Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » the movie industry

Author Topic: the movie industry
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my problem with most new movies is profanity. We usually watch animated movies now.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NazerethNBeyond
Member # 4783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NazerethNBeyond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I apologize for the delay.

I think that it's interesting how you note all of the older uses for a movie theatre rather than just a viewing venue. We definitely do not use it for any of those events anymore..wish we did sometimes.

I think the whole demise of the theatre industry can be attributed to the high costs and the fact that people are just plain lazy. We no longer want to actually get up and go look for a movie time and see a movie..we want to download it for free or wait till the DVD comes out. That's the main problem. That's why I think theatres are trying to recreate the whole "going to the movie" experience..similar to the old Drive-In experience. Some theatres have VIP sections and actual waitresses in the theatre during a movie showing. I don't know..I think it will be okay but with the recent slump..I'm not sure how they will recover.

"A true friend stabs you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to have misread you. You were referring to the actual theaters as an industry, not the film industry per se.

Well, how about this... you know theaters used to be more than just a place to see a movie. They used to be for all sorts of public events, from town meetings to swat meets to live theater performances. I don't think people go in for that sort of thing anymore... I mean, that thing for its own sake.

Do you think the demise of theaters is the last gasp of that old tradition? And the grand old theaters just don't seem to have a place anymore, except aping the same fare offered at the mall cineplex, or as an "art" theater. It's sad.

Even in the context of my original misreading of your point--the DVD industry should simply just mean a cheaper way to show films; I've seen digitally projected movies up on the big screen.

So I guess the bigger question might be, are we simply bored with the slower, thoughtful pace of going to the theater as opposed to popping a disc onto a player?

Let me know if I am still off track--I was just trying to expound on your opener.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NazerethNBeyond
Member # 4783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NazerethNBeyond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally, my intent was to discuss the demise of the movie theatre industry. You are right in saying that the studio makes alot of money from DVD sales. however, the theatres themselves are trying to run promotions and create a better "atmosphere" in order to promote and increase attendance.

Ultimately, it's always based on the quality of the movie and how expensive the movie ticket is!!!

"A true friend stabs you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a person who (at least at one time) made a wage in the movie industry, I tend to think that the "DVD Threat" is somewhat bogus. It's propaganda.

The movie industry certainly did not suffer from the emergence of home video, although way back at the time there was a lot of Chicken Little type screaming. In fact, most of the revenue a given film generates is from DVD/Video sales, and tie-in products. The box office receipts are just the first phase of the income. In the old days, it was the only source until a film went to television, but all that is completely changed now.

Walk in to any video/dvd outlet, survey all the incredible range of tie-in merchandise, clothing, toys, etc... and the huge selection of available films and shows on DVD. Nobody's going broke, except the hopeless home video addict [Frown]

Also, consider that more and more older films that haven't seen the light of day in years, are enjoying a second life thanks to the DVD industry--which is attached to the movie industry at the hip. Someone is making that money.

Then consider that the Indy film industry is actually becoming a major player at neighborhood theaters, and on home DVD.

Hollywood's real problem is something they are in denial about, and using the DVD revolution as a scapegoat. They aren't producing quality product anymore. People are staying away from the theaters more and more because what's playing is substandard. Expensively made, but poorly conceived. And where can they watch something that pleases them, if Hollywood is losing that edge? At home. Their favorite films are on DVD, readily available. I'd hate to say "it's that simple," since there are obviously other elements to consider, but the bigger picture is just that.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NazerethNBeyond
Member # 4783

Hey all,

Recently I read that AMC is buying Loews (both famous movie chains). Basically, the strategy is to eliminate any competition within the movie chains and focus their attention on increasing the movie theatre audience to combat the increasing popularity of DVDs. Overall, the movie industry is losing lots of money. What do you all think of this?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement