Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » How Should A Christian View Politics

Author Topic: How Should A Christian View Politics
T.J.
Member # 11035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the last election my heart was torn about who to vote for. I knew there was NO WAY I could vote for obama...(I even had a prophetic dream before the election). I voted for mccain the first time but Romney plagued me. having researched the mormon's I knew Romney was in a cult even though many in my church and Christianity in general said he was a Christian family man. Still i wanted to vote on the side of truth. And knowing the truth about what mormon's believe I could not sweep it under the rug. The mormon Christ ia a false Christ. But so many were saying he could help the economy. And our God could not? Where was their faith? My hope is in Him...not a man, not a poltical party....I could not just , "not vote"...too many precious souls in our nation's history gave their lives and spilled their blood to give me the freedom to walk into that both and let my voice be heard!! So back to Romney......he would keep us out of another 4 years of obama (which sadly we are seeing the results)...all I had to do was vote for Romney.....but My vote for romney seemed to me to be a vote AGAINST CHRIST...for i willingly would vote for one who denies the One True Christ. We are in the days of great deception and I thought if believer's could vote for Romney what would prevent them from taking the soon approaching mark of the beast? Whether we are here for it or not i want to live with no grey area about who I live for on this earth.
So I walked into that booth and voted for the only One who knows the end from the beginning and who orders my steps and who will meet my needs. I voted fro the Lord Jesus Christ. I did not throw away my vote. As this nation implodes, as this nation's president leaves out "under God" from the gettysburg address, this woman has placed her future COMPLETELY into the hands of the SAVIOR. And I will have the victory.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Directed by: Howard Hawks
Year: 1941 | Duration: 134 min
Genre: Action, Drama, Biography, History, War
Starring: Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Joan Leslie

True story of a hillbilly sharpshooter drafted in WW1 despite his claim to be a pacifist, who ends up becoming a war hero.

http://www.ovguide.com/sergeant-york-9202a8c04000641f800000000008a82e

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noble:

My feeling is, we as Christians first and American citizens second must stand on the Gospel in the square being a part of the freedom movement espousing Christian ethos everywhere possible.

I sure agree. This we must do and learn to take a stand showing what we do believe instead of this:

-

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are great points, but we live in a sinful debased world. We can't hide from the degradation of civilization. Therefore we have to do the best we can to change what is around us, don't you think, or do we live as martyrs? When Jesus replied to the tax situation, with "render unto Caesar that which is Caesars and unto God that which is Gods. Now this was more than just a tax question but a regulation question. Rome ruled all that part of the world and Governors were in each province, and at this time Pilate was the Israeli governor. therefore whatever edict that came from Rome through Pilate was law and adhered to.
My feeling is, we as Christians first and American citizens second must stand on the Gospel in the square being a part of the freedom movement espousing Christian ethos everywhere possible.

Posts: 81 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The greatest temporal good we can accomplish through political involvement cannot compare to what the Lord can accomplish through us in the eternal work of His kingdom. Just as God called ancient Israel (Ex. 19:6), He has called the church to be a kingdom of priests, not a kingdom of political activists. The apostle Peter instructs us, "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light" (1 Pet. 2:9).

Jesus, as we would expect, perfectly maintained His Father's perspective on these matters even though He lived in a society that was every bit as pagan and corrupt as today's culture."

http://www.gty.org/resources/articles/A126/Christians-and-Politics-Part-3

I do believe this to be true. But regrettably I get to involved and voice my opinion in anger. I need to work on that. [Smile]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If as we can see today the Christian does NOT stand in the authority of Scripture and face their detractors Christianity will be relegated forever in the wastebasket of history.

Don't worry, Christianity is Christ Himself. Our Lord's purpose for His Bride will be fulfilled no matter what men and governments do, and His purpose for Israel will also be fulfilled. We know that in the last days, the days we're in now, there will be apostasy and mockers.

But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. 2For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, 4treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; (2 Timothy 3)

This is prophecy, and we cannot change it. We need to just keep spreading the good seed of His Word and living as kingdom people. We are citizens of His kingdom, aliens in this world.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an addendum; Politic ( Greek) politika or parsed (Gr) polis= city so; politics revolves around the affairs of the city or citizenry
Posts: 81 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Carol a very good start, and surprisingly not a comment yet, so I shall start
As through history, God's people have been involved in the political process in that they ran their own tribal groups and then within the Israel Kingdom, the subsequent split Kingdom and in the dispersions became participators in the alien kingdoms.
Politics is a semantical word really,dealing with public policy as in the authoritive structure of government. [wonder if this statement actually meant anything] Esther was involved in the Kings policies, Joseph became involved with the Pharaohs policies,
If as we can see today the Christian does NOT stand in the authority of Scripture and face their detractors Christianity will be relegated forever in the wastebasket of history.
God has allowed His Creation to make their own decisions throughout history to their detriment. The decisions of the Church to follow this decision making with tacit words, I feel is not a good course. Even Billy Graham was at least introducing god to the world leaders when the occasion allowed. The Christian voice must be heard anew in this age. Loudly and forcefully. Study the Books of Samuel, Kings and Chronicles and watch as the Nation of Israel devolved into chaos and dispersion.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How should a Christian view politics?

If there is anything that will spark a spontaneous debate, if not an outright argument, it is a discussion involving politics—even among believers. As followers of Christ, what should be our attitude and our involvement with politics? It has been said that “religion and politics don’t mix.” But is that really true? Can we have political views outside the considerations of our Christian faith? The answer is no, we cannot. The Bible gives us two truths regarding our stance towards politics and government.

The first truth is that the will of God permeates and supersedes every aspect of life. It is God’s will that takes precedence over everything and everyone (Matthew 6:33). God’s plans and purposes are fixed, and His will is inviolable. What He has purposed, He will bring to pass, and no government can thwart His will (Daniel 4:34-35). In fact, it is God who “sets up kings and deposes them” (Daniel 2:21) because “the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes” (Daniel 4:17). A clear understanding of this truth will help us to see that politics is merely a method God uses to accomplish His will. Even though evil men abuse their political power, meaning it for evil, God means it for good, working “all things together for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).

Second, we must grasp the fact that our government cannot save us! Only God can. We never read in the New Testament of Jesus or any of the apostles expending any time or energy schooling believers on how to reform the pagan world of its idolatrous, immoral, and corrupt practices via the government. The apostles never called for believers to demonstrate civil disobedience to protest the Roman Empire's unjust laws or brutal schemes. Instead, the apostles commanded the first-century Christians, as well as us today, to proclaim the gospel and live lives that give clear evidence to the gospel’s transforming power.

There is no doubt that our responsibility to government is to obey the laws and be good citizens (Romans 13:1-2). God has established all authority, and He does so for our benefit, “to commend those who do right” (1 Peter 2:13-15). Paul tells us in Romans 13:1-8 that it is the government’s responsibility to rule in authority over us—hopefully for our good—to collect taxes, and to keep the peace. Where we have a voice and can elect our leaders, we should exercise that right by voting for those whose views most closely parallel our own.

One of Satan’s grandest deceptions is that we can rest our hope for cultural morality and godly living in politicians and governmental officials. A nation’s hope for change is not to be found in any country’s ruling class. The church has made a mistake if it thinks that it is the job of politicians to defend, to advance, and to guard biblical truths and Christian values.

The church’s unique, God-given purpose does not lie in political activism. Nowhere in Scripture do we have the directive to spend our energy, our time, or our money in governmental affairs. Our mission lies not in changing the nation through political reform, but in changing hearts through the Word of God. When believers think the growth and influence of Christ can somehow be allied with government policy, they corrupt the mission of the church. Our Christian mandate is to spread the gospel of Christ and to preach against the sins of our time. Only as the hearts of individuals in a culture are changed by Christ will the culture begin to reflect that change.

Believers throughout the ages have lived, and even flourished, under antagonistic, repressive, pagan governments. This was especially true of the first-century believers who, under merciless political regimes, sustained their faith under immense cultural stress. They understood that it was they, not their governments, who were the light of the world and the salt of the earth. They adhered to Paul’s teaching to obey their governing authorities, even to honor, respect, and pray for them (Romans 13:1-8). More importantly, they understood that, as believers, their hope resided in the protection that only God supplies. The same holds true for us today. When we follow the teachings of the Scriptures, we become the light of the world as God has intended for us to be (Matthew 5:16).

Political entities are not the savior of the world. The salvation for all mankind has been manifested in Jesus Christ. God knew that our world needed saving long before any national government was ever founded. He demonstrated to the world that redemption could not be accomplished through the power of man, his economic strength, his military might, or his politics. Peace of mind, contentment, hope and joy—and the salvation of mankind—is accomplished only through His work of faith, love, and grace.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-politics.html

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement