Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » Sitcoms..

Author Topic: Sitcoms..
Lunarius
Advanced Member
Member # 4205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunarius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! What a coincidence; I found the SAME THING the other day.

--------------------
"Life is a song, love is the music"

Posts: 133 | From: Alabama (currently) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's something directly related to the subject:

http://www.cnnw.com/articles/articles1-03-3.html

I found it Googling for the title of that Andy Griffith vehicle, which was called "Angel In My Pocket" (1969).

See, I ain't quite senile yet!

[Wink]

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lunarius
Advanced Member
Member # 4205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunarius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey mohawk,
The Andy Griffith thing makes sense because as far as I know he is known to be a Christian actor. Too bad whatever it was he was starting did not last. I'd take anything over the trash that's on televesion these days, even if all of the content and material for a new Christian sitcom was not always as funny, or did not have that wide audience appeal with its "tempered" humor as you put it.

--------------------

Posts: 133 | From: Alabama (currently) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 6 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lunarius

First, thank you so much for your good words to me up in the prayer request forum--every day is a step forward--toward what, the Lord shall reveal.

Yeah, I had completely forgotten (temporarily) about "Amen." I recall it had some solidly funny moments in it. Helmsley played what I considered a sort of "Jack Benny" character who was good hearted, but very stingey. The show was on NBC as I remember. And the young actor who played the church pastor, I think, was a minister in real life as well--along with being an actor.

Now that I think about it, I also remember a good while back there was a sitcom pilot that starred Andy Griffith as a church reverend. It was a made-for-TV movie to start, but didn't make it very long as a sitcom. I can't remember the title, however.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lunarius
Advanced Member
Member # 4205

I totally forgot about the 1986 sitcom "Amen" starring Sherman Hemsley as Deacon Frye. I know many people must remember this one. It was very wholesome, with hilarious moments, due to highly different characteristics between each person. I don't think it was thought of SOLELY as a "Christian" sitcom, as it really reached a wider audience that was simply looking for a good family show; but as it featured praise, worship, prayer, family morals and values, and even Bible studies taking place in a church (all these practiced by every character), It certainly falls into the category of Christian sitcoms.

[thumbsup2]

--------------------

Lunarius
Advanced Member
Member # 4205

Next to that, the cleanest modern sitcom I can think of is something like The Cosby Show, but I don't think that the family's religious affiliation ever plays a part in the series (if they even have one). It is decent entertainment, but it also paints a rather unrealistic view of most American families: very little sibling rivalry, extremely well behaved children for the most part, rarely is morality a concern, etc.. Usually the plot line follows one of the children who has gotten into just a "bit" of an issue in some form or fashion, and then resolves it perfectly by the end of the episode (way too easily).

There is one other show I can think of that is extremely well done and has probably the greatest writing ever; that is MASH. It is not a Christian show persay, but it does delve well into the human spirit in the face of war and tragedy, and directly confronts issues that people would seek God over.

--------------------

mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 6 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's extremely interesting.

Right off the bat, I think of the older sitcoms like Mayberry RFD, and Hazel, and the ones from that era... but they are not "Christian" per se, just rooted in what today we call "family values." Channel flip around Nic-At-Night, I guess.

There are British sitcoms that come close... though they tend to risk straying into ribald territory... there is one called "Father May I."

I would think a "Christian" sitcom would be very difficult to pull off... it would have a hard time finding an audience, even among Christians, because some would inevitably take it as sacreligious. Even a funny Christian rooted feature film would have a hard time, because the humor would always be tempered (in the view of some believers) against being seen as over-the-line, or even too secular. Mine can't be the only opinion... anyone else? I'd like to discuss this too.

Lunarius
Advanced Member
Member # 4205

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Lunarius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking to myself.. I've seen so many different forms of Christian media expressed many different ways, but I can't figure this out:
Has there ever been a Christian sitcom?!? I know about shows like 7th Heaven and the like, but those are hour-long dramas. Unless, for some reason, obvious examples are not penetrating my brain.. ( [Roll Eyes] ) Can anyone tell me if Christian sitcoms exist?

Thanks

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement