Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Who thought this ointment was a waste of $?

Author Topic: Who thought this ointment was a waste of $?
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. What you've said makes good sense. Your last point of course is the key lesson to this particular event.

One of the other revelations to me, coupled with some of the O.T. readings regarding the opulence of the Ark of the Covenant, the altars, et. al. demanded by God. Jesus seems to be giving the same lesson in that we should never begrudge extravagant adornment to honor Him.

I'll have to remember this next time someone wants to spend a lot of money for the church sanctuary.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi phillip,

A turkey dinner sounds good to me too!

The host, Simon the Leper, did not have leprosy at this time, for lepers had to live separately from people because of the extreme contagiousness of the disease. Jesus may have healed Simon of his leprosy, but this name (or nickname) had stuck. Perhaps Mark used it to distinguish him from Simon Peter or Simon the Zealot (3:18). If he once had leprosy (“leprosy” in ancient times covered a range of diseases), he was now clean; but he couldn’t shake the past.

Mark 14:4

But some were there who said to one another in anger, “Why was the ointment wasted in this way?” (NRSV)

Where Mark says some … said, John specifically mentions Judas (John 12:4-5). Mark probably was referring to all the disciples.

This Nard cost a year's wages!!! I know we all are paid different wages now, but my guess is that it would be like $24,000!!! And yet, Jesus is more precious than any amount imaginable.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 20 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark 14:3 “And while he was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at table, a woman came with an alabaster jar of ointment of pure nard, very costly, and she broke the jar and poured it over his head.”

As many times as I’ve read and heard about this event, this is the first time I’ve ever noticed Jesus was at the house of a leper. Further, per 14:1, it was during a feast, which adds to the revelation. Despite some of the evidence we’ve seen in our O.T. readings that not all lepers were destitute, it seems safe to presume Simon was not able to provide the greatest of comfort or food. Personally, I would have set my sights on staying with someone who would provide lots of turkey and unleavened dressing.

So if they were staying with Simon the leper, is it safe to guess the scribes and Pharisees were not there and it was the disciples who grumbled about this “waste of money”?

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement