Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Relations

Author Topic: Relations
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John the Baptist is one of my favorites. He was not afraid to stand up and tell it like it is.

He took it to the streets.

John the Baptist was an open-air preacher. Jesus was an open-air preacher. He preached the greatest sermon of all time, the “Sermon on the Mount” in the open-air. Peter preached in the open-air at Pentecost and Paul chose to stand on Mars Hill and preach open-air to the Athenians. If we are serious about reaching this world, let us follow in the footsteps of Jesus and the apostles and preach where sinners gather. In thirty minutes, a good open-air preacher can reach more sinners than the average church does in twelve months. -Ray Comfort

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you David. Wow, John must have been stunned when Jesus came to be baptized and the Holy Spirit indicated that Jesus was the Son of God!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 15 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The KJV does state they are cousins.

Luke 1:36 (King James Version)(KJV)

And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

The Wycliffe Bible Commentary from Moody Press (My version is from 1962) states the below about this verse:

If Mary and Elizabeth were first cousins, Jesus and John the Baptist were second cousins.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both! I know that the fact Jesus is our Lord is by far the most important thing, and I don't want to get sidetracked here. But I was curious because it seems that God's chosen people all come from this rare and special bloodline, so I wondered if John was a member of that family. It seems to me that he would be because Elizabeth was a descendant of Aaron.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimbarn
Advanced Member
Member # 7053

Icon 16 posted      Profile for jimbarn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Reformation study Bible states both were descendents of Aaron(v-5 same chapter)and Mary was a descendent of David.Thus, both, King and Priestly line.
Jesus claimed,rightly so,King and Priest.
Hebrews 7 after the order of Melchizedek

Barney [Smile]

Posts: 43 | From: Unicoi,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Living Bible translation describes Elizabeth as Mary's aunt in Luke 1:36. It is however footnoted that "aunt" is literally translated as "relative". Probably safe to understand Jesus and John the Baptist were related since Mary and Elizabeth were related somehow. Best I can find so far.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Were Jesus and John the Baptist cousins?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement