Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » No Fundy for "SDJ"

Author Topic: No Fundy for "SDJ"
Paradox101
Member # 5112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paradox101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F.Y.I.: as I was surfing past some crazy woman in
Texas with a blog about her own Jesus sightings
(www.motherharper.com), I came upon this notice from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, that they have officially given the kiss of death and condemned the feature film “Screen Door Jesus,” opening in limited release in theaters in Texas.

God forbid! I saw this film at the St. Louis
International Film Festival where it had the audience rolling in the aisles, and the Q & A afterwards with the director and cast lasted almost 2 hours! They had to practically throw us out so they'd have time to clean the room for the next screening. “Screen Door Jesus” dares to deal with opposing sides of some familiar parables. The filmmakers are "Guilty", these Bishops say, of the immortal sin of “irreverent and irreligious humor.”

And if those weren't damning enough, they've added the most insidious charge of all, using “shadowy suggested nudity,” where (like most of us heathens), I assume they would have preferred the full monty.

Smokescreens aside, “Screen Door Jesus” is a funny and entertaining movie of substance, one where it's cool to talk about religious, moral and sexual issues, and one where you have a diversified and realistic assortment of local characters, who yes, - like to drink and curse a little too much- but who in Texas doesn't know people like this? They're your neighbors, fellow churchgoers, even your relatives.

Which brings us to their greatest crime of all,
getting people to think, to use their brains,
especially at the movies. This means you might
actually remember something of substance more than
twenty minutes after leaving the multiplex. How
absolutely sinful!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement