Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Matthew 23:8-9

Author Topic: Matthew 23:8-9
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 19 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't find offense in calling or referring to one's immediate male ancestor "father." Father is a word of respect. [Luke 15:21 - the prodigal son uses the word father in this fashion; numerous other verses use the word "father" in this context.] That must be O.K.

However what Christ is speaking of is a Spiritual Father. He is condemning those who yearn for positions of authority for their own lustful satisfactions. He covers this in the earlier verses of these Scriptures [look back at verses 1-7] Any person who places themselves above the other members of Christ's church through the usage of a title is in error. Christ says that His true followers must be servants. He Himself came as a servant to be an example for us all. I personally do take issue with the Catholic position of calling the priest "Father."
This comes moreso from their position of placing the priest above the membership in Godliness. One might argue that it depends mostly upon the priest's heart condition as there is a certain element of fatherhood in leading a church as priest/pastor. They are our spiritual guides. But in no way should we place diety status toward those positions, particularly in using the title "father" in a similar way as it is used for God.

Chewy-

Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crazya,

Hello, and welcome. At the top of each day's reading there is a link to a commentary. Also, there is a commentary on this particular question posted with the title "One Master." I hope these will help.

Blessings,

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazya
Member # 7002

Icon 20 posted      Profile for crazya         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I was reading in Matthew 23:8,9 to be exact, I had no idea we were not to call our religious leaders Rabbi and/or Father. Is the Greek and Hebrew text more clear on this? As I was Catholic in my upbringing I am shocked to read this. I was never informed of this during instruction. How is it overlooked in so many religions today or am I missing something that makes it alright.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement