Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » The Lord sought to kill Moses?

Author Topic: The Lord sought to kill Moses?
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CHEWY:
I really see the point we should take away from this is the importance of being obedient. We cannot allow ourselves to get caught up in the "once saved always saved" shuffle. While salvation is a free gift which we cannot earn and I do accept the doctrine of predestination, the fact that we are saved will produce at the very least a desire to be obedient. We all have our faults, yet because of salvation, we should detest our sinful natures. These passages clearly should teach us that obedience is of a vital nature...

Very true.

[thumbsup2]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really see the point we should take away from this is the importance of being obedient. We cannot allow ourselves to get caught up in the "once saved always saved" shuffle. While salvation is a free gift which we cannot earn and I do accept the doctrine of predestination, the fact that we are saved will produce at the very least a desire to be obedient. We all have our faults, yet because of salvation, we should detest our sinful natures. These passages clearly should teach us that obedience is of a vital nature...
Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I believe that the Circumcision was the reason.

Title: Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the Old Testament 

Author: Wiersbe, Warren W.

His discipline (vv. 24-26)

Circumcision was an important part of the Jewish faith, yet Moses had neglected to bring his own son into the covenant (Gen. 17). God had to discipline Moses (perhaps by sickness) to remind him of his obligation. How could he lead Israel if he was failing to lead his own household in things spiritual? Moses later sent his family back to Midian (see 18:2).

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 15 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both for your responses. It seems very logical that circumcision was the catalyst for this event and there is reliable Scriptural substantiation, which is a must.

Although I accepted the Christ as Lord 27 years ago, it has only been in the past few years that the absolute necessity of not adding to or taking away from the Bible has been so strongly impressed upon me. It's now frightening to see the results of cracking the door open to "adjusting" the Scriptures for any reason.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barnes’ Notes on the Old Testament

Exodus 4:24

Met him, and sought to kill him

Moses was attacked by a sudden and dangerous illness, which he knew was inflicted by God. The word “sought to kill” implies that the sickness, whatever might be its nature, was one which threatened death had it not been averted by a timely act. Zipporah believed that the illness of Moses was due to his having neglected the duty of an Israelite, and to his not having circumcised his own son; the delay was probably owing to her own not unnatural repugnance to a rite, which though practiced by the Egyptians, was not adopted generally in the East, even by the descendants of Abraham and Keturah. Moses appears to have been utterly prostrate and unable to perform the rite himself.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 19 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These verses do not offer much in the way of clarity. However, since Moses' wife's actions apparently reconcile the offense with God, I am of the mind that unknown by us, God had instructed Moses to circumcize his son and for whatever reason Moses hadn't done so until this point. Truly the details are vague here.
Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 5 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exodus 4:24-26 “At a lodging place on the way the Lord met him and sought to kill him. Then Zippo’rah took a flint and cut off her son’s foeskin, and touched Moses’ feet with it, and said, ‘Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!” So he let him alone. Then it was that she said, ‘You are a bridegroof of blood,’ because of the circumcision.”

This is one of the most mysterious accounts in the Bible to me. It seems clear that God intended to kill Moses. What provoked God to do this is not at all clear to me. Why the actions of Moses’ wife Zippo’rah in circumcising their son was an action to save Moses is equally unclear.

Does anyone have any insights to share?

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement