Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

Author Topic: Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing. I plan on renting it and watching it, too.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackanapes
Member # 5243

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jackanapes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a 34 year old man, I grew up watching the 1971 film, and loved reading the book as well, so this remake wasn't anything I was looking forward to. I remember seeing it advertised early in the week in the TV guide back then, and how excited I'd get waiting for the night it would air.

Gene Wilder's performance was the stuff of true tinseltown magic to me, and is one of the reasons I continue to pay the inflated cost of a movie ticket these days. All too rarely does that occur as I, and others like me walk out the theater with that look on our faces like we just drove by a horrible car wreck on the freeway.

I was sure that Charlie & the Chocolate Factory would be much of the same tripe that appears in the cineplexes every week, but my four year old daughter wanted to see this awful bad so I relented, and took her to see it.

I was wrong.

Although I still feel the one I grew up with was superior, I feel that the 2005 version has charms of it's own, and adds just the right changes while provides the viewer with plenty of elements from the original.

One aspect of it that clearly outclassed the first one was the music. My darling daughter could hardly sit still during the songs, and danced herself silly during most of the Oompa-Loompa's musical numbers.

Those of you looking for themes, symbolism, and substance will be treated to what you will derive from it, but I'm sure I was on the same page as my little girl who thoroughly enjoyed the eye-candy provided as pure entertainment. I'm so disgusted with all the computer generated images that choke the screens with cartoony images that just look fake as can be, so this film was a real treat, having not built it's world on green screen sets, but real ones!

Now that it's on DVD, I'm sure I'll be purchasing it for her for Christmas, but I have a feeling that it'll be a tiny bit my present to me as well. [Wink]

By the way, my name is Curt, and if you haven't read my intro I'll take this opprtunity to say "Hello!".

Posts: 6 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement