Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » New Member Introductions   » Am I welcome here?

Author Topic: Am I welcome here?
*exbate*
Advanced Member
Member # 7707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *exbate*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to no more about this actually
Posts: 25 | From: scotland | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mar 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
Luk 18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

This is how I approach God. I don't try to analyze, I just accept Jesus and the Bible as a child. This said I understand knowing the answers and analyzing is important to some and I am not critical of those.

At 57 and with my health issues, I don't have the strength to over analyze things and I don't need the answers to everything.

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stoic,
You indicate:
quote:
We all form our own theology unless we adopt someone else's. We all know in part.

That is exactly why we each need the guiding and inspiring blessing of the Holy Spirit in the personal study of theology and the understanding of God's will and revelation in one's life. I may only know in "part", but I want that "part" to be God's truth and not my opinion or even that of Paul.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well stoic taximan, welcome! I am not, sometimes, so elequent with words, but I have enjoyed reading your introduction, and have an observation.
quote:
To me Stoic Philosophy (less the metaphysics) is basically a commentary on human nature as God intended. I use it as a tool to understand certain biblical concepts, much like how a pastor develops his sermons and injects his commentary. For because theology is influenced by the philosophy of the one who is teaching the theology, doctrine then becomes unique by whom is lecturing on it.

In that regard, I am just being honest in admitting where it is I am coming from when I comment on my Christian experiences.

For example, the subject of anger. God tells us to be angry, and sin not. Are we to just choke down our anger when an external event provokes us? or is there some anger management skills that we can practice in order to prevent us from becoming temporarily full of rage? One of the skills I have developed with the help of Stoic philosophy is that if I am angry, it is my *opinion* of the event that provokes me, not the event itself, and if I just adjust my perception, then I can accept the event as something that is out of my control and in Gods hands.

On human nature "as God intended," I would have to reply that our nature is to be replaced with His nature. Simply! This happens the only way anything happens, which is through faith. It was not intended that we should control, or conquer our 'old nature'. It is to be crucified. That occurs through faith in being baptized into His death, and necessarily, as it follows, His resurrection. His resurrection of course means to us that 'HE' lives (through us), not us.

Skipping down to the bottom of what I quoted from what you were relating, I dearly loved this mention: "then I can accept the event as something that is out of my control and in Gods hands." That, Paul would say, is the essence of relationship, 'if' carried to its conclusion. It is the essence of being under the Cross. For until one allows all events to be in HIS hands, one is not truly under the Cross, and struggles in the flesh (and against God). Therefore one would be found to be truly submitted if he accepted this reality, and He would therefore please God. For HE depends not upon us to overcome, but to, by submission, 'accept' HIS overcoming. And it is as simple as letting all be in His control. Then as a matter of course, we will be able in each circumstance, to follow His will, for we will know it.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stoic taximan
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TB125, Bob
Yes that is the philosophy I follow. I believe Jesus was the best Stoic. Although he had moments of intense emotions, he was still in control of those emotions in a way that no one is able.

Jesus being under extreme emotional stress was able to clearly see circumstances in the correct light, himself actually, and who else would have been able to?

To deny that a lecturer has no philosophical influence on the theology he is lecturing on is irrational, because if the lecturer only reads verbatim, then he avoids injecting his own philosophy, thus he is not a lecturer, but just reading or quoting another who is a lecturer.

We all form our own theology unless we adopt someone else's. We all know in part.

Heb 13:3

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stoic taximan
unregistered

Thank you Carol and Betty,
Stoic philosophy promotes the building of the four virtues, ** prudence, justice, fortitude, and temperance** (pointed out by Plato, and Aristotle) which the Catholic church eventually adopted and added three others, **faith, hope and charity** to make the seven virtues. Each one of these virtues is heavily discussed in bible literature.

I believe when the Holy spirit indwells us, he adds the three virtues and gives us added power we already posses to build the other four. That God given power is in our reasoning abilities. Rationality is a Gift of God, and irrationality is a part of our fallen nature.

I have seen Christians actually reason themselves right into irrational positions. They tend to trust in emotions thinking they are practicing more faith, yet the emotions are cognitive and give them a twisted view of circumstances. This emotional based viewpoint then becomes their opinion, and they make poor judgments in their lives.

Stoic philosophy tells me that in order to be a virtues person, I must be on the track of moral progress, and Knowing Jesus and his teachings paints me a picture of what moral progress looks like. The Stoics just called it goodness and Christianity calls it a sinless life.

Although the blood of Jesus washes away our sins, and thus makes us sinless, we still need to practice goodness and faith, and with our reasoning skills we are better skilled to do the things God asks us.

The Stoic Christian understands the dangers of certain human weaknesses that a Christian psychologist would see, and any time we visit a therapist there is some form of philosophy influencing that counsel. I believe Stoic philosophy is the best way to explain the practical idea's of many of the commands God has given us.

Again do we just choke down our anger and frustrations, or do we practice a method of reason that God has given us, to eliminate anger from our souls?

peace

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Stoic taximan,
You will find a variety of Christians and some non-Christians on this forum. We sometimes get into lengthy somewhat confusing discussions regarding various theological and biblical topics and doctrines.

From my notes on "Basic Philosophy" by Albert Hofstadter of Columbia University in the Data-Guide for 1955 Stocism is described this way:
quote:
Nature a rational whole; man a rational fragment. Man's happiness lies in following Nature's law. Man's essential freedom: rational capacity to affirm or deny what Nature (Divine Reason) rules to be. Man's virtue: affirm Nature, conform to Nature. Man's happiness: rational self-discipline, apathy (absolute control of desires, emotions) (Epictetus, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius).
Is this basically the philosophy that you have blended with Christianity? It appears to be, because you indicate:
quote:
because theology is influenced by the philosophy of the one who is teaching the theology, doctrine then becomes unique by whom is lecturing on it.

I and some other participants in this forum will probably have some trouble with any teachings that make "theology" the subjective opinion of the "lecturer", teacher, or poster on forums like this one. I believe that Nature and man's capacity for rational thought has been corrupted by sin, and these can't be healed apart from the transforming work of God's Holy Spirit, who is more than "Divine Reason".

But feel free to share your insights and questions. One of the basic rules of the moderator, I believe, is that participants remain courteous to each other in their discussions and avoid any personal insulting comments. Individuals may disagree with you, but we should all try to refrain from being disagreeable. So join the discussions or start a new one. Hopefully we can learn from each other.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am like Carol, in that it is not me who should say
who stays or goes. I believe that as long as you treat us with respect you should be okay. Personally, I do not have a problem with hearing other people's views that are different then mine, as long as I am extended the same respect.

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stoic taximan. Welcome to the Christian BBS

It isn't up to me to decide who stays and who doesn't, but since I'm here I'll extend my welcome.

I am interested in what you have to say. I don't know enough about Stoic Philosophy yet to say anymore about it. We love our Lord Jesus Christ - He is Lord and Savior. We believe we are indwelt by His Holy Spirit. We believe the Holy Bible is the Word of God. We believe in Heaven and Hell. Aside from this, we represent many different points of view.

How about if you join one of the ongoing discussions?

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stoic taximan
unregistered

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I am a married father of three boys who are teens and older, I have been a Christian for over 30 years, married for 22 years.

I am what I consider a Stoic Christian, and have had some trouble in the past with other message boards accepting my input. I am a Born again Christian who ascribes to an ancient philosophy known as Stoic philosophy.

The last message board I tried to share on had absolutely no interest in what I have to say, and severely restricted my correspondence, I graciously told them good bye and I will not bother them ever again.

Before I invest too much time here, I want to know if this group of moderators are mature enough to hear what I am about without putting me in a virtual jail, and condemning me.

In a nut shell, Stoic philosophy was the mainstream way of thought in the Hellenistic period where Jesus was born and grew up, in my opinion is it the reasoning process which God gave to us as a gift in order to reason with Jesus as he asks us to do.

To me Stoic Philosophy (less the metaphysics) is basically a commentary on human nature as God intended. I use it as a tool to understand certain biblical concepts, much like how a pastor develops his sermons and injects his commentary. For because theology is influenced by the philosophy of the one who is teaching the theology, doctrine then becomes unique by whom is lecturing on it.

In that regard, I am just being honest in admitting where it is I am coming from when I comment on my Christian experiences.

For example, the subject of anger. God tells us to be angry, and sin not. Are we to just choke down our anger when an external event provokes us? or is there some anger management skills that we can practice in order to prevent us from becoming temporarily full of rage? One of the skills I have developed with the help of Stoic philosophy is that if I am angry, it is my *opinion* of the event that provokes me, not the event itself, and if I just adjust my perception, then I can accept the event as something that is out of my control and in Gods hands.

Through this reasoning skill, I then can be at ease and practice my faith that Gods will is being executed.

That is a small sample of what Stoic philosophy has done for me. For years I was tormented with anger ,anxiety and depression and God led me to this way of thinking in order to make me what he wants me to be.

If this community is willing to accept me as a Christian, who may have some unorthodox views of life, then I will stay. If not let me know now, and I will calmly go.

Thank you
peace

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement