Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » ABC News: The Resurrection of Jesus Christ

Author Topic: ABC News: The Resurrection of Jesus Christ
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 16 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another sign of the times. The apostacy.

[dance]

--------------------
JAVA, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."

Posts: 147 | From: Columbia South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 21 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I posted on it several times my username on there is knowHimOnline
Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
Well I don't think this is going to be for the RESURRECTION.

But it is going to air on ABC on May 20th.

So if anyone one here would like to go with me to the ABC message boards and help me post the truth, pray, etc.... It would be nice.

http://forums.go.com/abcnews/2020/forum?start=0&forumID=14&byThread=true

Thanks,
David

Hey David, I went to that site. There is a lot of blind people on there. I posted a few comments...That abc special has really influnced them, it is madness on that board.

Did you post on there? If so, what is your username on there?

...Mine is Gospelchick05.

Praise God... [spiny]

Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I barely saw the special, I turned from it by the first commercial...

Shows like that one causes division and doubt among many people. I don't like it when people express beliefs that are contrary to the Word of God in order to cause others to believe lies. That special disgusted me. [Razz]

I did not like it at all...it made the truth seem like just another religion.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here’s a sample from ABC of what’s going to be on it. For the Major Part - Not Good!!!

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/print?id=745521

Was Jesus Really Resurrected?

What the Featured Scholars Think

May. 11, 2005 - In a special "20/20" hour, Elizabeth Vargas travels to the Holy Land and talks to scholars, writers and theologians about the mystery at the heart of the Christian faith.

Below are brief biographies of those included in the special report, which airs Friday, May 20 at 10 p.m. ET /9 Central on "20/20."

Albert Baumgarten
Professor, Bar Ilan University in Jerusalem
Baumgarten's expertise is in the application of social scientific methods to writing Jewish history and the history of Second Temple Judaism.
"The people who crucified Jesus and wanted him removed were almost certainly working on the assumption which is if you have a movement like this, and you get rid of the leader, eventually the movement collapses. It normally works. What makes the Jesus story so interesting and so different, is that the usual expectation that the movement will collapse did not take place."
Kathleen E. Corley
Oshkosh Northwestern Distinguished Professor of New Testament, University of Wisconsin-OshKosh
Corley is the author of "Women and the Historical Jesus"
"I think that his women followers would have looked for his body to give him burial rites as much as they possibly could. I think they were unsuccessful in finding his -- the location of his body because I think Jesus was probably buried in a criminal's grave that would have been a large pit for a large number of people."

William Lane Craig
research professor, Talbot School of Theology in La Miranda, Calif.
Craig is the author of "The Son Rises"
"Jesus took off the grave clothes and unbound himself. He probably would've literally got up and ... and shed these grave clothes and walked out of the tomb. He would be palpable, he would be physical. He would be tangible."

Arthur Dewey
professor of Theology, Xavier University in Cincinnati
Dewey is the author of "Spirit and Letter in Paul" and "The World in Time"
"As a historian, one could say, that there was no Resurrection as a fact. What we can say is that, people claim to have visions. People claim to, uh, have as it was -- sightings -- post-mortem sightings, of Jesus."

Luke Timothy Johnson
R.W. Woodruff Professor of New Testament and Christian Origins, Emory University
Johnson's books include "The Creed" and "The Real Jesus"
"I must respectfully suggest that those who are obsessed about the physicality of the resurrection don't really understand what they're talking about. Because if they really get a purely physical resurrection, then all they have is a resuscitation, and that's not good news."

Karen L. King
Winn Professor of Ecclesiastical History, Harvard Divinity School
King is the author of "The Gospel of Mary of Magdala" and "What Is Gnosticism?"
"I don't believe it was a physical resurrection exactly in the way we understand the body today-we have Jesus walking through walls -- those kinds of experiences suggest not the kind of physical body that we would see today. But something that if we have to use our categories would look much more like a visionary experience."

Paul L. Maier
Russell H. Seibert Professor of Ancient History, Western Michigan University
Maier's books include "In the Fullness of Time" and "Pontius Pilate"
"If the body had been discovered, there would be no Christian church today. It would have died out as a little sect in the Judean wilderness probably and everybody would have laughed about a crucified criminal being the son of God, come on."

Rev. Richard P. McBrien
Crowley-O'Brien Professor of Roman Catholic Theology, University of Notre Dame
McBrien's books include "Catholicism, Lives of the Popes," and he is the general editor of the HarperCollins "Catholic Encyclopedia."
"If they had digital cameras in those days, and they took ... tried to take a photo of Jesus, you know, 'Get over there with Peter ... would you stand with Mary Magdalene? This would make a great shot. I mean, no one will ever believe this.' You take a photo of that scene and you'd get Peter and Mary Magdalene, but not Jesus."

Father Jerome Murphy-O'Connor
Ordained Roman Catholic Priest, Professor of New Testament, Ecole Biblique et Archeologique Francais in Jerusalem
Murphy-O'Connor's books include "Paul: His Story" and The Oxford Press Archaeological Guidebook, "The Holy Land"
"See, from my point of view, that resurrection is part of nature, and it's not normal, but it's not absolutely impossible either. How do we know what the laws of nature are, is the question that should be asked."

Daniel Schwartz
professor of history, Hebrew University in Jerusalem
Schwartz's research interests include Jewish history in the Second Temple Period with special emphasis on the origins of Christianity.
"So the people who wanted very much to believe that Jesus was the coming redeemer of Israel, saw something perhaps as minimal as an empty tomb and it fit into what they wanted to believe. And when people want to believe things, they believe it. Beyond that, I have no idea. There are lots of mysteries in this world."

Lee Strobel
A former teaching pastor at two of America's largest churches, Strobel now hosts "Faith Under Fire" on PAX television. He is the author of "The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith"
"If the world view is, this is only a material world, and there can be no outside intervention, then, yeah, you got a problem explaining the Resurrection, because there is no naturalistic way that Jesus rose from the dead. It's ... it's not possible. But, if we open ourselves up to the possibility that God exists, and created the universe. If God exists and created the universe, this is child's play for him."

Bishop John Shelby Spong
Episcopal Bishop Emeritus of Newark, N.J.
Spong's books include "The Sins of Scripture" and "Resurrection: Myth or Reality"
"I don't think that most of the Resurrection narratives in the New Testament are historical at all. But I don't think there would have been a New Testament or a Jesus movement had there not been some astonishing experience of power. That caused these people to see Jesus in a way they had never seen him before."

Ben Witherington III
professor of New Testament, Asbury Theological Seminary, Kentucky
Witherington's books include "The Jesus Quest," "The Gospel Code" and "The New Testament Story"
As a historian, you have to really be like Sherlock Holmes and say what best explains the phenomena. And the answer to that question is, I think, beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt, that what best explains the rise of early Christianity is the actual death and resurrection of Jesus, which led almost immediately, very early on to a worshipping of Jesus as the risen Lord.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 2 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted the below there for starters:

As Chuck Colson reported in his BreakPoint commentary (April 19, 2001),
philosopher J. P.Moreland was once asked, “Can you give me five pieces of
solid circumstantial evidence that convince you Jesus rose from the dead?”
(Circumstantial evidence is an accumulation of facts from which one can
draw intelligent conclusions.)

Certainly,Moreland responded. First, there’s the evidence of the skeptics.
Some of those who were most hostile to Jesus prior to his death became
his most ardent supporters afterwards.

Second, the ancient Jews had a number of immensely important religious
rituals. These included the offering of animal sacrifices, obeying the
Mosaic law, and keeping the Sabbath. But within five weeks of Jesus’ death,
more than 10,000 Jews had suddenly altered or abandoned these rituals.
Moreland asked:Why would they relinquish rites that had long given them
their national identity? The implication is that something enormously
significant had occurred.

Third, we see the emergence of new rituals: the sacraments of communion
and baptism. The early Jews baptized in the name of the Father,
the Son, and the Holy Spirit, “which,” Moreland said, “meant they had
elevated Jesus to the full status of God.”

Fourth, we see the rapid rise of a new church, beginning shortly after
the death of Jesus. Within twenty years, this new church—begun by the
companions of a dead carpenter—had reached Caesar’s palace in Rome,
and eventually spread throughout the Roman Empire.

And fifth, Moreland said, there’s the most convincing circumstantial
evidence of all: the fact that every one of Jesus’ disciples was willing to suffer
and die for his beliefs. These men spent the rest of their lives witnessing
about Christ. They frequently went without food; they were mocked,
beaten, and thrown into prison. In the end, all but one died a painful
martyr’s death.

Would they have done this for a lie? Of course not. They did it because
they were convinced beyond a doubt that they had seen the risen
Christ.

Even if we doubted 2,000-year-old evidence, we have all the circumstantial
evidence we could possibly want—right in front of us. It is, as
Moreland said, “the ongoing encounter with the resurrected Christ that
happens all over the world, in every culture, to people from all kinds of
backgrounds and personalities. They all will testify that more than any
single thing in their lives, Jesus Christ has changed them.”

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I don't think this is going to be for the RESURRECTION.

But it is going to air on ABC on May 20th.

So if anyone one here would like to go with me to the ABC message boards and help me post the truth, pray, etc.... It would be nice.

http://forums.go.com/abcnews/2020/forum?start=0&forumID=14&byThread=true

Thanks,
David

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Sis!!!

They turn their hearts away and avert their eyes from the truth, and die of "thirst" with the rivers of Living Water as close as their very next breath.

With all of this higher Biblical knowledge, and scientific analysis, I wonder how many will be led astray?

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
May 10, 2005 -- Did Jesus rise from the dead? The stories of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ inspire faith and fuel controversy to this day. But what do we know about what really happened on that first Easter almost 2,000 years ago, a day that changed the course of history?
Well, perhaps we wont even go there about when the first easter was, but as for what they REALLY know about what happened at the tomb, if it does not come from the Scripture discerned by the Power of the Holy Spirit, they really do not know anything!

And knowledge with out faith, wisdom and understanding is just knowledge. There is no shortage of knowledge in this world. But Faith, wisdom and understanding. I think a famine cometh.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article is already posting disinformation:

quote:
The Bible says that after Jesus died, his mother and other women who had followed him actually took his body down off the cross and that he was laid to rest in a tomb owned by Joseph of Arimathea.

Luke 23:

52: This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
53: And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.

John 19:

38: And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus.
39: And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.
40: Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.
41: Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.
42: There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

Mark 15:

43: Joseph of Arimathaea, and honourable counseller, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.
44: And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead.
45: And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.
46: And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.
47: And Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid.

Matt. 27:

57: When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:
58: He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.
59: And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
60: And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
61: And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre.

I feel that this will be a presentation from secular "brillance", and will not only be contrary to scripture, but will serve to undermine the faith of the new and nominal Christian.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 20 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know anything other then the below about this upcoming show on ABC? I am just wondering if it will be a positive show for the belief in the Resurrection of Jesus.

-----------------------------------
Perspectives on the Resurrection - Did Jesus rise from the dead?

Did Jesus rise from the dead? The stories of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ inspire faith and fuel controversy to this day. But what do we know about what really happened on that first Easter almost 2,000 years ago, a day that changed the course of history? Check out an in-depth exploration on "20/20," Friday, May 20, at 10 p.m.

------------------------
Did Jesus rise from the dead? The stories of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ inspire faith and fuel controversy to this day. But what do we know about what really happened on that first Easter almost 2,000 years ago, a day that changed the course of history?

"He probably literally got up and walked out of the tomb."
— William Lane Craig, Talbot School of Theology

"I think it was visions or hallucinations."
— Kathleen E. Corley, Jesus Seminar

"Something definitely happened."
— Daniel Schwartz, Hebrew University

In a special hour on "20/20," Elizabeth Vargas and ABC News take viewers on an extraordinary journey into the heart of the debate where it all began in Jerusalem in search of the truth about the story that is at the core of the Christian faith … the Resurrection.

Vargas asks scholars, theologians and archeologists the questions millions of faithful and interested Americans might have pondered: Was the tomb empty? Did Jesus physically walk the Earth after his death? Or were his followers just dreaming?

Sometime between the year 30 and 33 of the first century, a young Jewish preacher named Jesus of Nazareth was crucified in Jerusalem. It was a brutal and humiliating death that should have ended his tiny movement right there. And yet his followers carried on, planting the seeds of a religion that would eventually rule the Western world. What convinced them to continue? The Bible says that after Jesus died, his mother and other women who had followed him actually took his body down off the cross and that he was laid to rest in a tomb owned by Joseph of Arimathea. What happened next is a mystery.

Vargas also interviews Jewish scholars in Jerusalem who are experts in the history of the early Christian movement there. Professor Daniel Schwartz of Hebrew University and professor Albert Baumgarten of Bar Ilan University help shed light on the mindset of the first followers of Jesus. While neither obviously believes a physical resurrection occurred, both concur that something extraordinary took place shortly after Jesus' death. "I think definitely something happened," said Schwartz of Hebrew University in Jerusalem, "I don't know how they convinced themselves. But the historical fact is, you've got people who are convinced he was resurrected."

http://www.hypemakers.net/resurrection/index.php?code=2891

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Resurrection/story?id=744818

[type]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement