Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Partakers Of The Divine Nature

Author Topic: Partakers Of The Divine Nature
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
youareagoodfriend
 -

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol, you always give us such wonderful posts.

I really enjoied this post a great deal. I love learning about the sin nature and the divine nature, which defeats the sin nature.

Thanks so much for posting this [Smile]

God Bless

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol Swenson wrote
quote:
Certainly, then, we should desire to be partakers of the divine nature. The "divine nature" is simply God-likeness.
No, the divine nature is the Holy Spirit inside of us:

2 Corinthians 4:7
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

When we begin to implement what Jesus counsels we do through the Holy Spirit, then we implement the "divine nature". This divine nature is not ours, but is Jesus's divine nature.

When we stop implementing our sinful Adam and Eve nature, i.e., when we cease from our own works and when we decrease so that He can increase, then if by the will of the soul we implement the counsel of Jesus, we wil show forth the "divine nature", i.e., we will display the "mind of Christ", not because it is OUR mind but because it is Jesus's mind.

So Carol Swenson wrote
quote:
Certainly, then, we should desire to be partakers of the divine nature. The "divine nature" is simply God-likeness.
It is not that we Adam-and-Eve humans become "God-like" but it is Jesus who IS God who talks through us IF we implement what Jesus counseled to do by way of the Holy Spirit in side of us.

2 Corinthians 4:7
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that excellency of the power may be of God and not of us.

John 3:30
He must increase, but I must decrease.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clap2]

John 3
1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Partakers Of The Divine Nature

2 Peter 1 (NASB)

4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.

5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence , in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,

6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,

7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.

Sometimes, to excuse a fault or transgression, people rationalize, "Well, that's just human nature." Actually different people have varying natures. Some people, vile sinners, have the nature of the devil (John 8:44). Others are so crudely rebellious in their actions they have the nature of "brute beasts." (2 Peter 2:12).

But, if we are to receive God's blessings in His Son, we must be "partakers of the divine nature." (2 Peter 1:4,10-11).

How Can We Become Partakers of the Divine Nature?

The apostle Peter answers this inquiry in 2 Peter 1:2-11. He introduces his remarks by reminding us of the wonderful blessings that are ours if we do share the divine nature. By having this nature we now receive such blessings as "Grace," "Peace," and "all things that pertain to life and godliness." (2 Peter 1:2-3).

In short, we receive "every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places" as our present reward (Ephesians 1:3). Not only this, "exceedingly great and precious promises" (2 Peter 1:4) await us in the future eternal life. (Titus 1:2).

Certainly, then, we should desire to be partakers of the divine nature.

The "divine nature" is simply God-likeness. In one sense all men, even the worst of sinners, are like God. "God created man in his own image." (Genesis 1:27) In this sense, the divine nature is unconditionally possessed by all of Adam's descendants, regardless of race or sex.

But the "divine nature" of our study is conditional. It consists of "the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth." (Ephesians 4:24, NASB). "Righteousness" is the state of being right under law, not guilty. "Holiness of truth" is separation from sin and consecration to God's service. Our character becomes like the very moral nature of God.

The Two Processes

How do we obtain this God-like character? Peter mentions two great processes.

First, we must escape "the corruption that is in the world through lust." (2 Peter 1:4)

"Corruption," i.e., "decay," is the consequence of "the world." The term "world" here refers to sin and its allurements (cf. 1 John 2:15-17). We are led into this corruption through lust, i.e., evil desires.

How do we make our escape? Two terms are used in 2 Peter 1:2-3 to indicate the means of our deliverance. They are "knowledge" (used twice) and "power." The two words are here interchangeable. Without a knowledge of the first principles of God's will one cannot be saved (John 6:44-45), for the Gospel is "the power of God to salvation." (Romans 1:16) Thus, we escape "the corruption that is in the world through lust" by faith in and obedience to the Gospel (Galatians 3:26-27); by knowing Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

Obtaining God-like character does not end here, though. We must still develop righteousness and holiness by "giving all diligence," i.e., making every effort, to add the seven qualities of character listed in 2 Peter l:5-7. Thus, the second process in acquiring the divine nature is composed of seven steps.

The Seven Steps

Actually, eight qualities are mentioned in 2 Peter 1:5-7, but one, faith, is assumed on the part of the Christian as already a part of his life, for ".... without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11:6)

But to our faith we must be add "virtue," i.e., moral excellence . The young man Joseph wonderfully demonstrated virtue when he refused to commit fornication with his master's wife and so "sin against God," even though his refusal caused him to be thrown into prison. (Genesis 39:7-10). Virtue is the courage to do right regardless of the pressure or temptation to sin. How desperately people in our day need this commendable quality, in order that they might not succumb to the immoral enticements in which our society wallows.

Alongside virtue, we must place " knowledge ," i.e., having the facts of God's Word. Knowing what the Bible teaches comes only through diligent study. We should desire Bible study "as newborn babes" desire milk (1 Peter 2:2). Use every opportunity you have to learn more about the Word of God.

To knowledge we must add " self-control ." This is the quality Paul demanded in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27. As the athlete in training strictly disciplines himself to receive the proper diet, exercise, and rest and to have the proper attitude, the Christian must carefully discipline his thoughts, desires, words, and actions to keep them pleasing unto God.

Further, we must add " perseverance ," i.e., steadfastness in adversity. We must not give up, no matter how difficult the circumstances. Job is held aloft as an example of this quality (James 5:11), because he maintained his integrity even though Satan buffeted him with horrible calamities (Job 1:20-22; 2:3,10). The life of a Christian is more like the marathon than the one hundred meter dash. One must endure all adversity and temptation, even to the end, not just offer a short-lived burst of clean living.

We must also possess " godliness ," the attitude which seeks to please God, not ourselves. The boy Samuel when, by Eli's instruction and as God called him, replied, "Speak, for Your servant hears." (1 Samuel 3:10) This is godliness. It should be our attitude toward God and His word. If we have godliness, it doesn't matter to us what we think or desire or what any man says. All we want to know is, “What does the Bible say? What is God’s will?”

To godliness the Christian must add " brotherly kindness ." This is the love that Christians cherish for each other as brothers. The practical fruit will be kindness and tenderness toward one another and a willingness to forgive our brother's trespasses against us (Ephesians 4:32). How far such a trait of character goes to promote the blessing of peace!

Finally, " love ," i.e., active good will, must be a quality of our lives. We must show love for God by sincere and complete obedience to His every command (1 John 5:3). We must demonstrate love toward other people by seeking their good in all we do (1 John 3:17-18).

The one who has "escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust" and has given "all diligence" to add these noble traits to his own character is a partaker of the divine nature.

(Keith Sharp)

2 Peter 1 (NASB)

8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.

To be a partaker of the divine nature is not, of course, to become God. That cannot be. The essence of Deity is not to be participated in by the creature. Between the creature and the Creator there must ever be a gulf fixed in respect of essence; but as the first man Adam was made in the image of God, so we, by the renewal of the Holy Spirit, are in a yet diviner sense made in the image of the Most High, and are partakers of the divine nature. We are, by grace, made like God. "God is love"; we become love--"He that loveth is born of God." God is truth; we become true, and we love that which is true: God is good, and He makes us good by His grace, so that we become the pure in heart who shall see God. Moreover, we become partakers of the divine nature in even a higher sense than this--in fact, in as lofty a sense as can be conceived, short of our being absolutely divine. Do we not become members of the body of the divine person of Christ? Yes, the same blood which flows in the head flows in the hand: and the same life which quickens Christ quickens His people, for "Ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God." Nay, as if this were not enough, we are married unto Christ. He hath betrothed us unto Himself in righteousness and in faithfulness, and he who is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. Oh! marvellous mystery! we look into it, but who shall understand it? One with Jesus--so one with Him that the branch is not more one with the vine than we are a part of the Lord, our Saviour, and our Redeemer! While we rejoice in this, let us remember that those who are made partakers of the divine nature will manifest their high and holy relationship in their intercourse with others, and make it evident by their daily walk and conversation that they have escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. O for more divine holiness of life!

(Spurgeon)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement