Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Wisdom & Faith vs. Intelligence

Author Topic: Wisdom & Faith vs. Intelligence
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good catch Mr. Raptor. Ties in very nicely with the conclusion of the poem Carol shared too. It's amazing how much meaning is packed into so few words from Scripture.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daddy Raptor
Advanced Member
Member # 6975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Raptor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to be wise? Win souls! Prov. 11:30b "...he who wins souls is wise."
Posts: 21 | From: Jonesborough, TN | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi phillip,

I came across this poem. I don't know who the poet is, but I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Who were the Wise Men in the long ago?

Not Herod, fearful lest he lose his throne;

Not Pharisees, too proud to claim their own;

Not priests and scribes whose province was to know;

Not money changers running too and fro;

But three who traveled, weary and alone,

With dauntless faith, because before them shone

The star that led them to a manger low.

Who are the Wise Men now, when all is told?

Not men of science; not the great and strong;

Not those who wear a kingly diadem;

Not those whose eager hands pile high the gold;

But those amid the tumult and the throng

Who follow still the star of Bethlehem.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost overlooked the link David Campbell included with the January 21 reading, but found it to be especially pertinent as well as succinct.

Today’s reading from Proverbs, like so many others in this book, prizes wisdom. Wisdom is not the same thing as intelligence. Personal experience has proven many people who have high intelligence, superlative IQ’s, and impressive pedigrees in education with all manner of accolades are not necessarily wise.

“Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.” (Prov. 3:7)

“The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, MAKING WISE THE SIMPLE;” (Psalm 19:7).

Is it a stretch to conclude that wisdom requires enduring faith in our God and His holy word?
Wisdom provides strength against our enemies as the Psalm of David stresses today. But it requires the steadfast faith culminating in the love and forgiveness Joseph showed his brothers in Genesis. Joseph had faith beyond my comprehension.

Matthew 13 closes with Jesus leaving his own country. The people there questioned his authority, or wisdom, largely because he was only a carpenter’s son. (Matt.13:54-56) The chapter concludes “And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.” (Matt. 13:58)

They may have been logical, even intelligent people, but they couldn’t recognize wisdom because they had none.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement