Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Death In The Pot

Author Topic: Death In The Pot
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O I C

[hug]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
wild b states:

quote:
Betty states:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barrykind,

You are the only one who gets the so called point.
betty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes in my side

Please stop this grand ILLUSION of yours.

Definition of ILLUSION

a obsolete : the action of deceiving
b (1) : the state or fact of being intellectually deceived or misled : misapprehension (2) : an instance of such deception
a (1) : a misleading image presented to the vision (2) : something that deceives or misleads intellectually
b (1) : perception of something objectively existing in such a way as to cause misinterpretation of its actual nature (2) : hallucination 1 (3) : a pattern capable of reversible perspective

--------------------
That is all.....

What grand delusion do you think Sister Betty has willdbilly?
None.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wild b states:

quote:
Betty states:

quote:
Barrykind,

betty

Sometimes in my side

Definition of ILLUSION

b (1) : the state or fact of being intellectually deceived or misled : misapprehension (2) : an instance of such deception
a (1) : a misleading image presented to the vision (2) : something that deceives or misleads intellectually
b (1) : perception of something objectively existing in such a way as to cause misinterpretation of its actual nature (2) : hallucination 1 (3) : a pattern capable of reversible perspective

--------------------
That is all.....

What grand delusion do you think Sister Betty has willdbilly?

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Betty states:

quote:
Barrykind,

betty

Sometimes in my side [Smile]

Definition of ILLUSION

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Betty states:

quote:
Barrykind,

betty

Sometimes inmy side [Smile]

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

[hug]

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
barrykind

We didn't miss your point. But bad doctrine is not the only kind of poison...all sin is poison.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barrykind,

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

My friend, the truth is that there are many churches and individuals today, teaching things which simply cannot be found, nor are based upon God’s Holy Word! A verse here, and another there, are mixed with bits and pieces of other Scripture, to create a false doctrine. And such doctrines are just as deadly as those "gourds" which were in that "pot of stew!"

The healing remedy for the poisonous doctrines of the world, must always be the pure, unadulterated Word of God, faithfully taught and exhorted.

Carol your missing the point......and so is Wiersbe

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grace removes the curse (2 Kings 4:38-41)

Elisha visited the sons of the prophets at Gilgal during the time of the famine (8:1), and he commanded Gehazi his servant to make a stew for the men. Vegetables were scarce so some of the men went looking in the fields for herbs they could add to the stew. The student who came with a cloak filled with gourds wasn’t knowledgeable about such matters but just brought whatever looked edible. In fact, nobody knew what these gourds were!

What were the evidences that there was poison in the pot? The bitter taste of the stew was perhaps the first clue, and the men probably suffered stomach pains and nausea. There had been death in the water at Jericho (2:19-22), and now there was death in the pot at Gilgal. It had been introduced innocently by a well-meaning student, but it had to be removed. But it was a time of famine and food was scarce. Elisha dropped some flour into the pot, and the Lord removed the poison from the stew.

As far as we know, there were no poisonous plants growing in the Garden of Eden. They showed up with the thorns and thistles after Adam sinned (Gen. 3:17-19). Today, there is a great deal of “death in the pot,” for we live under the curse of the law of sin and death, and sin and death are reigning in this world (Rom. 5:14-21). But when Jesus died on the cross, He bore the curse of the law for us (Gal. 3:13), and for those who have trusted Christ, grace is reigning (Rom. 5:21) and they are “reigning in life” (Rom. 5:17). The sting of death has been removed (1 Cor. 15:50-57)!

(Wiersbe)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what we believe
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I do see Apostasy in Churches today, but some people see what is not there. Worshiping on Sunday is not Apostasy. Preaching that God has changed his mind about homosexuals is Apostasy. Preaching claim it and grab it is Apostasy. Eternal Security is not Apostasy.
betty

I agree with everything except the part about Eternal Security...a believer is only secure as he or she abides in Yahshua/Jesus

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
WildB

Quote You boys ever hear of that mustard seed? Well your daily weed seeding is never going to grow big enough for the birds of the air to take roost!

Please stop weed seeding the board.

Deuteronomy 22:9 Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB... those birds you refer to represent the world, they are evil...

you need to rightly divide the truth

Then why do you plant seed that would give those birds a place to roost....

you need to ask discretion to what seed you keep getting caught trying to plant.

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Falsely accusing others is Apostasy.
Putting law before Grace is Apostasy.

Saying this post wasn't directed at any after waging a month long false teaching spamming campaign is Apostasy.

--------------------
That is all.....

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do see Apostasy in Churches today, but some people see what is not there. Worshiping on Sunday is not Apostasy. Preaching that God has changed his mind about homosexuals is Apostasy. Preaching claim it and grab it is Apostasy. Eternal Security is not Apostasy.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty, I know there are still Church's that preach the Truth, the scriptures very clearly tell us Yahweh always has a true remnant in the earth....

but can you not see the principle of Death In The Pot....

can you not see the Apostasy prophesied to happen in the last days.....

I will guarantee you if your Pastor or Church is preaching the True Gospel , they will agree with me that any truly Born Again believer has the Law of God written on their heart, i am not saying they keep the law in a sense of legalism but that the Law is just and right and that when a Born Again believer goes contrary to the Law the Holy Spirit brings conviction over that sin.

I will also guarantee you your Pastor if is truly a Pastor understand the principle of "Death in the pot" or "Poison in the pot" as applies to false doctrine....

Barry's article pointed the finger at no one in particular...

it was a meditation about a portion of scripture...2 Kings 4:40

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
(Isaiah 55:11)

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

BHL and Barrykind,

It is kind of hard on the rest of us to find such a Church, when you are the ONLY TWO THAT KNOW THE TRUTH [Big Grin]

TRUTH IS, there are still many Churches that preach the TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL, TODAY. I know cause I go to one.
Betty

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

My friend, the truth is that there are many churches and individuals today, teaching things which simply cannot be found, nor are based upon God’s Holy Word! A verse here, and another there, are mixed with bits and pieces of other Scripture, to create a false doctrine. And such doctrines are just as deadly as those "gourds" which were in that "pot of stew!"

The healing remedy for the poisonous doctrines of the world, must always be the pure, unadulterated Word of God, faithfully taught and exhorted.

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

[thumbsup2]

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB

Quote You boys ever hear of that mustard seed? Well your daily weed seeding is never going to grow big enough for the birds of the air to take roost!

Deuteronomy 22:9 Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB... those birds you refer to represent the world, they are evil...

you need to rightly divide the truth

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You boys ever hear of that mustard seed? Well your daily weed seeding is never going to grow big enough for the birds of the air to take roost!

--------------------
That is all.....

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

[thumbsup2]

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 15 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daily Meditation
"A high-tech way to deliver God's Word"

Death In The Pot

2 Ki 4:40 Then they served it to the men to eat. Now it happened, as they were eating the stew, that they cried out and said, "Man of God, there is death in the pot!" And they could not eat it.

Unfortunately, I’ve come your way today to WARN you that for some of you, there is "death in the pot!" Let me explain: There was a famine in the land and the disciples of the prophets which were sitting before Elisha were hungry. So Elisha said to his servant, "Put on the large pot, and boil stew for the sons of the prophets."(2 Ki 4:38)

So some of the "sons of the prophets" who "were sitting before him,"(V:38) "went out into the field to gather herbs, and found a wild vine, and gathered from it a lapful of wild gourds, and came and sliced them into the pot of stew, though they did not know what they were."(V: 39)

Please understand that they had good intentions, as they went into the fields to gather "vegies" to enhance the flavor of the meal. And they came across a wild vine and picked from it wild gourds. Now, picture them as they carried as many as their garments would hold. And without understanding what they were, the gourds were sliced up and put into the pot. And when the stew was finished cooking, the meal was served.

Now, let’s bring this story home, and apply it to you. There are some of you who are being fed "death in the pot!" And it’s not always intended to be that way. In my last Meditation, I wrote about "convoluted beliefs," and that is what some of you are gorging yourself on.

I can assure you that I wouldn’t dream of going into the woods and picking mushrooms, and then eating them. Why? Because I don’t know the difference between safe, and poisonous mushrooms. I would likely end up with "death in the pot!" And the truth is that many, God-fearing, and well-meaning Christians don’t know when they are being fed "convoluted beliefs," which will poison them!

The "wild gourds" in today’s Scripture symbolize false doctrine. When scholars or preachers want to spice up the old truths of Holy Scripture with some "new" and superficially attractive embellishments, it only contaminates the "pure milk of the word."(1 Peter 2. 2) And it will which bring death to those who partake of such fatal poison.

Do you recall the parable in which Jesus spoke about "a woman" who hid some leaven "in three measures of meal till it was all leavened?"(Matt 13: 33) So it was as Elisha's creative disciples unsuspectingly added the "seemingly pleasant" ingredient, and it permeated the whole pot of stew with its deadly poison.

And then much later, the Apostle Paul emphatically asked, "Who hindered you from obeying the truth?"(Gal 5:7) And then he added, "This persuasion does not come from Him who calls you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump."(V: 8,9)

In the instance when the men unwittingly put poisonous gourds in the stew, there was a remedy. Elisha said, ""Bring some flour." And he put it into the pot, and said, "Serve it to the people, that they may eat." And there was nothing harmful in the pot."(2 Ki 4:41)

And a similar scenario occurred when Moses threw the piece of wood into the bitter waters of Mara. "Now when they came to Marah, they could not drink the waters of Marah, for they were bitter. Therefore the name of it was called Marah. And the people complained against Moses, saying, "What shall we drink?" So he cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree. When he cast it into the waters, the waters were made sweet."(Exo 15:23-25)

And the reason I’m writing to you today, is to let you know that truth always triumphs over deceit and lies. However, if you just "go with the flow," and ignore an untruth here and there, keep in mind that "a little leaven leavens the whole lump." If you think that you can cuddle up to ideas which cannot be found in God’s Word, and go unscathed, dream on; you’re living in "La-La-Land!"

Read it for yourself; it heals!

Rev. Russ

DailyMeditations@BellSouth.net

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement