Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Matthew 8:12

Author Topic: Matthew 8:12
lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OUTER DARKNESS
IN MATTHEW 8:5-12
June 27, 2004

We need revelation from God

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

It is for your profit

Acts 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Popular teaching in churches today

Jeremiah 23:17 They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

The doctrnie of Balaam

Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

We need all the counsel of God

Acts 20:26-27 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. 27 For I have not shunned (not avoided) to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

Knowing the terror of the Lord

2 Corinthians 5:11a “Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord…

We persuade men

2 Corinthians 5:11b …we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.”

“OUTER DARKNESS” three times

Matthew 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The first mention of “OUTER DARKNESS”

Matthew 8:5-12 And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him, 6 And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy [paralyzed], grievously tormented (in great pain). 7 And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him. 8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed. 9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. 10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. 11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The phrase

Outer = The Greek word exoteron is an adjective describing a place on the outside or without in contrast to being on the inside or within.

Darkness = The Greek word skotos is a noun that simply means: a place where light is absent.

In the Greek text, there is a definite article before both words.

Therefore, it can be literally translated: “into the darkness the outer.” The definite articles indicate a particular place of darkness outside a particular place of light. Thus, an improved translation would be “a place of darkness on the outside.”

The kingdom of heaven is contrasted with outer darkness

Matthew 8:11-12 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The Kingdom of Heaven And The Kingdom of God are synonymous.

Matthew 19:23-24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

The kingdom of God is future

Luke 22:18 For I (Jesus) say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

The kingdom of heaven is the millennium

Revelation 20:4 “… they (the faithful martyrs) lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.”

Positions and ranks

Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Entering into the kingdom of heaven is conditional

1. Enduring Persecution Due To Righteous Living

Matthew 5:10-12 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

2 Thessalonians 1:4-5 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure: 5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

2. One Must Go Through Much Tribulation

Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

3. The Poor In Spirit

Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4. Exceeding Righteousness As A Lifestyle

Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

5. Seek It First

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

6. One Must Practice The Will Of The Father

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth [“practices,” NKJ] the will of my Father which is in heaven.

7. One Must Be Willing Now To Step Down In Humility

Matthew 18:3-4 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

8. Cross Bearing, Not Trusting In Earthly Riches, But In Treasure in Heaven

Mark 10:21-24 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. 22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great (earthly) possessions. 23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! 24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!

9. Sin Must Be Taken Seriously

Mark 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire (Gk. Gehenna)

10. One Cannot Purpose to Live In Unconfessed Sin

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11. You Have To Be Fit For It

Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

12. Repentance, Confessing Sin And Water Baptism

Matthew 3:2,6 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. 6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

The Gentile centurion was a saved man

Matthew 8:5-6 And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him, 6 And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.

A Gentile with great faith

Matthew 8:7-9 And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him. 8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed. 9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

More faith than Israel

Matthew 8:10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

Israel was God's chosen

Isaiah 44:1 Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen.

Jesus was the king of Israel

John 1:49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

They knew him not

Acts 13:27 For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him.

Israel was in unbelief

John 19:14-15 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he (Pilate) saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! 15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.

Entrance into the kingdom

Matthew 8:11 And I (Jesus) say unto you, That many (Gentiles with so great faith) shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob (faithful Jews), in the kingdom of heaven.

Outer darkness in kingdom exclusion

Matthew 8:12 But the children [sons] of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The children of the kingdom

Matthew 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one.

Israel was cut off from the blessing

Romans 11:20-22 Well; because of unbelief they (Israel, the children of the kingdom) were broken off [from entering the blessing of the kingdom], and thou (Gentiles, the Church) standest by faith (as the centurion did in Mt. 8:10). Be not highminded, but fear: 21 For if God spared not the natural branches (Israel, the children of the kingdom), take heed lest he also spare not thee (Gentiles). 22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them (Israel) which fell, severity; but toward thee (Gentiles), goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off (from entering the blessing of the kingdom).

The pain of exclusion

Luke 13:28-29 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out (into outer darkness). 29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.

Tears wiped way after the kingdom

Revelation 21:4 And (after the millennium in Rev.20:6) God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi David,

Here's one answer from good old Barnes...

Title: Barnes’ Notes on the New Testament
Edition: Second

Matthew 8:12

The children of the kingdom—
That is, the children, or the people, who “expected the kingdom,” or to whom it properly belonged; or, in other words, the Jews. they supposed themselves to be the special favorites of heaven. They thought that the Messiah would enlarge their nation and spread the triumphs of their kingdom. They called themselves, therefore, the children or the members of the kingdom of God, to the exclusion of the Gentiles. Our Saviour used the manner of speech to which they were accustomed, and said that “many of the pagans would be saved, and many Jews lost.

Shall be cast out into outer darkness …—
This is an image of future punishment. It is not improbable that the image was taken from Roman dungeons or prisons. They were commonly constructed under ground. They were shut out from the light of the sun. They were, of course, damp, dark, and unhealthy, and probably most filthy. Masters were in the habit of constructing such prisons for their slaves, where the unhappy prisoner, without light, or company, or comfort, spent his days and nights in weeping from grief, and in vainly gnashing his teeth from indignation. The image expresses the fact that the wicked who are lost will be shut out from the light of heaven, and from peace, and joy, and hope; will weep in hopeless grief, and will gnash their teeth in indignation against God, and complain against his justice. What a striking image of future woe! Go to a damp, dark, solitary, and squalid dungeon; see a miserable and enraged victim; add to his sufferings the idea of eternity, and then remember that this, after all, is but an image, a faint image, of hell!

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if everyone understands what the below means?

But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 8:12 (KJV)

"the children of the kingdom" ???

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement