Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » What crosses the line? Monty Python's "Life Of Brian"

Author Topic: What crosses the line? Monty Python's "Life Of Brian"
Shofar
Advanced Member
Member # 4788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shofar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Mohawk,

I saw "The Life of Brian" many many moons ago. I was rather surprised that it did NOT poke fun of Our Lord Jesus Christ - all things considered.

It made me stop and think how easily it is to spread false doctrine and how gullible we can be to follow with "itchy" ears.

What the movie did not portray was the work of the Holy Spirit surrounding the life of Jesus Christ to bring TRUTH and CONVICTION to those who would hear.

As stated previously, I saw the movie many many moons ago and would NOT sit through it again. If anything, eventhough it doesn't directly poke fun at Jesus, it accomplishes what I believe it set out to do: deceive the audience into believing that "any" belief system is foolish.

--------------------
Shofar

Posts: 24 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that such a movie shouldn't be watched.

Now "O God" with George Burns and "Bruce Almighty" with Jim Carrey didn't downplay the deity of God, even though they were comedies.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mohawk,

I agree with you. That movie was poking fun at God. I don't think it should be watched.

2 cents......

[type]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A topic in conversation today with some lunch pals was the film "Monty Python's Life Of Brian."

One of my friends stated the film was blasphemous. I commented that it possibly was, but not directly. That the subject of the film was not Jesus, although Jesus is portrayed briefly in the movie, in a scene involving the Sermon on the Mount. My point was that the film was more a satire on organized religion, in general, and not necessarily a direct attack on Christianity. Although, it may be argued that the film ends with a scene that pokes sarcastically at the crucifixion--and there, we may be talking about genuine blasphemy--but I wasn't certain. Some more voices are necessary here obviously.

My other point was that anytime one feels subconsciously uncomfortable about humor that may involve religious or biblical material, it is best to follow your instincts and switch the channel, turn it off, etc. If one is not moved to speak up. That is between each of us and the Holy Spirit. Am I off? Comments?

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement