Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » PAUL, NOT ONE OF THE TWELVE

Author Topic: PAUL, NOT ONE OF THE TWELVE
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Russell S. Miller

“For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the Apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office” (Rom.11:13).

These are Paul’s inspired words in Romans 11:13. He is not one of the Twelve Apostles as many teach today and certainly was not chosen to take Judas’ place. Acts 1:16-26 gives ample proof that Saul of Tarsus did not even qualify as a follower of Jesus Christ at that time, he was an unbeliever! He had not followed the Lord from John’s baptism “unto that same day that [Jesus] was taken up from us” (Acts 1:22). Listen to Paul’s own testimony as he later recounts his conversion before King Agrippa:

“And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities” (Acts 26:11).

When Paul finally does come upon the scene in the Acts of the Apostles, Acts 9:1,2 reveals him as “a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious” (ITim.1:13), on his way to imprison and “put to death” Christ’s followers at Damascus (Acts 26:10). This is a far cry from being eligible for the position that Judas held with the disciples of the Lord. Paul was therefore most ineligible, for he had not seen Jesus Christ of Nazareth during Lord’s earthly ministry! The qualifications for the position that Judas held are clear enough:

“Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that He was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of His resurrection” (Acts 1:21-22). The “lot” therefore fell to “Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles” (Acts 1:26).

Later, when Saul finally did get saved, it is the Lord Himself who stopped Saul in his tracks, and saved him from further persecution of Messiah’s followers:

“And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou Me? … And when I could not see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of them that were with me, I came into Damascus” (Acts 22:7-11).

Thus, Paul is specially “chosen” by God through whom God’s Son is to be revealed to all nations since the favored nation refused Messiah under their so-called “Great Commission.” This is what makes Paul’s ministry, and apostleship, so very distinct from that of the Twelve, and their kingdom gospel.

Furthermore, Colossians, chapter one, makes it clear that God began something very new and different with Paul’s conversion—the Church which is the Body of Christ:

“Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His body’s sake, which is the Church:

“Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the Word of God;

“EVEN THE MYSTERY WHICH HATH BEEN HID FROM AGES AND FROM GENERATIONS, BUT NOW IS MADE MANIFEST TO HIS SAINTS:

“To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this Mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory” (Col.1:24-27).

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement