Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Judgment is Poised

Author Topic: Judgment is Poised
jimbarn
Advanced Member
Member # 7053

Icon 16 posted      Profile for jimbarn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A righteous judgement is one directed by God.
However,judgement of a brother has a caveat.
Romans 14 We are not to judge a brother on how he responds to God or to judge his weakness.
This does not apply when church disapline is called for.
Paul deals with this in 1&2 Corinithians.
In the case of Phinehas he was caring out God's righteous
judgement on blatant sin that was in the open
in front of the whole camp.
Barney [Smile]

Posts: 43 | From: Unicoi,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judgment is a fascinating topic in itself and difficult to ponder isolated from the topic of forgiveness. The verse immediately preceding the one which inspired you:
Luke 3:8 “Bear fruits that befit repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father’; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham.”

John the Baptist was clearly judgmental of the very “multitudes that came to be baptized by him,…” (Lk. 3:7), referring to them as a “brood of vipers”.

More intriguing is the account of Phin’ehas in Numbers 25, he killed one of the people of Israel who had brought a Mid’ianite woman to his family in the sight of Moses and all the congregation. Then he killed the Mid’ianite woman. So Phin’ehas committed murder. The consequences are initially surprising to me. Numbers 25:10-11 “ And the Lord said to Moses, ‘Phin’ehas the son of Elea’zar, son of Aaron the priest, has turned back my wrath from the people of Israel, in that he was jealous with my jealousy among them, so that I did not consume the people of Israel in my jealousy.”

The common denominator between these Old and New Testament accounts seems to be that John the Baptist and Phin’ehas are applying righteous judgment. I take issue with people who quote “judge not lest ye be judged” for all convenient occasions. Does anyone believe we are forbidden to judge at all, even with right judgment using the Word of God as the one and only standard? I suspect judgment, like forgiveness, is misconstrued by many. Disconnecting judgment from God’s will is like disconnecting forgiveness from bearing the fruits of repentance.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree!

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daddy Raptor
Advanced Member
Member # 6975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Raptor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the phrase from Luke 3:9, "Even now the ax of God's judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees," is applicable to our country because of our baby killing! There is no more critical moral or political issue than abortion in my view. I'm aware that the context of this verse has nothing to do with this but, reading this phrase prompted me to share this opinion.
Posts: 21 | From: Jonesborough, TN | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement