Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » STAR WARS

Author Topic: STAR WARS
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buddhism is a very prevelant philosophy in Star Wars. As someone who practiced Buddhism and with a M.A. in philosophy this is what I know.

The Jedi Knights use meditation and concentration tactics used by the Japanese Samurai who were practictioners of Zen Buddhism.

The influence of Japanese themes on Star Wars is enormous. George Lucas has mentioned on many occasions that he has been highly influenced by the seminal Japanese director Akira Kurosawa (who was influenced by American Westerns); indeed anyone who watches Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and Hidden Fortress can attest to the similarities in plot, camera technique, and shot placement. In an interview for the Criterion release of Hidden Fortress Lucas mentions that he borrowed the idea of telling Star Wars from the perspective of the "lowest characters" (in Star Wars C-3P0 and R2D2; in Hidden Fortress, the two peasants) from Kurosawa.

Historically, much of the groundwork for the Jedi in Star Wars are from Japanese samurai. The Jedi are an enlightened class, meant to preserve peace, as were the samurai, in theory. Like their historical forbearers, the Jedi belong to a strong brotherhood, an order of educated warriors, with training in both battle and education. And the distinctive light sabers are little more than Japanese katana in a sci-fi setting. The highly ritualized battles are little more than Japanese kendo. Darth Vader's helmet is based on samurai helmet. The look of Episode I's Darth Maul is based heavily on ancient Japanese myths and dramas, especially drama masks. The Queen of Naboo's ornate costumes are highly reminiscent of Japanese kimono, while her white face paint is "geisha wear." The force is little more (especially in the original trilogy) the martial arts concept of chi or ki (as any Dragon Ball Z fan can attest to). The period of war in Star Wars is very similar to Japan's Period of Warring Nation.

Star Wars was also heavily influenced by the Lensmen books, which in turn were made into anime - a strong sense of the sci-fi elements that influenced anime and Star Wars. The original Star Wars film, A New Hope made its first appearance at the same period as some early mech anime - Gundam and Macross. Though Space Battle Ship Yamamoto came out shortly before Star Wars the popularity of the film helped Leiji Matsumoto's space opera, and led to the creation of other series; Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999 among them.

In a reciprocal sense, Star Wars has had a major influence on contemporary Japanese media, especially anime. The fanboys who watched Star Wars in the 70s have grown up, and the anime they create harkens back to the boyhood ideals of heroes and villains of Star Wars. There have been many such series, including the space battles and politics of Gundam (which is often called the "Star Wars of Japan"). The Gundams were one of the first anime characters to use light sabers (the "beam swords"). Additionally, Mobile Suit Gundam's and Gundam Wing's use of a "chosen boy" recalls Luke Skywalker, while the epic space battles recall the important battles in Star Wars. Gundam also has a rich political backstory - the fighting between the Earth Federation and the Zeon which is similar to Star Wars's (at first only hinted at) story of the Clone Wars, the Old and New Republics, and the rise of the Empire.

Tenchi-Muyo! is another such series, which started out as an I Dream of Jeannie parody. In fact, Tenchi has another chosen boy fighting the mighty emperor (presented in the TV series), a theme that is heavily indebted to Star Wars. Check out Tenchi's light saber for a distinctive nod to the Lucas films. In video games, one can see the parallels - Final Fantasy VI has a very similar plot and a similar cast of characters - Celes, the "traitorous" princess, and Locke the noble rogue. The game (and most Final Fantasy games, in their original Japanese) features a duo of Biggs and Wedge; two pilots who flew the first Death Star trench run with Luke. In fact, Star Wars is so influential and popular in Japan that a manga of the original trilogy was created. Dark Horse commissioned the series and later asked Kia Asamiya to do an adaptation of The Phantom Menace.

Hopefully, what that means is, in ten or twenty years, we'll have a new crop of young anime writers and directors, influenced by this trilogy and itching to synthesize Lucas' ideas into something grand and new.

SOME OF THIS POST I FOUND ON THE NET AND IS NOT MINE. ( [Roll Eyes] jus caint member wat [pound] )

[dance]

--------------------
JAVA, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."

Posts: 147 | From: Columbia South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if any "religion" could be found directly in Star Wars, I'd venture to call it unitarian. [Big Grin]

But seriously, folks... I do know that Lucas's original concept for Star Wars sprang from his readings of Joseph Campbell ("The Hero With A Thousand Faces," which is not necessarily a Christian-friendly book, granted). But I think as the Star Wars series has expanded and grown, it has become a prism through which many different belief systems are reflected. It has always struck me as "spiritual" anyway, if no individual religion is directly referred -- plus, many of the characters do seem to look like they belong in a religious film (flowing robes and lots of debating of good and evil?)

And if I may make the stretch... isn't there a kind of light saber used by an angel in Genesis? God beat George Lucas to that one by eons!! [Cool]

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurye
Community Member
Member # 4733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Episode III opening day. It was amazing. There were some parts that almost made me cry.
Posts: 16 | From: Chicago, IL. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I haven't seen the latest Star Wars movie it sounds like a very good and enjoyable movie.

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 21 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good link on Star Wars:

http://christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2005/starwars3.html

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a big article on Lucas in the USA Today not long ago & they said that he uses things from many religions in the Star Wars movies.

I did a quick search & here are a couple links:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2005-05-19-sith-easter-eggs_x.htm

•Holy filmmaking, George. Religion has always played a part in the space opera, and never more so than in Sith. In addition to Yoda's Taoist preaching, Lucas plays with life beyond the grave, the virgin birth and a climactic scene full of fire and brimstone. And listen for the order that the Emperor gives to destroy all Jedi.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2005-05-18-dharma-of-star-wars_x.htm

Posted 5/18/2005 8:45 PM

Looking to discover your inner Yoda? Or maybe suppress your inner Jar Jar?
A lot of the dialogue of the Jedi, about mindfulness and letting go, is all Buddhist jargon," says Dharma author Matthew Bortolin.

New books that dissect and interpret the spiritual and philosophical underpinnings of the Star Wars movies are ready to help. "George Lucas intentionally created movies that universally appeal to people in a spiritual sense," says Matthew Bortolin, 31, a practicing Buddhist and author of The Dharma of Star Wars (Wisdom, $14.95). "A lot of the dialogue of the Jedi, about mindfulness and letting go, is all Buddhist jargon," he says. In the first Star Wars trilogy, Bortolin says, the story line in which Yoda, the Jedi master, sends young Luke Skywalker into a cave to contemplate his untapped Jedi powers is also very Buddhist in nature — "the meditation and taking time to confront oneself." Christians have their own interpretations."When we first meet Luke, he's a clueless kid," says Dick Staub, 57, author of Christian Wisdom of the Jedi Masters (Jossey-Bass, $16.95). "He doesn't know the Force exists, and yet it's all around him and eventually becomes the passion and focus of his life. "I followed it through the teachings of Jesus as a metaphor for a spiritual journey that any young person would make." He also points to the scene in The Empire Strikes Back in which Skywalker is trying to use the Force to lift a starfighter craft out of the swamp. The frustrated Skywalker tells Yoda that he's trying to do it, and Yoda says: "Do or do not. There is no try." "It reminds me," Staub says, "of something Jesus was talking about when he told his followers not to be just hearers of the words, but to be doers. A spiritual journey is not just a 'try it' kind of thing."

Among other books that deal with the topic:
• Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine, edited by Kevin Decker, Jason Eberl and William Irwin (Open Court, $17.95). Essays dissect the films' philosophical questions.
• The Tao of Star Wars by John M. Porter (Humanics Trade, $17.95). Explains basic Tao principles and beliefs through the films' characters, plots and symbols.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess there is a lot of everything in Star Wars.

Depends on how you look at it.

I saw a lot of bible in it. But I guest if you are looking for something wrong with it, it can can easly be found.

All depends on your frame of mind.

Have you ever seen this website?

http://www.movieglimpse.com

Very good website. I have met the lady that writes the articles in person.

[type]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reviews have said that there is a strong Buddhism influence in the Star Wars movies. Is this true?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
Advanced Member
Member # 4661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Favor Minded   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a great show I thought -

Brought all 6 together perfectly for us Star Wars fans and a great depiction of good against eveil and the power that evil can have if we allow it to get a foot hold...

--------------------
Matthew 24:36
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father

Posts: 129 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has any one seen STAR WARS - EPISODES III?

I saw it yesterday.

WOW what a depiction of hell. The deception of Satan. All played out in vivid color.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement