Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » How You Can Be Saved Forever and Know It

Author Topic: How You Can Be Saved Forever and Know It
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ephesians 2:8–9 makes it clear that we are not saved by good works. In fact, before we are saved, our works are done in the flesh and cannot please God; even our most “righteous” deeds fall far short of God’s glory (see Romans 3:20 and Isaiah 64:6). We can be saved only because God is gracious and merciful and has designed a way for us to be declared righteous when we are not (Psalm 86:5; Ephesians 2:4). When Jesus became sin for us (2 Corinthians 5:21), we inherited His righteousness. Salvation is a divine exchange: our tattered rags of self-effort for the perfection of Christ. Because His death and resurrection paid the price for our evil deeds, we can be declared perfect before God (Romans 5:1). We are told to “put on the Lord Jesus Christ” like a flawless garment (Romans 13:14).

At salvation, the Holy Spirit moves into the repentant heart (Acts 2:38). Self is no longer the uncontested lord of our lives. Jesus is now the boss. That’s what it means to say that Jesus is “Lord” (Romans 10:9; Colossians 2:6). We were once headed south; we are now headed north. Everything is changed. We begin to view life from God’s perspective, not our own—as John Newton wrote, “I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.”

The sins we once committed without thought now bring conviction. To know God is to see sin the way He sees it. First John 3:9 says, “No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.” Instead of sin, the born-again Christian produces “fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). Salvation enables us to live “in the Spirit” and so truly perform good works (Galatians 5:16).

Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” God’s goal in saving us was not only to rescue us from hell, but also that we would reflect His character and goodness to the world. God delights to see us becoming more like His Son (Romans 8:29). We were created in God’s image. Sin marred that image. When God bought us back for Himself, it was to restore His image in us and free us to become all we were created to be. When the Holy Spirit comes to live inside us, He prompts us to do things that glorify God (John 14:26). Our desire to please God grows as our understanding of Him grows. That desire to please God results in good works.

It is biblically inconsistent to say that someone has been saved but has not changed. Many people go through the outward motions of giving their lives to Christ, but no lifestyle change follows. That is not real salvation but is a “dead” faith (James 2:26). When you walk into a dark room and flip the switch, you expect light. If no light appears, you rightly assume something is wrong. It would be logically inconsistent to say that the light is on when the room is still pitch black. Light naturally dispels darkness. When a dark heart receives the light of salvation, it is illuminated (John 12:46). Priorities change. Desires change. Outlook changes. Life is seen clearly for the first time. If the darkness of sin continues, we can rightly assume no light came on.

To use another biblical analogy, God wants to produce fruit in our lives (see Galatians 5:22–23). He is the Vinedresser, Jesus is the Vine, and we are the branches. The branches are naturally attached to the vine; from the vine they get their support, their ability to produce fruit, and their very life. Jesus said, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit” (John 15:5). That is the purpose of the vineyard—to produce “much fruit.” Good works follow salvation.

So, although we cannot be saved by our good works, when we are saved, we will produce good works. Just as a baby will grow after birth, so a believer will grow after the new birth. We grow at different rates and in different ways, but a live birth results in growth. If a baby never grows, there is something very wrong. No one expects a baby to stay a baby forever. As he grows, the child begins to look more and more like his parents. In the same way, after salvation, we grow, and we begin to look more and more like our Heavenly Father. This is only possible as we “abide in Him” and allow Him to reproduce His character in us (John 15:4).

Good works do not produce salvation. Good works are the product of salvation. Jesus said to His followers, “Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).

From: http://www.gotquestions.org/good-works-salvation.html

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning and Happy Tuesday,

We moved in Saturday. We had movers move the furniture and most of the boxes. Moving is hard at any age, but when you are in your sixties it is a huge deal. Of course there is also complications. Dog chewing up a piece a tile and the edge of the carpet trying to get out of bathroom, when we made the mistake of locking her in bathroom when we went to the store. Kiss our deposit goodbye. Still haven't found the box with my shoes and the only pair I have out hurts my feet. Yet we are indeed blessed. Our son, his fiancé and her mother were a tremendous help to us.

God is so good. He is with us in every stage of our life- from the day we are born -to our last breath. There are times when we do not understand why we go through things, but we can be at peace knowing God has a plan. Our move even though it was hard was a good thing. We are so blessed to Sarah and her parents become a part of our lives, but sometimes we will not know until Heaven why God allowed us to go down a certain path. Take heart my friend, you can trust God through good and bad circumstances.

Haven't seen birds yet, but have seen squirrel at new place. Have a blessed day,
Betty
Just have Internet through phone at the moment

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endure2TheEnd
Community Member
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endure2TheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are good works important for our salvation?

I think that question is also related to this one :

What is the purpose of earth life?

If good works are important for our salvation, then the purpose of earth life may be to become better people, by doing good works.

But if good works are not important for our salvation, then I'm not sure what the purpose of earth life would be.

If all we need to do is believe, and not worry about doing good works, could that help us become better people? Just by believing, even if we don't do good works?

Or does God not care if we become better people or not?

Posts: 15 | From: AZ | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but many have doubts and therefor they are not sure they are saved. They doubt whither they are trusting Christ enough. They doubt whither they have lived a good enough life after they believed.

Then there are others who are resolute that they are sure they are saved because they once believed and now they claim to be saved no matter what they do. They will say works has nothing to do with salvation. They say it’s all about believing in the Lord Jesus Christ. Nothing else matters, their sin is dealt with at the cross, they can sin and not be one bit concerned. They believe Christ has saved them, because they believe in Him.

These are the issues that James deals with. James says, “the devils also believe, and tremble.” James also says, “faith without works is dead.”

Before one can know they are saved, they must trust Christ from the heart and if they are sincere the Holy Spirit will lead them to do good works and restrain them from doing evil.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GISMYS16
Advanced Member
Member # 12739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GISMYS16   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How You Can Be Saved Forever and Know It

"What must I do to be saved?" you ask. Here is God's answer given in Acts 16:31: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." Many are deceived, yet they should not be. It is not hard to be saved if one sincerely wishes to come God's way. To do the will of the Father means simply to trust Jesus Christ His Son who died to save you. He paid for all your sins. God is satisfied with the price Jesus paid, and offers free pardon to all who depend upon the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy. All through the Bible that blessed truth is given. Claim these blessed promises today:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." - John 5:24.

Posts: 36 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement