Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » What Does It Mean To Have A "Spirit-Filled Life"

Author Topic: What Does It Mean To Have A "Spirit-Filled Life"
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, fine, so I have pulled back to just saying again, "Lord, have mercy on me a sinner", except that I now add, "Lord, have mercy on me a sinner, and please guide me with Your eye, Amen". As they say at McDonalds, its a "combo" prayer that should work well.

Also, I have had this pain in my right side between my liver and my navel, and I was prayer, "Lord, please heal me", but in the last few days I changed that prayer to, "Lord, I thank You that healing was included in the salvation package, Amen", and I'm going to see if THAT one has any results. It's probably a more correct prayer since God has already DONE IT ALL, and we only really need to THANK HIM FOR IT.

love, Eden the merchant of Chilmad ("where's dat?")

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
I give up (sigh) ... it's a bit discouraging that just because I'm proposing this or that about the Holy Spirit and the Lord in heaven guiding us, etc., that rightaway it causes some to post Topics of "beware of false teachers" and "wolf in sheep's clothing", etc., which I can sense are indirectly aimed at me. Oh well ... Jesus said, "be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world", I'll ride with that one for a while ...

love, Eden

These posts are very much in favor of Christ, and opposed to Satan and false doctrine. If you sense they are indirectly aimed at you, then you shouldn't. Instead, help us to warn seekers and new Christians away from cults and false doctrine.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi The Don [wave3]

Welcome to the Christian BBS.

I look forward to hearing more from you about God's Word and the Holy Spirit, and other topics as well.

God bless you and all your family.

Carol

P.S. Do you prefer to be called 'The Don' or 'Don'?

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Don
First Post
Member # 7791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The_Don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know God's Word says that the Holy Spirit is His down payment to us. That is so cool and He is marking us so He will know who to pick up on that DAY. What fun. Oh one other thing you are all very good and well informed. I like this SITE!

Oh one other thing there is no mystery regarding the work of the Holy Spirit. You are all wonderful... This is refreshing. Don

Posts: 1 | From: The OC | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give up (sigh) ... it's a bit discouraging that just because I'm proposing this or that about the Holy Spirit and the Lord in heaven guiding us, etc., that rightaway it causes some to post Topics of "beware of false teachers" and "wolf in sheep's clothing", etc., which I can sense are indirectly aimed at me. Oh well ... Jesus said, "be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world", I'll ride with that one for a while ...

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Carol.

I usually type my posts in Microsoft Word, so I can be sure I don't have anything spelled wrong.

Sometimes I just don't care if my words are spelled wrong and just hit reply, hehehe.

But I always spell "toung" wrong and had to make fun of myself for it.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word Web is a free download. As you type on this message board it will underline in red anything that is misspelled. Then you can right-click on the word and get a list of correct spellings. Word Web is also a dictionary and more.

http://download.cnet.com/WordWeb/3000-2279_4-10003201.html?part=dl-WordWeb&subj=dl&tag=button

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish the Lord would have blessed me with the spirit of discernment concerning spelling, hehehe.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tung

Good post!

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

P.S. I realize in retrospect that I miss-spelled Tongues twice. LOL.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

We must test the spirits and we also must look at the fruits of one's labour.

Is their frutits good for eating or do they rot and stink?

I can say that I am lead by the Holy Spirit, yet am not.

Likewise, I can also say that I can speak in toungs - and may actually beleive I am speaking in toungs - yet I am being deceived.

Jesus Christ, who is God, has given us a mind to rationalize with and think with.

Should we take this gift for granted? No, absolutley not!

We must use our minds - being stead fast in our rightious judgement - determining what is of the spirit and of the enemy.

I beleive to look at the fruits of ones labour will tell instantly if they are filled of the Holy Spirit or if no light dwells within them.

God-Bless & Great post.

~Matt

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Does it Mean to Have a "Spirit-filled Life"
By Rev. Sam Harris

I hear so many Christians talking about "living" for God and "the Spirit leading me," who are self-oriented in their lives. They seem to glory in their "spirit-filled lives." The Bible warns us that Satan can imitate the Holy Spirit (2 Cor. 11:12-15). How do you deal with people who may be under this influence?

First, a little background….

When I accept Jesus as my Savior, I am confessing my sins and asking Him to cleanse my heart and come and live in my life. When I invite Him to live in my life, I am asking Him to be Lord of my life. In asking Him to be Lord of my life, I am asking that He direct my life through the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life. Jesus reminds us in John 16:13 that "when He, the Spirit of Truth (the Holy Spirit) comes, He will guide you into all truth…." That "truth" is only found in God’s Word. The Holy Spirit will never tell us to do anything that is contrary to God’s Word!

When you accept Jesus as your Savior and Lord, you become a "spirit-filled Christian." That is to say, He comes to live in you and desires to lead you into a greater knowledge, understanding, and commitment to God’s truth as written in His Word. The role of the Holy Spirit is to point you to Jesus.

The Holy Spirit imparts various "gifts" to you as recorded in 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4, etc. As a Christian, we are to bear fruit (John 15:1-11; Galatians 5:22-25). The "gifts" can be counterfeited by Satan (2 Cor. 11:13-15), but not "the fruit of the Spirit."

I am not to judge another person’s relationship with the Lord, but I believe that we can be "fruit inspectors." In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus tells us to "be aware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits" (Matthew 7:15-16). Not only will you know people by the "bad fruit," but you will also know them by their "good fruit" of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. It will be evident not only on Sunday, but through the rest of the week!

How do you deal with such people under this influence?

1. It is important to pray for such people that God would reveal His truth to them. The "gifts" are important for the building up of the kingdom (Eph. 4:11-13), but the emphasis should be on the Giver.

2. Galatians 6:1 is an important verse. "Brethren, even if a man (or woman) is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, lest you too be tempted." "Trespass" not only is any sin, but it can also include any "spiritual offense" that is leading others astray.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement