Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » Gospel of John

Author Topic: Gospel of John
saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saintbygrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I STAND FIRMLY that it is a Biblical FACT that the movie The Gospel of John is a more powerful than the movie The Passion.

(Romans 10:17 NASB) So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

You didn't hear God's word being spoken in The Passion (unless you understood Arameic or Latin, and even then very little scripture),
but The Gospel of John was WORD FOR WORD from the Bible

(Hebrews 4:12 NASB) For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 NASB
(16) All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
(17) so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

--------------------
John 18:38
Pilate *said to Him, "What is truth?"

Posts: 112 | From: ball of God-cursed dirt | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorminded,

Amen! I totally agree and God bless you always!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
unregistered

quote:

NONE of those verses are from the crucifition.

Uhhh... Ok - What would they be talking about then? Please enlighten us as to what these verses ARE referring to - Please help me understand what holes in his hands Jesus is referring to then?

I never said anything about being less Christian - It is about literal acceptance of what the word says.

quote:
Way down the list of importance...
Did God order the commandments by order of importance? Do you believe that it is "more" ok to lie than to kill?

Anyway - No more debate over this please Gramajo -

Just let it go.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saintbygrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gramajo320
have you looked at the GREEK of these words hands and feet?

Or is your OPNION based on our poor english.

In the GREEK there is no word for wrist, so hand wasn't as specific as it is for us.

--------------------

Posts: 112 | From: ball of God-cursed dirt | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Favorminded,

A huge amen to your posting above! Jesus Christ was nailed to the cross by his hands and feet and it is scriptural as you have shown with the quoted scriptures. God bless you always.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

I stand by what I said.

NONE of those verses are from the crucifition.

Actually to ME it doesn't change WHO Jesus is if He was nailed in the hands or wrist.

He was still crucifed and died for my sins.

IT was still the same blood that washed me clean

Of ALL the things to debate in Scripture that is way way down on my list of importance.

I don't know how it makes a difference to you though, if you think someone less a Christian because the believe it was wrist rather than hand.

--------------------

Favor Minded
unregistered

quote:
SaintbyGrace says...
Actually NONE of the Gospel accounts of the crucifiction say that they put the nails in His hands...

Are you sure about that??

John 20 (KJV)
25The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the LORD. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.....

then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing

Luke 24: 38- 40
"And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled?; and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet."

Psalms 22: 16
"For dogs have compassed me; the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet."

Zech 13: 6
"And one shall say unto him: What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer: Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends."

NO BROKEN BONES Either....

Ex 12: 46
"In one house shall it be eaten; thou shalt not carry forth ought of the flesh abroad out of the house; neither shall ye break a bone thereof."

Nem 9:12
"They shall leave none of it unto the morning, nor break any bone of it: according to all the ordinances of the Passover they shall keep it."

John 19: 32-36
"Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him. But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they broke not his legs; but one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water. And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true; and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe. For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled: A bone of him shall not be broken."

If any bone of Jesus Christ could not be broken, then a nail could not have been driven through his wrists, because then for sure his wrist bones would be broken. The wrist has eight bones: scaphoid, lunate, triquetrum, pisiform, trapezium, trapezoid, capitate and hamate. These bones are kept tightly together by ligaments, in such a way, that if you drive a nail through the wrist you have to pierce and break some of them. Therefore, Jesus could not be nailed by the wrists, but by the palm of the hand. The five metacarpal bones which constiture the palm of the hand, are separate from each other, and thus a nail can be driven between two of them without breaking any.

There is not the slightest doubt that Jesus was pierced through his hands and not through his wrists, like some weird scholars now want us to believe.

Nevertheless, I will not be surprised if one of these days some weird scholar declares that Jesus was nailed to the cross by his ankles, not by his feet.

There are now some questionable “scholars” that are trying to convince Christians that in ancient times, people never did make a difference between “hand” and “wrist”, in order to justify that Jesus was nailed by the wrist.

This is false. In ancient times they made a difference between hand and wrist. Both, Latin and Greek have a word for wrist: in Latin, it was, “carpus”, and in Greek it was pronounced very similar but written ,“carpoz”. What these dubious scholars say is not true.

Gramajo320
unregistered

Your statement is wrong. Favorminded quoted scripture from the bible in his postings about nails in Jesus's hands. Just read his postings above and you'll see scripture.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

Actually NONE of the Gospel accounts of the crucifiction say that they put the nails in His hands and feet.

--------------------

Favor Minded
unregistered

At least John followed scripture?

Except for the crucifixion...

Gramajo320
unregistered

The Passion Of The Christ is a very powerful movie and I refuse to have any argument whatsoever about it! This movie brought about a world wide revival! If you choose to argue you'll have to do it with someone else. This movie has already been widely discussed.

n Christ's love,
Gramajo320

saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

To bad you didn't feel that way about the movie The Passion

--------------------

Gramajo320
unregistered

In answer to your question it matters for complete accuracy is very important.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

Does it REALLY make any major difference if it was his hands and feet or ankels and wrists.

At least John followed Scripture.

--------------------

Gramajo320
unregistered

Favorminded,

Amen to your posting! It certainly was His hands and feet! Also I very much support The Passion Of The Christ for it is a powerful movie that brought about a world wide revival! I highly recommend this movie.

God bless you always!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Favor Minded
unregistered

Actually,

History does NOT support wrist and ankle -

Only modern science began questioning it some years ago because they came up with the idea that hands and feet could not support their weight.

One scientific engineer proved "how and why" it was done in the hands and feet, thus settling the argument that had been raised.

"History" has tried to replace many old teachings, beliefs, etc - Even to teach that Christ never existed!

Old teachings have been "replaced" to adopt new ideas - The wrist vs hand is just one of them.

Greek Translation (Hand)
5495 cheir khire perhaps from the base of 5494 in the sense of its congener the base of 5490 (through the idea of hollowness for grasping); the hand (literally or figuratively (power); especially (by Hebraism) a means or instrument):--hand.

There is no greeak translation for wrist specfically -

The Bible VERY MUCH distinguishes between wrist and hand -

Acts 12:7
Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. “Quick, get up!” he said, and the chains fell off Peter's wrists.

Jeremiah 40:4
But today I am freeing you from the chains on your wrists. Come with me to Babylon, if you like, and I will look after you; but if you do not want to, then don't come. Look, the whole country lies before you; go wherever you please."

Judges 16:29
Then Samson reached toward the two central pillars on which the temple stood. Bracing himself against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other

John 20:25
So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.”

The Word States SPECIFICALLY in his hands -

You CANNOT translate Hands to Wrists -

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 21 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Gospel of John movie and it is very good. But I liked the Matthew movie better.

-

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

When you look at the greek words for hand, it includes the wrist, and foot includes ankle.

So showing Jesus nailed in the wrist and ankle DOES NOT contradict scripture.

History also shows they were nailed in the wrist and ankle.
Much Much moore painful that way.

--------------------

Favor Minded
unregistered

I support the Passion Movie - Depicted somthing most people don't even think about - The REAL horror that it was for Jesus. The REAL suffering, the REAL pain, the REAL love he demonstrated, crawling onto the cross.

As for the Gospel of John, a GREAT movie with one VERY BLATENT problem -

It catered to the ones who like to teach that the nails were driven through Jesus' wrists, not his hands.

May seem minro to some but he was not supported by his wrists and ankles, it was his hands and feet.

mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize--I'm the one that started (and apparently ended) the huge "Passion" thread. Although I also state that the main subject of the thread changed several times, without my doing.

Just a troublemaker--that's me. [Big Grin]

I'm thinking I may have seen "Gospel Of John" but I need more. Is it the one that stars Richard Harris as John? I may be thinking of another film, though.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

The Passion has been beat to death (somebody bury it)

So how about
The Gospel of John?

Has anyone seen it?
What do the Passion lovers think of this movie?

I LOVE IT!!!

I have Matthew, Acts and John and John is the best so far.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement