Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Holy Spirit Provides Access To God

Author Topic: The Holy Spirit Provides Access To God
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE HOLY SPIRIT PROVIDES ACCESS TO GOD

Access to God implies intimacy with God. That means believers can approach God on a personal basis without fear of rejection.

A. The Significance of Access to God

God is the provider of all spiritual resources. Because we as Christians live on a spiritual level, our deepest needs can't be satisfied by natural commodities. Only God can do that and He's available to us through the Holy Spirit.

B. The Illustration of Access to God

Paul said that God sent Christ "that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!' Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God... you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God" (Gal. 4:5 9).

We are sons of God, and sonship involves access and intimacy. The phrase "Abba! Father!" (v. 6) is a term of endearment. "Abba" can be translated "Papa" or "Daddy." It signifies family, privilege, love, and approachability. It's what the writer of Hebrews had in mind when he said, "Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith" (Heb. 10:22).

Paul emphasizes the same truth in Romans 8:14 16: "All who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, 'Abba! Father!' The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God."

C. The Means of Access to God

1. From a negative perspective

Through prayer we have direct access to God. He's always available and approachable but many Christians look elsewhere for their resources. Often they seem willing to substitute almost anything for prayer. That might be understandable if God wasn't accessible, but He is. The problem is their apparent unwillingness to pray with intensity and wrestle with God over the issues of life.

2. From a positive perspective

a. Psalm 16:11 -- The psalmist wrote, "Thou wilt make known to me the path of life; in Thy presence is fullness of joy; in Thy right hand there are pleasures forever." If you want joy, pleasure, and insights into life, they are found in His presence. We needn't look elsewhere.

b. Psalm 27:4 -- David said, "One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to meditate in His temple." That's a focused prayer that reflects David's longing to be in God's presence.

c. Psalm 42:1 3, 5 7, 9 10 -- The psalmist cried out to God, saying, "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for Thee, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; when shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my food day and night.... Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me?... My soul is in despair within me.... All Thy breakers and Thy waves have rolled over me.... I will say to God my rock, 'Why hast Thou forgotten me?' . . Why are you in despair, O my soul?" Here's a man who was obviously in deep despair. Note that his solution was to seek after God.

d. Psalm 73:25 26 -- Asaph said, "Whom have I in heaven but Thee? And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth" (v. 25). He understood that earthly resources can't satisfy spiritual needs.

When Christians experience spiritual defeat it's often because they've forgotten that God alone is the source of spiritual power. Various Christian programs, seminars, and counseling techniques may be helpful to a point, but they can't replace the spiritual power that comes from prolonged periods of deep communion with the living God. That's our lifeline and our true source of strength.

Asaph looked to God alone for his spiritual strength. In verse 26 he says, "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Every believer can have that confidence because God's strength is available through the Holy Spirit. What a tremendous promise!

D. The Benefits of Access to God

1. We have fellowship with God

A Christian is someone who loves God (Matt. 22:37). As lovers of God we should long for fellowship and communion with Him. As we pursue that fellowship, we experience the freshness and exhilaration only He can give to our spirits, and we receive all the provisions we need for a healthy, victorious Christian life.

I've found that most people who come to me for counseling simply need a sympathetic ear and an encouraging word from Scripture. I understand the need to bear one another's burdens (Gal. 6:2) and am happy to share in that ministry, but also think we can short circuit the Spirit's ministry by turning to men before we turn to God. If someone feels better by simply talking to me, imagine how they would feel if they talked to God!

2. We have resources for every need

Jesus said, "Give us this day our daily bread.... Do not lead us into temptation" (Matt. 6:11, 13). Paul said, "My God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus" (Phil 4:19). God can meet every human need.

3. We have wisdom for every circumstance

James said, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him" (James 1:5).

We must never try to perfect with the systems of man what was begun by the Spirit of God. Such efforts are unnecessary and fruitless because we have access to God Himself, who graciously gives us all the resources and wisdom we need to live according to His will.

John MacArthur
http://www.biblebb.com/files/mac/sg90-31.htm

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement