Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Jesus' Temptation

Author Topic: Jesus' Temptation
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
You're welcome to copy it. But David is the teacher. I'm just a fellow student. [hug]

If you are referring to me I am just here as a Brother in Christ. I love to talk about Jesus and God's word.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome to copy it. But David is the teacher. I'm just a fellow student. [hug]
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melina
Member # 7061

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Melina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all. I think I understand now. I will copy the piece Carol wrote so I can think about it more today.

It seems that these temptations could be very subtle and could catch me unawares. It would be good for me to be more aware of them. [Frown]

Posts: 4 | From: australia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimbarn
Advanced Member
Member # 7053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimbarn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well stated Carol.
I am amazed at how Satan has used the same tactics
since the fall.
That one,tempting Eve and people even today with "you can
be like God" or be a god yourself.
How many are fooled with this today?
Barney [Smile]

Posts: 43 | From: Unicoi,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melina,

I came across what I thought was an interesting study on the temptations...

TEMPTATIONS

Lust of the flesh
The desire to fulfill pleasures, physical desires

Lust of the eyes
The constant craving for more

The pride of life
The desire for power or possessions

Temptation of Eve
(Genesis 3:4-6)

The fruit looked delicious and would be good to eat.

The fruit was a pleasure to look at.

The fruit was desirable for gaining wisdom; Eve wanted to “be like God.”

Temptation of Christ
(Matthew 4:1-11; Luke 4:1-13)

Turn the stones into bread.

Gain all the kingdoms of the world, as far as the eye can see.

Throw yourself down and the angels will come and rescue you for God will not allow you to be hurt.

Temptation of the Church Today

Take what is easier or more pleasurable rather than God’s best.

Respond impulsively, without restraint or self-control.

Build a power base rather than seek to serve others.

I guess Satan still tempts each of us using the same old three "biggies".

We can't fight Satan, but our Lord can fight him for us when we put our trust in Christ. [Smile]

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you read these temptations, there are several messages involved. First, we must understand that these temptations are to expose the human nature of Jesus Christ in that he was tempted. This is confirmed in the verses of Hebrews that David referenced. Further in this study we should look at 1 John 2:16. here we have Jesus withstanding the temptations of this world.

"Lust of the flesh;" - Luke 4:3 - turning the stones to bread to fulfill the fleshly desires of the times. Not that eating when you are hungry is sinful, but recognizing the needed sustenance as more than just filling a desire. Our true desire which should be sought after is the sustenance of the Word of God.

"Lust of the eyes;" - Luke 4:6,7 - As far as the eye could see, Satan offered Christ. I don't believe that it was actually Satan's to give as Christ was in charge even then. Yet, as now, sin and its father, Satan, does have a controlling arm in the sinful world. Satan was appealing to the pleasing of the eyes to man in general, but Christ does not see this world as man does.

"Pride of life;" -Luke 4:9-11 - Satan is requesting of Christ to selfishly show his power just as the Pharisees demanded for him to give them a sign even after he had performed many miracles in their presence.

The most important thing to recognize in all of this, is that Christ did not cave-in to these temptations. [Proof of his deity] He remained sinless throughout his entire life. This also is confirmed in the Scriptures David has referenced.

There is also a facet of Satan's knowledge of the verbiage of Scripture. Satan does not have the Spirit required that we do to have a good understanding of the Scripture, but can likely quote the Bible in its entirety. Satan repeatedly takes the Scriptures out of context.

Hope this may have provided some insight.

Chewy-

Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus was not tempted so that the Father could determine the Son’s character and ability, for the Father had already approved the Son (3:22) and would do so again (9:35). Nor was He tempted to give Satan a chance to defeat Him, for Satan probably did not even want this confrontation, knowing that Jesus could overcome his every tactic. Jesus was tempted so that He could personally experience what we go through and so be prepared to assist us (Heb. 2:16-18; 4:14-16) and to show us how we can overcome the evil one by means of the Spirit of God (v. 1) and the Word of God (v. 4). The first Adam was tested in a beautiful garden and failed, but the Last Adam was victorious in a terrible wilderness.

Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the New Testament

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melina
Member # 7061

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Melina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listened to the reading of Luke 4:1-4 and I hear that this is a temptation but am not sure why. Jesus was hungry because he hadn't eaten. Satan asked him to turn the stone to bread. Jesus said no because man does not live on bread alone.
Is it a temptation because Satan was asking Jesus to prove who he really was, the Son of God? Or is it a temptation because Satan was asking Jesus to meet his needs in his own way rather than waiting for God to provide? Or is it a temptation because Satan was asking Jesus to use his power for himself and not the good of others, or is it a temptation because Satan was tempting him to break his deliberate fast before the set time?
Thank you... [Confused]

Posts: 4 | From: australia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement