Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Unyielding Faith

Author Topic: Unyielding Faith
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, is my face red!

In The Luke Reports, (a Focus On The Family Radio Theater production), one of the characters scolded her friend for wanting to turn back from a difficult mission. She said, "Christ did not die for our common sense."

When we get caught-up in the middle of the everyday world of living, common sense becomes so...common.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke 5:17-26 gives the account of a paralytic lowered through the roof of the room where Jesus was located so they could get past the crowds and receive healing. Here is one of two new teachings revealed to me.

These men who “broke line” and carried their paralyzed friend around the crowd and up on the roof and moved the roof tiles and then carefully lowered their friend through mid-air were recognized for THEIR faith.

Luke 5:20 “And when he saw THEIR faith he said, ‘Man, your sins are forgiven you.’”

As I think through all the individual steps they performed, these men went through a lot of very hard work to help their friend. How much easier if they had realized the crowd was too dense, the wait to see Jesus too long and just turned back. There may have been two men carrying the man on his cot or maybe there were four or six, but if only one had lost heart, he might have appealed and prevailed to others’ common sense that this was a good and generous effort, but simply not possible. After all, they could still say they made a good gesture and sleep well that night. After all, they could think of themselves as pretty special because they at least tried and sacrificed part of their lives for a while, but Jesus was just too hard to reach. They didn’t quit and that must mean that none of them quit. Their faith was too certain to quit. They were united in their faith.

I wonder if I’ve ever been the person who appealed to another for common sense reality instead of faith and trust in the Christ and slept well in reconciled self-justification.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement