Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Is it automatic or should I ask Jesus every day "to please instruct me"

Author Topic: Is it automatic or should I ask Jesus every day "to please instruct me"
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
I look at your question from a couple angles.

1st angle
We do have an instruction manual(the Holy Scriptures) given to us pertaining to Gods will. The specific doctrine that we(followers of Jesus) hold to is the gospel teaching of Jesus. These gospel teachings are the foundation that all New Testament writers stand on.

2nd angle
I also believe that we need to rely on the help of the Holy Spirit for individual-situation-specific guidance. Consider the lives of the apostles. They all held to the same doctrine, but they were all being actively lead(by the Holy Spirit) in unique(individual-situation-specific) ways.

All in all, I agree with you Eden.......I do not believe receiving Jesus instruction is "automatic" any more than I believe that our sanctification is automatic. We must be diligent(in our faith) to keep our lives oriented towards God and His will.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We must SUBMIT to His guidance.
[thumbsup2]

as His children that He loves so greatly it is hard to comprehend...and knowing He has promised to chasten when we disobey...His heart is to lead and guide into the path of righteousness...its just up to us to submit...

wisdom is even calling continually to the lost....

20Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

21She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,

22How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

23Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what is stated here, we do have the tendency to lean on our own understanding...and especially when in high pressure situations, we try to take over and gain control.

We must SUBMIT to His guidance.

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does jesus automatically start "instructing me and teaching me which way I should go and guiding me with His eye" or do I need to ask the Lord Jesus EVERY DAY "to please instruct me and teach me and guide me today"?

The Bible says in Psalm 32:8 that, once we are saved, that the Lord Jesus will "instruct us and teach us which way we should go, and He will guide us with His eye".

Psalm 32
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go, and I will guide you with My eye.

My question is, once a person is saved, does the Lord Jesus in heaven AUTOMATICALLY BEGIN to "instruct the saved person and BEGIN to teach the saved person in the way he should go" and will the Lord Jesus AUTOMATICALLY BEGIN "guiding the saved person with His eye" ...

OR, does a saved Christian have to "ask the Lord Jesus each waking day to PLEASE instruct him and teach him and guide him"?

Because, here is the problem, a saved Christian CAN STILL CONTINUE TO LEAN ON HIS OWN UNDERSTANDING after he is saved, and if a saved Christian CONTINUES TO LEAN ON HIS OWN UNDERSTANDING after he is saved, THEN the Lord Jesus in heaven CANNOT "instruct him and teach him which way he should go and guide him with His eye", BECAUSE the saved Christian is STILL LEANING ON HIS OWN UNDERSTANDING.

To "lean on one's own understanding" in my opinion means to "make decisions on the data gathered by our 5 senses". And even SAVED Christians can "continue to lean their own understanding", meaning they "continue to make their own decisions".

And the problem is, IT'S EITHER-OR. Either the saved Christian is still leaning on his own understanding, OR the saved Christian is asking the Lord Jesus to "instruct him and teach him which way he should go and guide him with His eye". IT CANNOT BE BOTH.

So to me, that means that a saved Christian must say to the Risen and Living Lord Jesus in heaven EVERY DAY, "Lord Jesus, pleas instruct me and teach me which way I should go and guide me with Your eye", and "I won't lean on my own understanding" but "by faith I will assume (because Your Word says You want to do this) that YOU ARE DOING IT" and I will "be still" and "wait on the Lord", etc.

In other words, it cannot be automatic because the SAVED Christian CAN STILL CONTINUE to "make his decisions on the basis of the data gathered by his 5 senses". And when a saved Christian PERSISTS in doing that (and NUMEROUS Christians are "still leaning on their own understanding"), the Lord Jesus in heaven CANNOT "instruct him and CANNOTteach him which way he should go and CANNOT guide him with His eye". Because it is EITHER-OR.

So the Lord Jesus does NOT AUTOMATICALLY START INSTRTUCTING saved Christians. The Lord Jesus can ONLY INSTRUCT those saved Christians who are willing to "no longer lean on their own understanding". So I think we should pray EACH DAY when we wake up, "Lord, TODAY instruct me and teach me and guide me, and I will NOT lean on my own understanding TODAY, and I will believe BY FAITH (because in Psalm 32:8 You said You would do it) that You are really instructing me and teaching me which way I should go at any given moment and You WILL guide me with Your eye", thank You, Living Lord Jesus in heaven.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement