "I am a sinner" and "Jesus died for my sins" and "because He is coming again, I need to get saved before He comes or before I die", kind of experience. Such a Christian is really not a Christian, eventhough he is "born into a Christian family".

A "bornagain" Christian on the other hand is someone who HAS personally gone through the experience of "I am a sinner" and "Jesus died for my sins" and "because He is coming again, I need to get saved before He comes or before I die", kind of experience. This is a truly "bornagain" Christian.

So I do ask people, "are you a bornagain type of Christian"?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[pound]
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gar-ha-ha! LOL! and all that e-stuff expressing humor...no really it was funny...maybe even Hillary-ous!

Did you know that when Geo.dubya was leaving New Orleans they were at the airport and this guy with a white rob, long hair a beard and a long staff was standing in front of him...he swore it was Moses but couldn't believe his own eyes. So he turned and said to the guy

"Excuse me sir" and the guy did not even flinch. so he said it a little louder..."ER EXCUSE ME... SIR...HELLO!" and still the guy would not even respond

So he politely placed his hand on the old mans shoulder and slightly turning him said "Sir I am the President of these United States and I have to know whether or not you are Moses..."

Thge guy just looked and said nothing...so finally G dubya says "You Know who I am so please whats going on, why the heck won't you at least answer me?"

The old man darted sharply and with an angry look blurts out "Because the last time I talked to a bush I had to wander in the desert 40 years!"

The peace of the Lord be with you Carol

Brother Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand. Like a Christian-Christian, or a born again-born again, a born again Christian is a redundancy. There are no Christians who are not born again. No unbelieving believers. No dark lights or sainted sinners (or other oxymorons).

Paul, I am not making light of your topic. It's a good topic, and I'm glad you brought out the fact that "born again Christian" is used all too often.

If I may, though, I'd like to share this bit of humor. If you don't like it then I'll delete it ASAP.

“Oxymoron? I think I wash my clothes with that”
~ George W Bush on Oxymorons

Chemical Formula:

O3H42Moron

A compound obtained when you get a moron to oxidise. Oxymorons can, when inhaled in large enough doses, cause idiocy in a large group of people to spread very quickly.

This tends to happen during elections, scientific conventions, or on nightclub dancefloors.

If you find yourself caught up with an oxymoron, simply politely scream at them to stop. After that, the rest is even more of a piece of cake: as necessary:

>> In a dignified manner, scream bloody murder.
>> Nonviolently shake the oxymoron until passed out.
>> To take the high road and retain all of your intelligence, become the oxymoron.
>> As a last resort, use the first idea that came to your mind.

Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Yes brothers and sisters all this is right and good but what I am saying is the only Christians ARE those people who have been born again and whoever has not been born again are not Christians though they may bare that label or claim that name for themselves (like the Apple tree).

There are no non-born again Christians only people for these erroneous reasons thinking they are Christians. But to be Christian means to be born again (of the Holy Spirit) there are not one group of "born agains" and another of not "born agains".

You are either a Christian or not, regardless of what you may call yourself (again, like the apple tree analogy), and He knows them that are His. So born again Christian is a theologically manufactured redundancy. It like saying you are a Chistian Christian as opposed to non-Christian Christians which of course does not exist.

As I am sure you all agree, we are not a club you join like the boy scouts or the lodge of the grand poobah, we are the children of the living God. They all have only the temporal human nature but we have two natures...one temporal and the other eternal...they have influence and authorities delegated in only the temporal...we have infuence and authorities delegated in two realms...they have recieved only temporal power but besides this we have recieved power from on high...they are subject to the principalities, powers, and rulers of wickedness in hih places but they are subject to us (that is if we know whose we are).

Now I know you are all born of His Spirit but does the world know you are the children of God? The whole of Creation groans for the revealing of such. You have power in two realms, non-Christians (having no Spirit re-birth)have no such power (whether they attend a Church or not).

Do you see how I mean the two terms need not be combined, "born again" and "Christian"? They mean the exact same thing.

Love in Christ,

Brother Paul

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul [thumbsup2] Betty [thumbsup2]

A person cannot understand the Bible without the presence of the Author, and God is the Author. When we become born-again, God's Holy Spirit comes into us (1st Corinthians 3:16), never to leave (Hebrews 13:5), and we will understand many new things for the first time in our life...

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." —2nd Corinthians 5:17

quote:
You are known by your fruits...a question once was asked...if you were arrested for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?

What a good question!

As you said in the "God is shouting" thread, works don't save us, but when we are born again, there will be evidence of good works.

Apples don't make a tree an apple tree. We can't glue apples on it and say, "See? Here's proof this is an apple tree!"

But if it is an apple tree, then it will grow and mature and eventually have apples.  -

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jhn 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Jesus said we must be born again.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the reason the term born again is important, is that there are those who consider themselves Christian but not born again. They think they are Christian because their mom and dad were Christian are because they are good people. Anyone who is not born again is not a Christian, but some people think they are Christians and are not born again.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Born again Christian is a popularized redundancy created by ministries trying to set their group apart from all other Christians. It is a dis-unifying term as it allows or leaves some Christians with the idea they have something more or special that other Christians do not have.

The truth is, that all who are truly in Christ are born again and some of the "born agains" are decieved and or not really of us. Oh, they said the words and maybe took a bath, but the fruit which grows later shows they were tares all along.

You must be born again to be a Christian, the two terms are synonomous...there is no such thing as a real Christian who is not born of God. Someone who thinks they are a Christian that is not born again is decieved and those who think they are born again just because they said a sinners prayer in a church or at a revival may well have been led astray.

There are real genuine children of God within all the denominations (none of which Christ started)and some who do not attend any specific Church. If the Spirit of Christ is not in you you are not His...if you are His, you are born again.

Christian = born again

Born again = Christian

Whether you are a Baptist, Pentacostal, Evangelical, Roman Catholic, or Orthodox, if you have truly believed (pisteuo = trusted in, relied upon and cleaved to Christ and His finished work...the verb form of the noun pistis rendered faith)and grow in obedience showing fruit of the Spirit and good works He foreordained for you to do, you are saved!

Truly I tell you born again and Christian are the same thing and "born again Christian" is an unfortunate popularized redundancy.

I know we buy the label but it is associated with certain politicizations (pardon my invention of a term) that sometimes give us a bad name and divides the body of Christ.

You are known by your fruits...a question once was asked...if you were arrested for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?

I pray for myself and all of you that there would be...

thoughts?

Brother Paul

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement